Preferred weapon choice

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
A fighting knife, a dagger or a bowie. For innocent look self defence weapon, a big metal- cased box cutter and large screw driver.

If legal to carry around a katana and a .45 caliber pistol with hollow point bullets.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about this, if you have restrictions like we do in the UK, you have to be a bit inventive, hence the nasty improvised weapons seen on the door! The credit card blade for one.

However, if under law as senior security officer, I would have a Minbari fighting stick. But seriously a Police baton. I am assuming the Brit version is extended able?

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My own two hands, registered lethal weapons :)
Seriously though, I regularly carry a stubby little kubaton, which once proved very useful to me.
I also, unknowingly, carried a Swiss SIG bayonet in my rucksack for about two weeks (forgot it was in there)
With the way things are with legality in most places it would be difficult to convince a court you are a victim if your carrying something lethal. But then unless you get yourself well and truly mauled it seems difficult convincing anyone you are a victim anyway.
Go figure.
L

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have a weapon of choice per se, as we don't walk around armed where I am from.

But I've always liked a kukri knife, I don't know how practical they are in combat, or in general for that matter, but I like the look of them.

Otherwise, I'm a fan of the bokken.

kukuri is excellent in combat!!! just ask how well they work for the Gurkha troops!

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Flanged Mace...

lol. Can you imagine if the US police and militarymen were issued a warhammer or a flanged mace?

Oh my LoL.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kukuri is excellent in combat!!! just ask how well they work for the Gurkha troops!

True but they are also very fond of their guns, the bigger the better.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer a good sturdy knife. It can be used for fighting but also for a myriad of daily tasks. A knife is a good multipurpose instrument, like duck tape. I've owned firearms but I rarely have need of them. My other favorite weapon is my walking stick..

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally i like the bo staff, in the goju ryu class i go to its one of the weapons that is practiced, but I prefer that one because it gives reach and I've practiced with it enough to get an idea of what I'm doing or what I could do.

But I think my favorite weapons is the Liuyedao, I only practice one form for it(xing yi forn). I don't know which weapon i do better, I could imagine the bo staff because I practice several 1 person forms and 2 people sets.
So I'd guess my preferred weapon is the bo staff.

The reason for this thread is I'd like to hear other peoples preferred weapon choices
My winning smile. :)

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
can help cook food and keep trespassers out of your home!

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Favorite weapon for me depends ofcourse on wether we are talking "feelgood" or practical use. If a single person broke into my house, I would preferably try to find something nearby that I could use as some kind of crude club, as I think I would have an easier time defending the use of that should the police get involved, than any of my big knives, martial arts weapons or firearms (which are locked away in a gunsafe anyway, as is legally required here, and therefore not very easily accesible in any kind of acute situation).

However, if I were to fight for my life in any kind of close quarter combat, I would probably like to have my Condor Kukri machete in hand, as it has good reach, good balance, and if performance on wood is any indication, could deal massive damage. It has a significantly ticker blade than my other machetes, but somewhat thinner than true Gurkha Kukris, so it's quite fast in the hand, while still having some heft. It also looks beautifull, and it makes me feel a bit like Conan the barbarian when holding it.
:D

Okay, being a bit geeky here. Has anyone around here handled a prop replica Bat'leth?

Not really, but I have one of these stored away in the attic. It's not a true Bat'leth ofcourse as it curves the wrong way, but it is metal, and the pointy parts are wicked. Actually, I would considered this equally dangerous to anyone standing beside me or behind me, as to anyone standing in front of me, because of the pointy ends and weird shape. Got it stuck in a wall in the cellar by accident just after I got it, just by taking a practice swing.
:jimlad:

Last edited:

mwebb

White Belt
Reaction score
If you need a weapon to defend yourself against an unarmed assailant, then you probably need to spend more time in the dojo.
For defense against a weapon other than a gun, I prefer a staff (any size will do). It has the advantages of range, multi-directional attack, and defense.
As "The Preacher" said, "Nothing like a good piece of hickory."

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really, but I have one of these stored away in the attic. It's not a true Bat'leth ofcourse as it curves the wrong way, but it is metal, and the pointy parts are wicked. Actually, I would considered this equally dangerous to anyone standing beside me or behind me, as to anyone standing in front of me, because of the pointy ends and weird shape. Got it stuck in a wall in the cellar by accident just after I got it, just by taking a practice swing.

Wow. Looks quite menacing just propped up looking at the picture. That would go some way to cure the Seagull problem where I am lol. Only kidding nature lovers.

BrothersMA

White Belt
Reaction score
Staff. I love the balance.
The straight line that uses circular movements to do amazing damage.
For me the staff is the easiest weapon to express myself through.

Latest Discussions