The state of TKD

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was just talking on the phone this morning about the state of TKD in general here in the U.S.? One of the people was saying we have too many organization trying to get majority control of the KKW status here in the states, what is your take on this? Why can't we just find a common ground for the betterment of U.S. TKD? What can be some of the steps we need to make sure the TKD will continue to grow here in the US? Are we really that far behind in the sport aspect that we will not even be sending what is consider the Nation best to fight in Germany and some other venues? What is going to happen if we continue down this path of self destruction?

I know alot of whay ifs but I have been hearing more and more ove rthe last couple of weeks about the power struggle that is going on between high people with different orgs withen the U.S..

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
You may get two answers on this. I say two because you mentioned the Sport aspect and competing.
On this I just dont know.
At the same time I think the other half is exciting. There are many TKDist that will love the Kukkiwon courses, Hanmadang and focus on the more traditional aspects. In some ways a rebirth of TKD for these folks as there is a focus for them and how they train. In that vain the Sate of the art for these folks is heading in the right direction.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
My club is not affiliated with the kukkiwon so I am certainly no expert on the subject. What I can say though , is we are getting more and more people joining clubs like ours because they dont want any affiliation , they are sick of politics , power struggle and the direction of tkd in general. While this is the case, the kukkiwon need to act because when people start seeking out non-affiliated clubs to try to get away from the kukkiwon it cant be a good thing for them.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ralph, that begs the question: is the state of the Kukkiwon the same thing as the state of taekwondo?

Daniel

I'd say "no" because in my view, the state of Taekwondo is up to each and every one of us. I view KKW as a mechanism which can enhance TKD but the ultimate responsibility for TKD lies in the instructor.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd say "no" because in my view, the state of Taekwondo is up to each and every one of us. I view KKW as a mechanism which can enhance TKD but the ultimate responsibility for TKD lies in the instructor.
QFT.

I will go a step further and extend what you said to pretty much every MA.

Daniel

Kyosanim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was just talking on the phone this morning about the state of TKD in general here in the U.S.? One of the people was saying we have too many organization trying to get majority control of the KKW status here in the states, what is your take on this? Why can't we just find a common ground for the betterment of U.S. TKD? What can be some of the steps we need to make sure the TKD will continue to grow here in the US? Are we really that far behind in the sport aspect that we will not even be sending what is consider the Nation best to fight in Germany and some other venues? What is going to happen if we continue down this path of self destruction?

I know alot of whay ifs but I have been hearing more and more ove rthe last couple of weeks about the power struggle that is going on between high people with different orgs withen the U.S..

Above everything else thats wrong with our art. The politics. We have to get rid of the politics its taking all the fun out of doing it.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Above everything else thats wrong with our art. The politics. We have to get rid of the politics its taking all the fun out of doing it.

Getting rid of politics in ANY organization means one thing.....remove humans.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was just talking on the phone this morning about the state of TKD in general here in the U.S.? One of the people was saying we have too many organization trying to get majority control of the KKW status here in the states, what is your take on this?

I'm not a Kukkiwon TKDer so forgive my question as it comes form ignorance more than anything else. If any Kukkiwon dan holder above 4th dan can issue Kukkiwon certificates themselves why is it even a question about "trying to get majority control of the KKW status here in the states"? Even if some organization became KKW America (or whatever) wouldn't this have no effect on issuing KKW recognized dan ranks?

Or is it more an issue of who gets to host and/or attend those KKW instructors courses?

The whole sporting aspect of WTF sponsored events is really a different issue (or should be if my understanding of things is correct, which it might not be!).

Pax,

Chris

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If only it were that easy. I've seen dirty politics in all volunteer activities. There are things aside from money that people regularly politic about.

Daniel

yup.

regardless of what the org is for, there are always going to be people who are seeking a personal gain through their position within the org. Even if the gain is to wear a suit and tie and "feel" important... they cant always abuse whatever little amount of power they have or appear to have.

As long as people will disagree, there will be problems. There are as many ideas as there are directions on a compass... and everyone will want to go thier own way and say the other is wrong.