prospective point sparrer

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
For some reason, my recent time studying taekwondo has sparked personal interest in point sparring. I have participated in a small federation tournament. I had around twelve competitors in my division in sparring, hand forms and weapons forms. My dojunim has a bad taste in his mouth from past experience in open tournaments ie. stolen sparring gear a lack of respect for judges and letting competition override sportsmanship.
I am approaching this cautiously as I do not want to go against him, however I am wondering how much of the afore mentioned trouble is common in open events.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It all depends on which organization the tournament falls under. It's best to be familiar with the rules, and stick with an organization that best fits your preferences.

For example, at a USA Karate (formerly USANKF)-sanctioned tournament, disrespect for the referees and judges can result in being tossed out of the tournament, and even banned from that event (unless reinstated). Most of your officiating crew will be certified judges / referees who know the rules, and can apply them properly. While it's not a perfect system (judges are human, after all), it does cut out a lot of the inconsistencies that you'll see with some of the more chaotic tournaments.

If anything, I would encourage you check out one of the USA Karate regional tournaments, if you're interested in clean competition that uses practical rules (sweeps and throws are allowed, strikes to the back are allowed, etc). Just go there as a spectator. Let your experience tell you if it's right for you.

USA Karate

Even though these venues are Karate tournaments, there are some Tae Kwon Do folks who compete at them, and they are certainly welcome to do so, as long as they follow the rules.

Regarding your experience with "open" tournaments, I also share the same sentiment for many of them. The types of sparring that go on sometimes enter the territory of silliness, where these "officials" will give points for someone jumping in the air, and throwing a feeble backfist to someone's body. Or, they'll penalize you for hitting the opponent in the back (even though some of those competitors deliberately turn their backs to you as much as possible in order to exploit a silly rule). Or, a competitor may simply stick his leg in the air, repeatedly kicking at you, knowing that he can't be legally swept or thrown...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tournaments are a whole bunch of people competing against each other, using a set of rules not always familiar to those judging, broken into sections designated by various colored uniform cloths that are awarded to them by their trainers. And they're usually a whole lot of fun. You'll be exposed to all kinds of people, all kinds of fighters and should have a whole lot of fun doing it. You might have to go to a few before you get a feel for it or know if you'll like it, but, hey, have some fun.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
some good points, things to think about. My main study is Tung Soo Do. I have also trained in Krav Maga and Chi-Ni, but since Taekwondo I have seen and heard an awful lot about tournaments. I think this is where the interest comes from. That, and a bad back so my intentions of MMA are now out of the question.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Probably would not go wandering off competing without your bosses aproval. Especially if you are representing your club. I would have a frank and honest discussion first.

Some people are really sensitive about that kind of thing.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
my school has a policy of no outside tournaments without prior approval from Dojunim. I have great respect for those in my school and would never go against our policies.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
For some reason, my recent time studying taekwondo has sparked personal interest in point sparring. I have participated in a small federation tournament. I had around twelve competitors in my division in sparring, hand forms and weapons forms. My dojunim has a bad taste in his mouth from past experience in open tournaments ie. stolen sparring gear a lack of respect for judges and letting competition override sportsmanship.
I am approaching this cautiously as I do not want to go against him, however I am wondering how much of the afore mentioned trouble is common in open events.

So how long have you been with your school? I personally would not want to go to a dojo that causes trouble at tournaments.

And the name Runs With Fire sounds like an Indian name, are you Indian?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
my school has a policy of no outside tournaments without prior approval from Dojunim. I have great respect for those in my school and would never go against our policies.

Yes, unfortunately small in house tournaments like these really have a lower than average level of the competitors. Meaning, quite often you do not get to compete against really good people just some average locals and maybe one or two good competitors. Go to a big tournament, particularly a national one like an NBL or NASAKA tournament and the quality of the athletes goes way up.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To the OP if you do want to compete talk with your instructor and get their permission. Then go and compete at the absolute best tournaments where you can experience really good competition!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've never cared for rules like that. It's not much of a tournament when you're sparring the same people you can spar with anytime. And it always makes me wonder if the instructors lack confidence in what they're teaching.
We're definitely not a sport-oriented school. But students are welcome to compete if they desire, and (especially with younger students) one of the instructors will go with them.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
About that rule on not being allowed to participate in outside tournaments, how can they control what you do outside the dojo?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
About that rule on not being allowed to participate in outside tournaments, how can they control what you do outside the dojo?

If the instructor finds out you do not follow his rules it is showing disrespect for him and he can kick you out of the school.

going to tournaments with out a black belt from your school to keep you in line or to back you up may not be as problematic as it was years ago but it is not a good idea. Some folks take tournaments way to seriously and will want to meet you in the parking lot if they do not like you or lose to you.
Get your instructors permission. Explain to him you wish to experience a larger tournament.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just took first in a federation tournament; around fifty competitors in all, although only three in my division. The issue of outside tournaments has been brought up and Dojunim has expressed a willingness to allow interested individuals to seek larger tournaments under his supervision. Our studio operates on high respect for the style and authority.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
So how long have you been with your school? I personally would not want to go to a dojo that causes trouble at tournaments.

And the name Runs With Fire sounds like an Indian name, are you Indian?

I have been at my school four years. I am not American Indian although I have been given an Indian name. My birth name is actually the Hebrew name, Jordan

Last edited:
OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never cared for rules like that. It's not much of a tournament when you're sparring the same people you can spar with anytime. And it always makes me wonder if the instructors lack confidence in what they're teaching.
We're definitely not a sport-oriented school. But students are welcome to compete if they desire, and (especially with younger students) one of the instructors will go with them.

We have never been barred from tournaments of any kind, It is his wishes that out of honor and respect we gain permission to enter any events. it is not just an ornery old man trying to control his students, but rather a mutual level of respect and understanding that has been established between students and leadership.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Also our federation currently has fourteen schools, mostly in Michigan, but I think: one in Kentucky, one in Indiana and two in Florida.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
not as such, but is thought of that way. More specifically I was named after the Hebrew spiritual references of the Jordan river. Just that it was put into ordinary English as such.

Latest Discussions