Righteous indignation... wish me luck.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah you Yanks, always have to go OTT! here you rent the local leisure centre, you have medals for the first three places and the local St Johns Ambulance volunteers do the medic bit for a donation. Dan grades ref and score and Bobs your uncle an enjoyable time is had by all. PA systems, scoreboard? you're having a larf mate.
What you're doing is put a professonal show on akin to our MMA shows and we make money at them! Why go overboard with all the professional staging stuff?
No. pro show by any means, just two different animals. These are meets for all belts all levels. If they come they come. If not, you still need to rent the space because you cannot assume they are not coming. The sparring event we are involved in use the electronic scoring system with the triggers and all. You need a PA system to announce instructions to all the competitor across the entire venu. Remember these are bracketed events not 1 on 1 and that is it. So there are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd placing.

Just two different types of events is all.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. pro show by any means, just two different animals. These are meets for all belts all levels. If they come they come. If not, you still need to rent the space because you cannot assume they are not coming. The sparring event we are involved in use the electronic scoring system with the triggers and all. You need a PA system to announce instructions to all the competitor across the entire venu. Remember these are bracketed events not 1 on 1 and that is it. So there are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd placing.

Just two different types of events is all.

I've competed in many karate tournaments in this country and thats what I'm comparing yours to. We had bracketed events, the BJJ comps here do as well as the karate, with as 1-3 places sometimes even fourth place.
I competed full contact so it was easy to tell if you scored, no need for electronis to tell us it was a hit. The comps I went to were for all grades as well, adults and children, kata and kumite. Believe it or not I do know what I'm talking about!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a balance. I've been to some really well run, smaller tournaments with no huge master scoreboard. You do pretty much need a PA -- and even then you have to send a couple of runners around for half the events. Rent on a facility for the 8 to 10 hours you're likely to need (don't forget set up and tear down) will run you somewhere around $1000 to $2000 -- or more. Sometimes an extra fee if you need AC running... You can't forget insurance, either, because almost any facility is going to insist that you have insurance. Say another $1000 for the day, at a guess. You see how it starts to run up in cost... Let's skip the monster trophies that are so common, and let's just have medals or ribbons. Keep the divisions to a manageable level*... and you're still talking several hundred or more.

Running a tournament runs to the tune of at least a couple thousand in the States, I think... and probably more like seven to ten thousand... And there just aren't lots of spectator tickets sold in general. There are only so many friends and families willing to hang around a gym on a Saturday!

*Figure 3 event categories (sparring, empty hand forms, and weapon forms). Break the youth division up into about 4 or 5 divisions (8 and under, 8-10, 11-13, 13-15, 16-17), and 4 weight classes (light, middle, heavy, super) for fighting. Maybe 2 or 3 adult age divisions (18 to 35, 36 to 50, 50+). About 4 or 5 skill levels -- novice (white/gold, 9th -6th kyu ), intermediate(green, 5th to 3rd), advanced (brown, 2nd-1st kyu), black belt, maybe advanced black. And, of course, mens & womens categories.... Adds up to a lot of medals or trophies or ribbons quick, huh? I keep hitting something like 144 first place alone, in the youth division! I'm doing the figuring in my head, so it's very possible I'm not right... But that'd be 2 (for sex) times 18 (5 youth divisions in 3 events plus an extra 3 for sparring) time 4 (skill levels)... Somebody who's run these check that, 'cause it seems like a hell of a lot!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've competed in many karate tournaments in this country and thats what I'm comparing yours to. We had bracketed events, the BJJ comps here do as well as the karate, with as 1-3 places sometimes even fourth place.
I competed full contact so it was easy to tell if you scored, no need for electronis to tell us it was a hit. The comps I went to were for all grades as well, adults and children, kata and kumite. Believe it or not I do know what I'm talking about!
Not sure, I could be wrong but I get the feeling that you take everything I say as a challenge. I never said you did not know what you were talking about. I am only stating what I know for the states and I acknowledge that you are doing the same for the UK. I am not trying to prove anything just stating what I have done just as you are. Again I am not directing any thought or care of you knowing or not know what you are talking about. Just contributing to the thread with the knowledge of what it is like and cost to run a non MMA but amature martial arts event here in the states.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure, I could be wrong but I get the feeling that you take everything I say as a challenge. I never said you did not know what you were talking about. I am only stating what I know for the states and I acknowledge that you are doing the same for the UK. I am not trying to prove anything just stating what I have done just as you are. Again I am not directing any thought or care of you knowing or not know what you are talking about. Just contributing to the thread with the knowledge of what it is like and cost to run a non MMA but amature martial arts event here in the states.

You write everything as a challenge whenever you answer me.

Your costs are vastly higher than we have to pay for. A leisure centre would charge about £30 an hour, so £300 for ten hours. That includes the use of changing rooms etc. Insurance, everyone has their own or can't compete. However public liability insurance doesn't cost much, about £30-60.
We don't have the big trophy thing here, standard is small trophies and you get them wholesale. We use glass custom ones for the MMA and they don't cost that much! I know how much the karate type cost..far less.

Latest Discussions