when was the last time u didnt use a glove?

M

muayThaiPerson

today i went over to this dummy we have. its only the upper body and made of rubber. i usually use glove but we used open fist today. wow, i felt as if my hands were as small as nail clippers. i kept on hitting with the last 2 knuckles wich isnt good at all, it could lead to a broken fist. i felt my punches were weak and my gaurd was were down. it occured to me that gloves can hold back the skill of fighting in a way. because here you have big o gloves that can be blocked a mile away and ur not going to have them in real life. i know theyre there fpr safety purposes but.......

when was the last time u guys sparred with thin or no gloves? how did it feel? just out of curiousity

:asian:

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I work the bags with bare knuckles. Only use tape when I have an injury, to avoid tearing the wound wider. I train both the JKD/WingChun fist (3 small knuckles) as well as the TKD fist(2 big knuckles). It is hard at first as it hurts like a mofo, if you use gravel bags. Just like any other conditioning, the pain numbs away and soon you will be going at it with full blast.

If you condition your fists slowly to give them time to strengthen, you can avoid most fist injury. If you rush, you are asking for trouble. The other alternative is to tape your hands. If you train for streetfighting, that may not be a good tarining practice, as you obviously won't be walking the street with taped fists.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

out of fear, i always punch worng. yesterday i twisted my elbow while punching. i find the best punching distance to be whatever the legnth is when its bent at a 45 degreee angle. and i started to use something called a palm stike, which can be used with my arms fully extended. i think ilike the palm strike better

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by muayThaiPerson

out of fear, i always punch worng. yesterday i twisted my elbow while punching. i find the best punching distance to be whatever the legnth is when its bent at a 45 degreee angle. and i started to use something called a palm stike, which can be used with my arms fully extended. i think ilike the palm strike better

Yeah, in a street fight I'd prefer to use anything other than a straight punch. Hammerfists, palms, ridgehands, those sorts of strikes hurt a lot less. But when full contact sparring in my kenpo class we use pretty thin gloves, then I straight punch a lot. Come to think of it sparring like that will probably ruin my plans to not use that in a real confrontation. :eek:

Latest Discussions