Promotion stanrdards (Split from Is it disrespectful to ask [...])

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was thinking about asking after class when I'm a black belt, if he has less of a problem with it then since I've already been taught the fundamentals of the modern way of doing it. I have been training for 4 years and will recieve my black belt next year.
Eugh I hate when people say that "you will recieve your black belt next year" well how do you know you will you may fail the test I just can't stand it when people say that like they know they're going to be given no matter what

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Eugh I hate when people say that "you will recieve your black belt next year" well how do you know you will you may fail the test I just can't stand it when people say that like they know they're going to be given no matter what
Agreed always makes me cringe

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
WOW you can kick a mitt and jump? Wow give this guy a black belt right now

Believe it or not, most students struggle with executing proper sidekicks. They throw them like front kicks on the side extended. Even my buddy who is more flexible than I and has done TKD in the past doesn't get the mechanics down correctly.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Believe it or not, most students struggle with executing proper sidekicks. They throw them like front kicks on the side extended. Even my buddy who is more flexible than I and has done TKD in the past doesn't get the mechanics down correctly.
What a load of rubbish side kicks are some of the easiest kicks you can throw also what does flexibility have to do with anything you can throw side kicks as low as the knee

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe because he gives me the thumbs up whenever I sidekick a mitts?:cool: Has openly stated that I'm good, says I'm a great jumper. To hear that from a 9th dan who is a perfectionist is very gratefying. But my journey has of course only begun.
That's not what he was asking, just because you can throw a kick doesn't mean you're going to pass the test, the others on the panel may fail you, you may just have a bad day. If you go into the test /knowing/ you're getting the belt then there's something wrong. Either your instructor just gives them out or you're over confident and arrogant to believe you're going to pass no matter what

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's not what he was asking, just because you can throw a kick doesn't mean you're going to pass the test, the others on the panel may fail you, you may just have a bad day. If you go into the test /knowing/ you're getting the belt then there's something wrong. Either your instructor just gives them out or you're over confident and arrogant to believe you're going to pass no matter what

He is a grandmaster, chief instructor, and president of the federation in my country. Nobody but him grades me. And I will not fail.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I understand what makes people cringe when they hear statements like "i will get my black belt next year" but let's be honest, a good teacher won't let a student test unless he feels the student is ready, and if the teacher had been giving feedback indicating that the progress is good and the test will likely happen next year, then the test will likely happen next year and the student will likely pass.

The student still needs to bring his top game to the test and still needs to prove his mettle, and it should not be a guarantee just for showing up, but it will likely happen.

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I understand what makes people cringe when they hear statements like "i will get my black belt next year" but let's be honest, a good teacher won't let a student test unless he feels the student is ready, and if the teacher had been giving feedback indicating that the progress is good and the test will likely happen next year, then the test will likely happen next year and the student will likely pass.

The student still needs to bring his top game to the test and still needs to prove his mettle, and it should not be a guarantee just for showing up, but it will likely happen.

How about that question?:)

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score

Anyone can have a bad day

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
He is a grandmaster, chief instructor, and president of the federation in my country. Nobody but him grades me. And I will not fail.
If that is the case then should be a chance of you failing if he's so strict there should be no guarantees

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
If that is the case then should be a chance of you failing if he's so strict there should be no guarantees

First degree black belt is not meant to be super strict. First degree is really when it all begins and you know the basics.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyone can have a bad day
Sure. And that likely will not prevent the promotion.

Let's be honest here. When a teacher allows a student to test, in most cases he has already decided to grant the promotion. The test is just a formality for what will happen regardless. I think that in most cases a student would need to do quite poorly indeed, fall apart nearly completely, to make a teacher change his mind.

The promotion isn't granted based on the test. The promotion is granted based on a track record of dedicated training and progression, shown over months and years. The test is just a formality.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First degree black belt is not meant to be super strict. First degree is really when it all begins and you know the basics.

It should also be a wake up call to be more humble because you've realised you actually know very little.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
What a load of rubbish side kicks are some of the easiest kicks you can throw
Well, a respected grandmaster mentions that some people feel you can judge a person's TKD by his/her sidekick (beginning of attached video).

also what does flexibility have to do with anything you can throw side kicks as low as the knee

And I can do amazing basketball dunks on a 5 foot high net. But that does not make me amazing at dunking :)

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, a respected grandmaster mentions that some people feel you can judge a person's TKD by his/her sidekick (beginning of attached video).

And I can do amazing basketball dunks on a 5 foot high net. But that does not make me amazing at dunking :)
A side kick to the knee is a million times more effective than one to the head

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well it should be because that's when you start getting to instructor level when kids walk in the door and see a black belt they look up to that person and will follow what they do, so if you're not that good they'll be copying bad habits so yeah it should be strict. All tests should be strict in my eyes if they're not that's when you start getting black belts who are garbage and then falling into mcdojo territory

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Axiom: "Believe it or not, most students struggle with executing proper sidekicks."

Headhunter: "What a load of rubbish side kicks are some of the easiest kicks you can throw also what does flexibility have to do with anything you can throw side kicks as low as the knee."

Gwai Lo Dan: "Well, a respected grandmaster mentions that some people feel you can judge a person's TKD by his/her sidekick (beginning of attached video). And I can do amazing basketball dunks on a 5 foot high net. But that does not make me amazing at dunking."

Personally, I think side-kicks are challenging. As shown in that video:
  • We're taught that the base foot should pivot 180 or nearly so, so that it's facing away from the target.
  • As shown in the video, we're taught that the kicking knee should be chambered to the chest with the shin parallel to the ground.
  • And of course the kicking foot is pulled back into a foot-blade, which serves as the striking surface.
  • Then at full extension, there's only a slight hip turn-over -- WITH THE HIPS IN -- so that you can feel the entire muscle chain along the side, the glutes, and the legs all engaging.
  • (As Axiom and that video point-out, a lot of beginners perform the kick with the hip pulled back, so that the kick isn't kicking fully to the side -- so you don't get that nice long muscle chain engaging.)
  • At our school, for testing purposes, all kicks need to be above the belt at least, and that includes the side kick of course.
  • We keep both fists chambered in front of the torso.
  • And then of course after the kick, the kicking knee needs to retract most of the way back to the chest before finally stepping down.
  • All of that happens on one leg of course, without losing balance.
Personally there's no one item on that list that I find difficult -- but simultaneously doing EVERYTHING on that list is, in my opinion.

I would agree with Headhunter though that if you're only kicking as high as the knee, a side kick is much easier.

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm referring to the rear leg sidekick, just so you guys now. Lead leg sidekick is not particularly intricate. The downside with having a rear leg sidekick as your strong point, is that it's almost never used in sparring. It takes too long to execute and heavily telegraphed. You should ideally be good at a technique which is practical, and the rear leg sidekick frankly isn't.

But it's always nice to hear how much Taekwondo intructors treasure it from a forms perspective.

Latest Discussions