practicality

H

hand2handCombat

martial arts will give u some confidence..

but how many of u MAist have tried ur art in a fight??
do u use the moves you leaerned?, because there isnt anytime to try?

my intensions for this thread arent to stir up any anger, just curious

OP
C

chufeng

Martial arts teaches self discipline...
it teaches how NOT to fight.

That's how I use it against one who would fight with me...

If I refuse to engage the supposed attacker, then there is no fight...

And if he hits me...I'll absorb it (Really!) (at this point he has committed an assault and a battery; both are crimes)

Once that happens, the attacker may think twice before throwing the next punch...

OR he may find out what it's like to be on the receiving end of an internal punch (I'll only turn the cheek once)...end of story...

no fancy techniques...no fancy kicks...
just one, well placed sun fist (Really!)

:asian:
chufeng

OP
H

hand2handCombat

i didnt mean going out a starting a fight to try the art. i just meant trying the moves.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by chufeng

Martial arts teaches self discipline...
it teaches how NOT to fight.

I disagree.

The art is just the art..........nothing more or less.
A good teacher will teach his students when to protect themselves by a physical means and when not to.
Sad to say most teachers today don't take this responsibility very seriously.

OP
H

hand2handCombat

"Sad to say most teachers today don't take this responsibility very seriously."

what do mean by this. what responsibilty would this be? can u give and example?

not ticked off, just asking

OP
S

SolidTiger

What I have learned during my years of training is that martial art skills is a lethal weapon. It's like walking around with a gun in your hand, that's why it's not wise to fight out on the streets. You
should leave fighting to a last resort, because you never know what the out come would be.

Thank You

SolidTiger

OP
R

Ravensign

I think what they are asking is --- when you HAVE been in fights, have you used your MA training, or have you just frozen up, or lost it, or just wildly kicked or punched etc.

OP
H

hand2handCombat

i believe in "fighting is the last resort", but that isnt true for everyone. some ppl on the streets are just hungry for a fight.

what is ur art solidTiger??

OP
H

hand2handCombat

ravensign,

you said it better than i could

thanks alot

OP
S

SolidTiger

I never had to use my martial art skill in a fight on the street, because as a martial artist I have learned how to keep cool during
a threating situation. I know I fear no man(Maybe woman) but I'm
not going to fight everyone who wants to fight me or challenge me. But if their was no other options, and I had to defend myself put it like this the bigger the threat the bigger the attack. Thats where you must discipline yourself on selfcontrol.

Thank You

SolidTiger

" Have enough selfcontrol not to jump off the bridge".

OP
C

chufeng

Originally posted by RyuShiKan

I disagree.

The art is just the art..........nothing more or less.
A good teacher will teach his students when to protect themselves by a physical means and when not to.
Sad to say most teachers today don't take this responsibility very seriously.

Thank you for that correction...

Properly taught martial arts teaches self-discipline...

Quite frankly, though, I think if it is incorrectly taught, it ceases to be an art...it is simply pugilism.

and for the guy who started this thread...I've never had to use it in a fight...fighting is the lowest level of understanding in the martial disciplines...the training acts as a physical model for so much more and at so many levels...it teaches how NOT to fight.

:asian:
chufeng

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I got into one fight. Actually I was attacked by a guy. I did use a step sparring technique .... elbow to the ribs, back fist to da face, and one to da balls. He let go of me but tried to follow after I walked away. I side kicked him in the ribs. He didn't get back up :D Just the simple basics worked :)

Latest Discussions