Tournament on the 28th

OnAQuest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I participated in my first tournament several months back in the Men's Beginner Sparring division and won that fairly easily.

I've been training since then for my 2nd tournament which will be the Men's Intermediate division, and I'm anxious to see how I do.

I last competed as a yellow belt, for this tournament I'll be an Orange belt that's ready to test for purple.

I competed at a bodyweight of 230lbs bench pressing around 275 for reps of 6.

I will be competing at a bodyweight of 247lbs bench pressing 330 for reps of 6. (all other lifts are compareable and I'm fairly well balanced.)

My instructors say that I'm faster, and it's possible that I am.

--------------------------------------------------

With all of that being said:

What general improvements in my opponents do some of you veterans think I can expect? Will they have improved from beginner to intermediate both physically and skillwise?

The arts that I could be fighting range among all of the standing martial arts. Kung Fu, Kenpo, Karate, etc etc (It's the AZMARRS tournaments)

The way I see it, I have two weeks to lock down any final progress, and I'd just like to know everyones thoughts.

It's my goal to try and win enough points to make the nationals this year (granted it will probably be the intermediate division for the most part...)

Your time is much appreciated.

I don't expect to win.

But I'm sure trying to. =)

OnAQuest

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I participated in my first tournament several months back in the Men's Beginner Sparring division and won that fairly easily.

Congrats! Even more so, for coming out of that division with no injuries. I cringe when I see some of those men's beginner divisions, since control is often lacking, and tempers can flare.

I've been training since then for my 2nd tournament which will be the Men's Intermediate division, and I'm anxious to see how I do.

If you stick to your guns, use good fundamental techniques, and strategies that work well for you, then you should do just fine. Remember, you do what you do best, not what the other guy does best.

Never try to out-wrestle a wrestler, out-kick a kicker, etc.

What general improvements in my opponents do some of you veterans think I can expect? Will they have improved from beginner to intermediate both physically and skillwise?

Physically, they'll probably be in better shape than the beginners. What will have most likely improved, though, is that their techniques will be cleaner, control will be better, and their timing will have improved significantly. Also, be aware that they can probably throw some combinations of techniques, instead of relying on just a couple of them.

OP
OnAQuest

OnAQuest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you very much.

I'll definitely be sticking to what I'm good at, and will take into account the fact that there will be more combos present, as well as timing.

OP
OnAQuest

OnAQuest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sorry for my absence, my online business has been keeping my busy.

I won the Men's Intermediate Division tournament hosted by AZMARRS on the 28th.

In addition to that the following week tested and passed for my Purple Belt. =)

I'm looking forward to the next tournament. My instructor Mr. Sandoval wants me to keep going at the Intermediate Division this year and see if I can't get into Nationals and see how well I do in those.

One thing that I did notice, as I won my final match 4 to 2 and the timer ran out. Was that my opponent kept backing up and keeping his distance from me. And I understand why he did because when he got aggressive with me he ran into a front kick which knocked him down. (I was 250lbs at the tournament, benching 330lbs for reps of 6 and squatting 350 for reps of 10)

And after 3 minutes of fighting.....if that fight had to go another 30 seconds I'd of been in jeapordy of losing. I was winded badly.

So with that said.

I'm working my way down to 240lbs, and attempting to maintain my previous levels of strength. I'm going to up the cardio, whereas I trained 3 times per week in MA, I'm going to try for 4.

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it! Hopefully with my work ethic I will find myself in the Nationals this year. I'm excited.

OnAQuest