Processing Kukkiwon Dan Certificates

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
I received an email letting me know that the USTC should be able to start processing Kukkwon Dan Certificates by April.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not understand? I know the founder of the USTC should be able to process Dan ranks he is over a fourth. I guess what you mean is the KKW is going to make the USTC an official processor like the USAT is? If so what are there fee's and how long will it take? Just curious!

OP
D

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
"the KKW is going to make the USTC an official processor like the USAT "

Yes, I dont know the details yet. I have to imagine that USAT cant continue to process them after that time but I dont know that for sure.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"the KKW is going to make the USTC an official processor like the USAT "

Yes, I dont know the details yet. I have to imagine that USAT cant continue to process them after that time but I dont know that for sure.

Do you have any ideal when the details are forth comings.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why would you bother to go through the ustc or the usat? If you are a 4th dan or higher you can do it online by yourself. All you need is a scanner for the photo's and a cc# for the fee. Going through any org is only going to cost you more money in the first place. Unless the KKW is going to stop allowing us to get them independantly.....Doubtful though.

OP
D

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Valid point. I just got the email so part of my posting and watching is to see how that pans out.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Valid point. I just got the email so part of my posting and watching is to see how that pans out.
Funny that I did not get that email. I was in Chicago with you and get every other email from Harris. I do know why they are accepting 1st and 2nd dans now. They are not getting as many participants as they need to cover the KKW's expenses. They do not care about making money. They want to be in charge of KKW USA if and when they get approved.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Funny that I did not get that email. I was in Chicago with you and get every other email from Harris. I do know why they are accepting 1st and 2nd dans now. They are not getting as many participants as they need to cover the KKW's expenses. They do not care about making money. They want to be in charge of KKW USA if and when they get approved.

Matt, the blurb about the USTC processing KKW applications was in the email about the new program for 1st and 2nd dan instructor classes. In fact, GM Harris used the term "KKW USA."

OP
D

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
"They want to be in charge of KKW USA if and when they get approved. "

I am pretty sure that already happened.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Matt, the blurb about the USTC processing KKW applications was in the email about the new program for 1st and 2nd dan instructor classes. In fact, GM Harris used the term "KKW USA."

TYVM. I looked again and saw it. Still don't know why anyone would go through them................ unless the KKW USA will be the only way for us to get them. Scary thought....

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
According to the new project of Kukkiwon on 2010, Kukkiwon Overseas Branch,
We are informing the result of the evaluation of Kukkiwon Overseas Branch establishment.

1. Applied Nations and Organizations of the Kukkiwon Overseas Branch

Continent Pan-Am Europe Oceania Asia
Nation &
Organizations 6 Nations
8 Organizations 5 Nations
7 Organizations 1 Nations
4 Organizations 9 Nations
13 Organizations

2. Selectional Committee of the Kukkiwon Overseas Branch
Name Position
Mr. SONG, Bong Sup The Vice President of the Kukkiwon
Mr. PARK, Hyun Sup The Vice President of the Kukkiwon Academy
Mr. KIM, Chul Oh The Secretary General of the Kukkiwon
Mr. KIM, Young Tae Member of the Selectional Committee of the Kukkiwon Overseas Branch.
Mr. HWANG, Choon Seung Member of the Selectional Committee of the Kukkiwon Overseas Branch.
Mr. KIM, Joong Young Member of the Selectional Committee of the Kukkiwon Overseas Branch.

3. Results of the evaluation
&#9633; Result of the selected Kukkiwon Overseas Branch

Nation Results
Europe Europe Taekwondo Union was selected as the Kukkiwon Overseas Branch
by Europe, except for England, Germany, Spain and France.
Italy Taekwondo Association was selected as the Kukkiwon Overseas Branch
by Italy.
U.S.A USTC(President Lee Sang Chul) was selected as the Kukkiwon Overseas Branch
by USA.
Oceania Oceania Taekwondo Union was selected as the Kukkiwon Overseas Branch
by Oceania, except for Australia and New Zealand.
Asia/Africa After the consideration of the condition of the Taekwondo, the overseas branch for the Asia and Africa will be decided afterwards.

&#9633; Valid date of the Kukkiwon Overseas Branch:
The valid date of the Kukkiwon Overseas Branch will be 2 years.

&#9633; The function of the Kukkiwon Overseas Branch.
The overseas branch should educate the Kukkiwon Taekwondo,
publicize the Kukkiwon and hold the Kukkiwon related events.

Sang Lee will be in charge of the KKW USA. Yes that is the Sang Lee who used to run the USTU

Its Ground Hog Day

spinny

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
TYVM. I looked again and saw it. Still don't know why anyone would go through them................ unless the KKW USA will be the only way for us to get them. Scary thought....

I'm pretty much ignorant of all this, but...A lot of the black belts I know never bothered with Kukkiwon certification because some people had trouble with applications disappearing. They sent the stuff, but got no certification, their money disappeared, and never heard back from the KKW officials.

I've heard some people reconsidering applying in the hope that making the process domestic will help those issues.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm pretty much ignorant of all this, but...A lot of the black belts I know never bothered with Kukkiwon certification because some people had trouble with applications disappearing. They sent the stuff, but got no certification, their money disappeared, and never heard back from the KKW officials.

I've heard some people reconsidering applying in the hope that making the process domestic will help those issues.

Been there done that, paid the crooks and watched them run laughing.

Unfortunately, it was the instructors taking the money and not KKW. Those corrupt people who claimed they had "ties to Korea and can get you certified" screwed over alot of people and gave the KKW a bad name.

But now in the digital/electronics age, the world has shrunk and information is more easily available to all. Back then it was a big secret that many did not want to let out about how to go about certifying individuals because they would loose money if eveyone knew. Now is the easiest access to KKW that it has ever been in the history of KKW.

No more paying middle men. As a 4th you can go directly through KKW on their website to promote your students.

Their are Orgs out there who can process Dan certifications as well. It is no more of "who you know".

In the end, its just a peice of paper to some, but something more important to others... Thats up to you. But dont let the past hassles cloud your decisions today. Things have changed.... you decide if its for the better.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just to add on that.... Here's a senario of how it used to be where I was from...

There was one Korean instructor who "had a connection to KKW".
  • He processed his applications for his students and his school
  • Other schools in the area had no connection so they had to promote through him.
  • He had outragous rates for the DANS, and he tacked on his fees to the other schools, even requiring them to "pay" portions of "all" testing Dues (not just BB).
  • He had an extremely long wait time for DAN certs because he knew the longer he held them the more money he would make.
  • He would require students to train longer, usually twice as long between DANS to maximize income and reduce them getting the belt and leaving.
  • He basically Monopolized the market and made a killing on fees and outside testing income coming in.
  • If anyone got on his badside or did not agree, they were Blackballed from the area, events and schools.
This was your classic abuse of power. Play by his rules or you were screwed. My own (first) instructor found himself on the outs when he refuesed to pay "royalties" to another school. He said screw KKW.

These days, this guy has no power anymore. His reign ended.... funny and ironically, right around the time of Sang Lees (USTU) demise. Not saying they were related at all..... but a funny coincidence none the less.

OP
D

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why use USTC...

"With respect to the issue of Kukkiwon promotions, US Kukkiwon's goal is for
a two week turnaround time. In addition, each instructor will receive a 10%
rebate from each fee, with no requirement for individual or club membership.
So instead of costing you more to process Kukkiwon poom and dan
certification like USAT or USNTF, it actually costs less, with a quicker
turnaround time."

Also great news for folks attending the VA Instructors class.

"Kukkiwon President Seung Wan LEE, along with Kukkiwon Vice President Dr.
Hyun Sup PARK will be present for the 1st US Kukkiwon Instructor Course to
be held in Virginia. President Lee feels that the United States is one of
the most important branches and therefore he is coming to both encourage the
participants as well as to meet new people in the Kukkiwon world. This is
President Lee's first trip to the United States since becoming Kukkiwon
President last year.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why use USTC...

"With respect to the issue of Kukkiwon promotions, US Kukkiwon's goal is for
a two week turnaround time. In addition, each instructor will receive a 10%
rebate from each fee, with no requirement for individual or club membership.
So instead of costing you more to process Kukkiwon poom and dan
certification like USAT or USNTF, it actually costs less, with a quicker
turnaround time."

Also great news for folks attending the VA Instructors class.

"Kukkiwon President Seung Wan LEE, along with Kukkiwon Vice President Dr.
Hyun Sup PARK will be present for the 1st US Kukkiwon Instructor Course to
be held in Virginia. President Lee feels that the United States is one of
the most important branches and therefore he is coming to both encourage the
participants as well as to meet new people in the Kukkiwon world. This is
President Lee's first trip to the United States since becoming Kukkiwon
President last year.

I guess I shall have to iron my uniform...

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I received this Press Release from GM Bruce Harris concerning the USTC's processing of KKW dan certificates:

PRESS RELEASE

The United States Taekwondo Committee, the parent organization of U.S. Kukkiwon, announces that it is now accepting Kukkiwon Dan Applications for processing through Kukkiwon- The World Taekwondo Headquarters in Korea. U.S. Kukkiwon is the officially recognized Kukkiwon Overseas Branch in the United States of America.

In order to process Kukkiwon Dan Applications through U.S. Kukkiwon a minimum 4th Dan Kukkiwon Instructor must register with U.S. Kukkiwon by filling out a brief application form that may be found on the U.S. Kukkiwon website- www.uskkw.com. The purpose of this application is to establish a file with U.S. Kukkiwon so that we may be able to provide quick service to you in the processing of your Kukkiwon Dan applications. There is no fee to register for Dan processing with U.S. Kukkiwon.

Grandmasters who have an established Regional or National Taekwondo organization may also process Kukkiwon Dan Applications through U.S. Kukkiwon. Grandmasters and leaders of such Regional or National Organizations should register their organization with U.S. Kukkiwon and provide our office a list of your 4th Dan Kukkiwon Black Belt holders and higher. That way we will be able to cross-reference the names that you provide in cases where individuals in your organization may try to process Dan applications directly with U.S. Kukkiwon without going through your organization.

4th Dan and higher Kukkiwon Masters or Grandmasters who are not affiliated with a private Regional or National organization may process Kukkiwon Dan applications for their students directly with U.S. Kukkiwon by registering individually with U.S. Kukkiwon.

All who process their Kukkiwon Dan Applications through U.S. Kukkiwon will get a 10% discounted fee on all Kukkiwon Dan applications processed with U.S. Kukkiwon, and you may expect an approximate 30-day turnaround from the time that your Dan applications are received to the time that you will receive them. This does not include any time that it will take to register with U.S. Kukkiwon.

The Dan Application Process includes going to the U.S. Kukkiwon website and downloading a Kukkiwon Dan Application that you may either complete and mail in, or complete and send via email with a photo saved in .jpg format (smaller than 200 kb). Mail applications should be sent to: US Kukkiwon 1316 North Academy Boulevard/Colorado Springs, CO 80909

irgordon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The KOMS program seems to be growing, I am glad to see the Kukkiwon is now acting directly to get school owners legitimate access to Kukkiwon Dan certifications. There has been a lot of shysty business going on with the Koreans and certain organization and associations that "processed" your application.

I'm not saying the school owner or association can't attach a small fee but, more than $200, for the whole process is outrageous, especially since its only $70 for direct from Kukkiwon. If you are a registered 4th Dan, you have the right of recommendation up to 2nd Dan (maybe 3rd??).

I am more interested in having the Instructor Training program established in the US, so we can get Instructor, Master Instructor and other Kukkiwon certifications without travelling overseas to train.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not saying the school owner or association can't attach a small fee but, more than $200, for the whole process is outrageous, especially since its only $70 for direct from Kukkiwon. If you are a registered 4th Dan, you have the right of recommendation up to 2nd Dan (maybe 3rd??).

Kukkiwon 4th Dans and above can promote to one grade below themselves (with the exception of 9th Dans that can only promote up to 7th Dan - 8th and 9th must be taken at the Kukkiwon).

Cheers,

Andy

Latest Discussions