Weapon Of Choice

runnerninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am only getting into martial arts but already in this time I have been given the opportinity to use several weapons. What is peoples weapon of choice and why? Particularly interested in the point of view of people who have trained using several weapons. Do you have a preference for a particular weapon or does the situation dictate what you would prefer?

Just curious. Im not experienced enough to have a preference yet. Looking forward to continuing my training with several weapons.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just curious. I'm not experienced enough to have a preference yet. Looking forward to continuing my training with several weapons.

There will be one among the several you experiment with that will feel the best in your hand, that WILL become your weapon of choice..

Do you have a preference for a particular weapon or does the situation dictate what you would prefer

I learned the basics of the "chucks" because it looked so cool..I teach the PR-24 which is the great Grandson of the Tonfa..I perfer that to all straight batons..Also learning the basics of the Cane which I hope to stay with because you can carry the cane almost ANYWHERE...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A scoped rifle. This hands on stuff is great, but, I'd rather not have to lay hands on someone to stop them.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like almost all weapons, of course! There's just something magical about having a tool in your hands that becomes an extension of your own body and mind.

As a Yamanni Ryu practitioner, I prefer the bo.

The bo is arguably the most commonly used weapon amongst the martial arts community, is very well studied, and can be used for many purposes.

There are many ways to effectively wield a bo, whether someone uses the shorter, staccato-like strikes of certain systems, or the longer, flowing strikes that the Yamanni Ryu system. Various practitioners can argue all day long about whose system is better, but in the end, they all work just fine, provided that someone has good mechanics.

It can be quite an effective offensive and defensive weapon, and doesn't cost much to get started, since anyone can buy a cheap bo from the various mail order markets for a small sum of money. When the time is right, the practitioner can start shopping around for a bo that is much more custom tailored to his own preferences.

The mechanics of using the bo are also relatively easy to correct, since flaws in the mechanics are easily revealed once you practice with a heavy bo (I have a 1.25" purpleheart bo for this purpose).

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A scoped rifle. This hands on stuff is great, but, I'd rather not have to lay hands on someone to stop them.

Off topic comment:The ultimate act of reaching out and touching someone...End off topic comment...

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am only getting into martial arts but already in this time I have been given the opportinity to use several weapons.

Weapon training is important. You are fortunate to be learning early.

What is peoples weapon of choice and why? Particularly interested in the point of view of people who have trained using several weapons. Do you have a preference for a particular weapon or does the situation dictate what you would prefer?

My weapon of choice is the european longsword. It's arguably the most versatile weapon that can be worn on the hip, and historically, that was its strength. It has excellent reach, such that another swordsman cannot easily reach your legs. At anywhere from 2.5 to 3.5 lbs, it's light enough to be used by nearly anyone. It's nimble in the thrust, truly devastating when it cuts (depending on design), and pretty decent at draw cuts. The cross guard traps opponent's weapons easily, doubles as a warhammer when reversed, or knuckleduster in traditional grip, and the pommel is an decent mace. When used in one hand, the remaining length of the grip is great for assisting armbars and takedowns. When used at the half-sword (with the non-dominant hand gripping the blade), it becomes a vicious little spear. And it's a really fun weapon to use. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I personally study two weapons arts, traditional Okinawan Kobudo and Iaido. My Kobudo training has included, nunchaku, sai, bo, kama, tetchi and tekko.

But of all these weapons I find that the katana is my favourite weapon. I think that my training in Aikido also gave me a love and an appreciation for the sword. It's interesting to see how closely certain sword techniques mirror certain empty hand techniques.

(Though this can be said of quite a few weaons, joint locks out of a nunchaku form...who knew?)

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Particularly interested in the point of view of people who have trained using several weapons. Do you have a preference for a particular weapon or does the situation dictate what you would prefer?

Most of the weapons I have studied are not something you would actually have with you for self-defense reasons, other than a pocketknife, or gun. But it's pretty rare to get into a "duel" with your knife, where both of you have time to draw it and square off.

The gun? Well, that's a whole other subject.

I am only getting into martial arts but already in this time I have been given the opportinity to use several weapons. What is peoples weapon of choice and why?
I personally like the weapons that teach me principles about fighting in general. My first "karate" weapon was the nunchacku. It taught me a lot about speed, snap, and control. Being primarily a circular weapon, I found a lot of principles between a good, snapping nunchaku strike, and my round kicks, hooking palms, chops, and other circular techniques. Eventually I applied the same principles to European longsword for the cuts, with powerful results.

The nunchacku helped to teach me about using efficiency of motion to create astounding amounts of speed. I learned to "snap" strikes out rather than "push" them, which saves me a lot of energy.

The Bo is good, since it is a weapon that exaggerates your basic techniques, and brings problems to light. For instance, a basic downward strike actually is thrown with the same body mechanics of a punch. With a longer staff, and the extra weight, any "cheating" you do with a punch will become obvious. Plus, it's relatively easy to get a hold of a broomstick, or something similar that you could use as a staff.

Knife dueling is good practice - it teaches you fast footwork, stepping off-line, and it reminds you that the whole body can be a target, including arms and hands -- something that is hard to safely duplicate in sparring. (elbows have this annoying tendency to bend the wrong way when you hit them.)

I've only studied European swords, but I find them very useful for learning to set up strategies, and create "attack patterns", or to draw my opponent in with a set-up.

Like Kennedy said, all of this stuff can enhance your empty-hand training, you just have to see what you're most interested in improving. Start with what you like, if you like it, you're more likely to spend time working on it . . .

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Obviously I'm very biased when I say that my favourite weapon is the katana :lol:.

However, I can concur with what others have said above with regard to the bo and the longsword. Both of those are weapons I would love to learn and I count it a great misfortune that langschwert is in Calgary so that I can't meet up with him and share our knowledge in first-person, so to speak.

The nunchaku I do not favour; which is not to say that I think training with them is a waste of time but rather that I am completely unsuited to them.

The only slightly controversial thing I have on this topic is to mirror what Kennedy said above in that it is amazing how empty hand techniques in the Japanese arts are so similar to the movements involved with use of the sword, yari and naginata :lol:.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Coming from a Chinese MA background the weapons I have studied are a bit different to those of the other posters.

I have a great fondness for the jien, the Chinese straight sword, but need to do a lot more training to really feel comfortable with it.

The weapon I feel most comfortable with is called a Dragon Staff. It is about a metre long (around 40"), and, like Langenschwert's favoured longsword, is very versatile. It can be used to strike, takedown, entangle, or throw, and it is a very effective defensive weapon.

Its not that surprising that many Japanese empty hand arts are similar to their associated weapon arts. They were developed in concert with each other and a lot of techniques translate easily between armed and unarmed.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
However, I can concur with what others have said above with regard to the bo and the longsword. Both of those are weapons I would love to learn and I count it a great misfortune that langschwert is in Calgary so that I can't meet up with him and share our knowledge in first-person, so to speak.

Well, I do plan on getting to the UK in the next year or so. I'll let y'all know when I'm going. :) Too bad I can't bring my sharps, but I'll bring a nice stout waster and my fencing mask. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The weapon I feel most comfortable with is called a Dragon Staff. It is about a metre long (around 40"), and, like Langenschwert's favoured longsword, is very versatile. It can be used to strike, takedown, entangle, or throw, and it is a very effective defensive weapon.

Apparently the French art of Grande Baston (Big Stick ;)) has some of its roots in longsword. It's not surprising that the uses would be similar given the length. IIRC it was the great George Silver who said that the staff was the best weapon overall. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apparently the French art of Grande Baston (Big Stick ;)) has some of its roots in longsword. It's not surprising that the uses would be similar given the length. IIRC it was the great George Silver who said that the staff was the best weapon overall. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

The Grande Baton is probably the closest thing to the Dragon Staff.

Interesting you mention George Silver. He is a favourite of my teacher and some of his ideas were incorporated into our training as a result.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting you mention George Silver. He is a favourite of my teacher and some of his ideas were incorporated into our training as a result.

Mine as well. George Silver is simply required reading for any martial artist. His explanation of True and False times quickly lets you know if you're doing something wrong when you attack. It all comes down to "move your weapon before your body", but you'd be surprised how many people step into range before beginning their strike, thereby presenting a target before presenting a threat to cover it.

Best regards,

-Mark

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think if you ask what someone would use if possible and what they carry on a day to day basis is two totally different questions.

My first choice for a weapon system would be to be a few kilometers away and to locate my target using a map and compass (old school) or using a GPS system (new school) with a radio open to DIVARTY (division level artilery.)

Boom, end of problem.

Since that is not what I can do in a typical mugging situation, I prefer to carry something that won't freak out the local police if they catch me carrying it, but can be used to defend my life.

It might not help as much as the DIVARTY link, but I can get away with carrying it.

So you have to take that into account. I am very, ver good with katana according to my friends, but I can't carry one with me. A nuclear bomb might scare a country, but be useless for preventing a mugging.

There is no best weapon, just the most appropriate for the current situation.

MingTheMerciless

Orange Belt
Reaction score
European Poleaxe is my favourite though . But I found that arm length weapon to be more versatile as they are just a extension of your own arm .

Longsword and Staff is also a very versatile weapon

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've really reached a point where utility is everything to me, so I'd have to say my two favorite weapons (barring my .357 & Mossy 590) are any stick & short blades (machete length on down to knives). Mostly because you will find them in your environment most readily. I love swords & pole arms, but hey, I can't take them with me everywhere, & they aren't laying around everywhere. A short stick can be many things besides a stick: an umbrella, a rolled-up magazine (especially if you have time to throw some quarters in the pages before rolling), anything that resembles or can be made to resemble a relative cylinder of appropriate length & rigidity. Short blades are self-explanatory, of course, both cut & thrust.

MantisStyle21

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have 3 weapons, but my favorite is the Bo, then the Kamas, and Nunchaku. Traditional Okinawan, I've always liked them

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Barring firearms... my favorite is the walking cane (the kind with the hook). It's very versatile and perfectly legal to take anywhere.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

Latest Discussions