Weapon Of Choice

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There is a reason why the katana was the tertiary weapon of the Samurai on the battlefield behind the bow and yari, it is a sidearm, useful when you don't have something better.

On the battlefield, there was no one on one sword work. It was a mass battle of "lines" mostly with yari. Archers in the rear and mounted archers on the flanks. Any sword work was pretty much chopping and hacking by warriors in the ranks. Polished and skilled sword work was a product of the upper class samurai and was comparatively rare. Swords would not have been carried in saya at the hip like in the court or in town. They would have been held in the hands and used as a primary weapon by those who carried them.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's the "sword and target"?
a target is the small usually strap round shield, as opposed to a buckler that was usually slightly smaller and center held. the Target usualy has a spike on its boss that can be used as a weapon as well.. go look for any picture about the battle of banicburn or the highland scotts of say 1740 under "bonnie prince Charlie" and you will see a picture of a man in a kilt with a basket hilted highland sword ( British regs called a 'claymore') and a dirk and target on his left arm/hand.

but yes George Silver was a nationalist when they were rare actually. the Halberd and the forest bill are the same length. their use is very similar, but the forest bill and black bill were mainly a British/English weapon of choice for a pole arm. like the halberd it is hideously efficient and effective against an armored man or unarmed. and yes they both take a rapier armed man fast.. that is why city guards and watches in Europe and the British isles carried either a halberd or a bill or in Scotland usually a lockabar axe that is very similar to a bill. look up "George silvers paradoxes of defense" for his take on many weapons of the 16th century or so... also Ewen Oakshott is a very very good sorce for books on weapons from the dark ages to the 19th century.

Zeal

White Belt
Reaction score
As my experience has taught me, it is not so much as to having a weapon of choice. If you find a weapon that you love, then great! But the practical side is that you will most likely have access to that weapon when you actually need to use it. For me, one of the key ideas I like to keep in mind is the weapons shape. If you need to defend yourself, you need to be able to recognize your surroundings and use that to your advantage. This, in a sense, opens anything and everything to the potential of being a "weapon".

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a brief elaboration to the comment of the departed Mr Stanley.

The katana was never a primary weapon of the footsoldier. It was carried in the field in a manner analagous to the Officers pistol of later periods. Skill in it's use was admired (because it is hard to use a sword well) but it was fairly low down on the hierarchy of preferred battlefield weapons. That is by numbers in use at least - you had to have wealth to afford a decent katana after all.

wrc619

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The biggest or sharpest thing I can get into my hand. For MA weapons, I am enamored with short sticks.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Glock. Hands down.

But if it HAS to be a traditonal martial arts weapon, a good light weight damascus steel sword.

Deaf

hogstooth

Green Belt
Reaction score
It would help to know what you are studying. JMA, CMA, OMA, FMA.
Honestly I like leaning and using them all but if I have to chose one from Kobudo it would be a toss up between Kama and Timbei/ Rochin. I like weapons that you can use for defense and offense, and if necessary have the ability for a finishing blow.
I also like Katana but really who doesn't. Make sure you have a qualified instructor before using any bladed weapon. You can actually do sever damage to your self if not trained properly.

Dinkus Mayhem

White Belt
Reaction score
What does everyone think about the chain whip? I would be interested in hearing some opinions on the weapon if anyone is familiar in it's use.

To me it seems like a beautiful weapon, and to watch someone use it is almost hypnotic. I could honestly sit for hours watching different techniques and styles, I probably already have logged in a few hours on youtube watching various clips.

I also find the meteor hammer to be extremely interesting. While in movement it is beautiful to watch, and seems to be very explosive in regards to how fast an attack can be made.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
Weapon of choice is my mind.... then my body...

everything else an extension of that

Taiji_Mantis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am inclined to agree with the Glock comment. My G22 is a constant companion of mine.

Thoughts on the Chain whip? It is a difficult weapon to wield, requiring much practice to become proficient in moving both the weapon and the body in harmony. I have had many welts, bumps, contusions, abrasions, and lacerations in the head, neck and legs from playing with mine. There are different weights and different lengths all for different means. That being said, a chunk of steel traveling at 200+ MPH is a formidable thought isnt it? :)

Personally, my favorite would have to be the chinese spear. I am surprised no one mentioned this previously (or that I missed such mention). The spear was traditionally made from waxwood or rosewood, which when oiled with use tended to resist the cutting edges of swords. Thus it withstood bladed attacks, while at the same time gave the user the ability to stab from great distance, as well as cut. The spear was used (in the north) as a dagger or knife with a reeeeeeeallly long handle. Additionally, both ends could be used--one as a bludgeoning weapon and one as a thrusting weapon. Some spears had two points.

The spear or qiang did have its limitations in close quarters, but so would the chain whip, meteor hammer, and even the nunchaku to a degree. In close quarters I would prefer my lil' tactical folder (or traditionally speaking the double daggers) or my Butterfly swords. Butterfly swords were extremely versatile--cutting edge, stabbing point, hooking guards, and the "brass knuckle" application. Some variants on form with these weapons are large and flowing like Fojia Quan, while others are direct and ugly like Yong Chun. Easily hidden until needed, the Short swords are my second favorite.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Weapon of choice:

Katana

Second choice, because I can legally carry one, any single edged knife.

For Martial Arts training, I go back to the sword or Sai.

zeeberex

Green Belt
Reaction score
There will be one among the several you experiment with that will feel the best in your hand, that WILL become your weapon of choice..

I learned the basics of the "chucks" because it looked so cool..I teach the PR-24 which is the great Grandson of the Tonfa..I perfer that to all straight batons..Also learning the basics of the Cane which I hope to stay with because you can carry the cane almost ANYWHERE...

Chucks are pointless to me, for everyday usage I would say knife or cane, and if things get ugly, then yer talking guns, shotgun closer up, maybe a crossbow or rifle/scope if things really that bad, lets hope not.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
  • Who are you fighting with this weapon?
  • What are they armed with?
  • What are the terrain, the lighting, obstacles and a bunch of other environmental factors?
  • Are they hunting you?
  • Are you hunting them?
  • How many of them are there?
  • How many of you are there?
  • What are you trying to accomplish?
  • What are they trying to accomplish?

And about a hundred other questions. The best tool for the job depends on the job. The Glock is useless at a quarter mile in the dark. A sock with two bars of soap has the advantage of being available on an airplane. A Kerambit is useless against a guy with a spear. And the spear is useless inside a phone booth.

The smug, self-satisfied answers like "My mind" or "My self control" are just that, smug and self-satisfied. They let the speaker bask in a sense of superiority without actually answering the question. It's asking "What sort of cars do you like?" and being told "I am a superior driver."

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I can carry on my person most often....a pistol and a knife.

BEATLE JUICE

White Belt
Reaction score
Tellner: Im not sure if you are talking to me or to everyone in general. I carry a gun for a living. Im a cop and I always have one with me. Most of my work is up close and personal. I have never had to use a karambit but do feel that I could if I have too. I like it for the way that I can make it move up close. If I can use something else I will. My policy does not allow me to carry a sword or spear. I do not carry weapons, I carry tools. My actual weapon of choice is my brain. With it I can use the tools I need to survive. I hope and pray. I hope I misunderstood you. If I did, I apoligise. It is not my wish to start anything.

Latest Discussions