Proper Punching

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was sitting here thinking about all this information on proper punching technique, and going over it in my mind, then realized (duh!) that I've been mostly thinking about it in relation to a single punch, which we don't often do in real life. This is where repetition of basic techniques until they're right, and continuing after, to make sure they stay right, come in handy. To actually have to think about all this in a second or two would not be the most pleasant experience while also trying to avoid having your opponent clean your clock.
Then your strikes become utilizatioins of points on a larger circle from which you can generate even more power.
Sean

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was sitting here thinking about all this information on proper punching technique, and going over it in my mind, then realized (duh!) that I've been mostly thinking about it in relation to a single punch, which we don't often do in real life. This is where repetition of basic techniques until they're right, and continuing after, to make sure they stay right, come in handy. To actually have to think about all this in a second or two would not be the most pleasant experience while also trying to avoid having your opponent clean your clock.

You may inject many variables. Whether on offense or defense, the first punch will remain the same in execution. Further, the second offensive or defensive punch, does not have to take a circuitous route to its intended target.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess I'm with Donald here. I still don't see the foot moving first, and I've tried. It is intuitive to me that the feet, knees, thighs provide an integral support system but I don't see them as the impetus for the strike. Hips and core, backed up by our structure to the floor. It works for me, even if I'm wrong.
icon12.gif

if your strike does not start from the ground...from your base then moving your hips is just wiggling your ..bum. think physics and you will see that you need the "counter-force" of the ground to strike properly with force the hips direct that force they do not produce it. Try striking someone while standing in one of those inflated play gyms kids love.

respectfully,
Marlon

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is part 2 of a series of threads on the proper way to do our Kenpo. :) Part 1 was proper kicking. So in this thread, I would like to talk about punching. There is discussion on the proper anatomical way to execute your stirkes to get the most out of them in addition to avoid injury, both at the time of execution as well as long term.

So..on with the discussion. What do you feel is the best way to get the most out of your punch? :)

Mike

use your hips to give it more power and use your first two knuckle because they are strongest.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All this talk of proper hip and body torque makes me wonder if enough attention is being payed to the fist, shoulder, and elbow.
Sean

Reactions: MJS
OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm giving my thoughts from a position of movement, not being in a static stance.

Footwork: Without this, our punches probably won't reach our target and probably won't be as effective.

Proper alignment and execution: Not telegraphing your strikes. Are you throwing a straight punch (cross) and raising your elbow or keeping it in? Proper hand position for the strike you're throwing. ie: a hook punch. Hand vertical or horizontal.

Stepping and rotation of the hips: This IMO goes hand in hand with the footwork. Are you throwing your strikes without any hip movement? If so, the power is going to be cut in half.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Contact with the first and second knuckles, align the metacarpals with the radius and ulna. Fire the hip first, don't lock the elbow. Tight fist. Hit the heavy bag, it can't lie and it's your best indicator.

I would say fire the hip last. I would say that you must begin the movement of the hand, relax the forward knee to begin body weight moving forward, then fire the hip so that you are still accelerating on contact. If you fire the hip first, and it is no longer moving on impact, you may as well be in a horse stance.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say fire the hip last. I would say that you must begin the movement of the hand, relax the forward knee to begin body weight moving forward, then fire the hip so that you are still accelerating on contact. If you fire the hip first, and it is no longer moving on impact, you may as well be in a horse stance.
I agree. Your elbow should be centering as you kneel or BECOME THE CROUCHING TIGER! Then fire with the hip.-vampfeed-
Sean

Latest Discussions