Pot withdrawal similar to quitting cigarettes; Study

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a small study done at John Hopkins University School of Medicine.

Vandrey said the findings have important implications because of the lack of data on marijuana withdrawal. Until recently, this has led to these symptoms not being included in medical reference literature.

http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSN2563804920080125?sp=true

Why were marijuana withdrawal symptoms not previously included in medical reference literature? Would this study make a difference to the popular claims in the past by others who say pot is less harmful than cigarettes?

- Ceicei

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

Why were marijuana withdrawal symptoms not previously included in medical reference literature? Would this study make a difference to the popular claims in the past by others who say pot is less harmful than cigarettes?

- Ceicei
Good find, Ceicei, thanks. In the past few years I've gone from gangs being the most formidable problem among my students, to drugs being the biggest problem. This study helps explain why it's so difficult to deal with.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gee, and we are told, ad naseum, that ciggarettes are as addictive as heroin, and that marijuana isn't addictive at all...
Go figure...

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

- Ceicei

Tomorrow another study will "prove" that weed's as addictive as Jello pudding pops. I've never met anyone addicted to marijewana, & considering my friends/fan base, obviously Tom Hopkins didn't get a quantitative sample, or whatevers.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tomorrow another study will "prove" that weed's as addictive as Jello pudding pops. I've never met anyone addicted to marijewana

I have - else, how do you explain someone who is on mandatory UA's, being checked randomly for alcohol and drugs, who has already been caught once by court system for a dirty UA, who continues to use marijuana, including the night before his next scheduled UA - and whose excuse was "But, I was caught for DUI - they shouldn't even be testing for pot, because that's not what I was using when I was caught weaving across the road [under the influence of alcohol]" - who smoked pot the night before UA "to relax", and who smoked pot the night before his court date "to relax", knowing he would be tested at court that day. There are plenty of ways to relax that don't involve drugs or alcohol - why pick one that you know is going to get you in trouble, and rationalize it so strongly, unless you cannot be without it, because you are addicted?

From marijuana-addiction.net

Marijuana addiction has the same characteristics as any other addiction to other drugs including alcohol, tobacco or even caffeine. The frequent obsession with the drug, thinking about it all the time, where to get it, when to get it, is there enough, is it good enough, will I have the money for more are frequently asked questions. Another trait of marijuana addiction is the physical craving that comes when the body adapts to the drug and begins to develop a tolerance to it. Anyone who has been smoking marijuana for awhile can tell that they must smoke more now to feel the same effect that just a few hits used to produce. It's not about the quality of the weed, it's the bodies defense mechanism as it readjusts to keep balance with the frequent supply of new chemicals being delivered by the pot.

There are plenty of people who say marijuana is not addictive - and most of them have reasons to want it legalized. There are legitimate medical reasons to use marijuana - to reduce nausea during chemotherapy, as a pain reliever for certain types of pain (i.e. arthritis), for glaucoma - but there are many medications that have legitimate uses that are controlled because of the risk of misuse. Were marijuana not used as a recreational drug, I think it would be in the same class as many other controlled substances... but then, so would aspirin, were it to be discovered today.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As a recovering addict (with Mary-wanna being my primary drug of choice--of many) I could've told those guys that at John Hopkins that the crap was addicting... sheesh Spent all that money for something I already knew and could've told them for free ? :rolleyes:

It has prolonged effects as well even after 19 years of not touching the stuff I still find myself not minding of having a toke or three... but then remembered all that I've gained since I've quit. It ain't easy.
I've got some long term memory...uhh, what's it called... umm... oh yeah... loss.
But thankfully it's not all fried, baked or whatever you want to call it.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Were marijuana not used as a recreational drug, I think it would be in the same class as many other controlled substances... but then, so would aspirin, were it to be discovered today.

Even cocaine is a schedule 2 drug, which means it can be prescribed by doctors for certain purposes. Marijuana, despite the proven uses you note, is classified as schedule 3, and cannot be legitimately used for any purpose (generally) by federal law.

Why the government is so afraid of marijuana is a question best left to someone smarter than myself.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Even cocaine is a schedule 2 drug, which means it can be prescribed by doctors for certain purposes. Marijuana, despite the proven uses you note, is classified as schedule 3, and cannot be legitimately used for any purpose (generally) by federal law.

Why the government is so afraid of marijuana is a question best left to someone smarter than myself.
When my father fell and broke his back (recently-- he's ok now) the doctors discovered that there wasn't much they could do except prescribe pain killers. First of all they tried codine which is basically Tyenol 3 then progressively bumped him up to stronger and stronger meds, graduating him from codine, to hydrocodone (Loratab), Percocet (Oxycodone is commercially made from thebaine, an opiate alkaloid and minor component of opium.[2] The 14' hydroxy group increases potency by about 50% over hydrocodone. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percocet) then bumping up the ante to Methodone (Methadone is a synthetic opioid, used medically as an analgesic and anti-addictive(????). It was developed in Germany in 1937.
Although chemically unlike morphine or heroin, methadone also acts on the opioid receptors and thus produces many of the same effects. Methadone is also used in managing chronic pain due to its long duration of action and very low cost {bullcrap}. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methodone ) then finally having hit the ceiling they reverted to cortizone injections which finally after a few days got rid of the pain that he was experiencing.
Now I personally have experienced the pain killing qualities of marijuana itself, but came to realize that it wasn't exactly getting rid of the pain as more of covering it up with a psychotropic substance/chemical, or over stimulating the dopamine of the brain. Sorta taking you AWAY from the pain rather eliminating or minimizing it like a good pain killer should.
Had Marijuana been legal then I can presume that the docs at the "pain-management" would've prescribed it to my dad, possibly via pill form rather than having him smoke it (which would be a faster way for the THC to reach his brain and producing the desired effect). But it would have introduced him to an addiction that he didn't need. Now all of these aforementioned drugs (not marijuana) are derivatives of the opium plant or poppy flower. Known to be also the base ingredient of morphine and heroin. It's probably why the so called "drug-war" is such a fricken joke. The hypocracy is so thick you can cut it with a spoon.
It was fortunate that my dad was being very testy and "picky" if you will concerning his pain meds and that he didn't stay on any particular one long enough to become addicted to it, he did however after trying all those flavors preferred the hydrocodone (Loratabs) ironically.
But as you were saying those drugs are strictly controlled by the government.

Now as to why the government is so afraid of marijuana so much that legalization is probably out of the question is indeed a question for smarter brains than yourself and myself included. However I can only hypothesize that the reason lies within the (illicited) drug trade it self. Were Marijuana legalized the effect I'm guessing would be very much the same as it was during prohibition. Drug-lords would be seriously undercut in their beloved profits and they would bring the war on drugs back on the government.
But legalization is NOT the topic here. Topic is the addictive properties of the drug in question.
You'll meet hundreds and thousands of regular marijuana users that will say "they're not addicted" ... ask them to quit, cold turkey (like I did) and see what they say... "Why?" and that is followed by whatever arguments they have against the idea of it being addicting.
They won't do it but they'll cite that they won't because it's not harmful, wherein the real reason lies in the fact that they're addicted to it. It's called denial, minimizing, rationalizing and justifying. And as with any addiction... it boils down to lying to ones self. A lie that is told so often that it becomes the truth.

A drug is a drug is a drug, no matter how you slice it, shoot it, pop it, drink it, or smoke it. It's going to get you in the end.

Attachments

• $stone kitty.jpg
    $stone kitty.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 201

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
When my father fell and broke his back...

I'm glad your Dad is OK now, and didn't pick up any excess addictions on his pharmacological journey.

I also like the cat pic!

As for MJ, I understand the topic is not legalization, and that it probably is addictive. My only point is that probably more so than marijuana, all those drugs your Dad was exposed to were highly addictive as well. However, they can be prescribed by a doctor for their benefits, against which risks must be weighed. For some reason, MJ is exempted from this rational calculus.

Although I should say, in the extremity of the government's drug war paranoia, even legitimate doctors prescribing legitimate pain meds are coming under fire.
http://www.reason.com/news/show/29239.html

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm glad your Dad is OK now, and didn't pick up any excess addictions on his pharmacological journey.

I also like the cat pic!

As for MJ, I understand the topic is not legalization, and that it probably is addictive. My only point is that probably more so than marijuana, all those drugs your Dad was exposed to were highly addictive as well. However, they can be prescribed by a doctor for their benefits, against which risks must be weighed. For some reason, MJ is exempted from this rational calculus.

Although I should say, in the extremity of the government's drug war paranoia, even legitimate doctors prescribing legitimate pain meds are coming under fire.
http://www.reason.com/news/show/29239.html
I'll go along with that... except that it is to say that MJ is equally as addictive as those high end prescriptions. Just that the addiction is much more subtle.

Ya, I like the cat pic too... been there done that a few too many times myself.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
As a recovering addict (with Mary-wanna being my primary drug of choice--of many) I could've told those guys that at John Hopkins that the crap was addicting... It has prolonged effects as well even after 19 years of not touching the stuff I still find myself not minding of having a toke or three... but then remembered all that I've gained since I've quit. It ain't easy.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lfao: :roflmao: :lfao:

Thanks for that! I really needed that.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Marijuana addiction has the same characteristics as any other addiction to other drugs including alcohol, tobacco or even caffeine. The frequent obsession with the drug, thinking about it all the time, where to get it, when to get it, is there enough, is it good enough, will I have the money for more are frequently asked questions. Another trait of marijuana addiction is the physical craving that comes when the body adapts to the drug and begins to develop a tolerance to it. Anyone who has been smoking marijuana for awhile can tell that they must smoke more now to feel the same effect that just a few hits used to produce. It's not about the quality of the weed, it's the bodies defense mechanism as it readjusts to keep balance with the frequent supply of new chemicals being delivered by the pot.

You're describing addictive personality. You know, when something makes you feel better about yourself or your life. Like, distracting yourself with food, or video games, or sex.

I'd love to see the studies of MARIJUANA WITHDRAWALS. Besides, of course,"Awww, man! I really wanted to smoke today. Oh well, whatevers."

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

- Ceicei

Because there have been many studies that say different things ;)

But regardless, a couple things in the article do stand out. It specified that they tested "heavy users". Heavy users of any number of drugs and substances will see effects. Even people that stop drinking coffee who where heavy coffee drinkers go into withdrawal, but no one would argue that coffee is as harmful as cigarettes or Crack.

Also the article says nothing about harmfulness, just that if used heavily quitting will give you withdrawal symptoms. I don't think that is a shock to anyone?

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I don't believe that there are any circumstances in which cocaine can be prescribed by a doctor in the U.S. And in my state, possession of cocaine is punished much more severely, even a trace amount is a felony. Marijuana, which is schedule VI by the way, requires that one have several ounces before simple possession is a felony.

As for its withdrawal, one study does not make it gospel. I am unconvinced that there are significant similarities between withdrawal from pot and nicotine. I agree that folks can become psychologically dependent on pot, but I disagree that for most, pot is anywhere close to being as addictive as nicotine. And most of the research in the last century or so supports that.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Okay, well now I just read the article, originally I was just respondind to posts. The article isn't all that earth shattering and doesn't really say anything we did not already know. Except that I recall seeing symptoms published about withdrawal going back 20 - 25 years (and I'm sure prior to that, I'm only 37 tho.). Maybe the medical journals just hadn't caught on.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're describing addictive personality. You know, when something makes you feel better about yourself or your life. Like, distracting yourself with food, or video games, or sex.

I'd love to see the studies of MARIJUANA WITHDRAWALS. Besides, of course,"Awww, man! I really wanted to smoke today. Oh well, whatevers."

There've been quite a few - a google search reveals many such studies.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i do think that weed is slightly physically addictive. but i find that it far more mentally addictive. just like any ritualized actions involving substances. one gets accustomed to the feel of it. it begins to be torturous not to be able to have a 'morning' cig with coffee or a certain substance in a certain occasion. problem with weed, if one pushes it a bit, it's almost flexible enough to do anywhere anytime. depends on the substance too. because there are thousands of possible chemicals that may be called constituents of marijuana. however, one given plant cannot have more that something like 130+ chemicals.
therefore, it is difficult to a finger on the actual substance due to it's wide spectrum. different strains will have very different effects. where one plant would cause you to be braindead or comatose for at least some hours, another strain may cause you to study all night long.
that's the problem is that often people have no idea what they are smoking. if one were to change the type of weed around drastically, one could avoid physical addiction quite effectively(not that it is as bad as other substances)- but the mental addiction is like any other. being addicted to chocolate- every habit in itself is the start of an addiction. most addiction is a habit that is out of control.

i guess there are good habits too. being addicted to sports would be good i think...and i was sortof addicted to training in the past. maybe it's good to be a bit ambitiously compulsive in order to reach certain goals.

as for the withdrawal symptoms, they are- in order- calm dissociative thought, nervousness and irratability, downright indignance with tantrums and all, feeling of dispair and darkness,insomnia,- euphoria, extreme euphoria, then back to nervousness and intollerance for simple everyday troubles-the ant becomes and elephant, paranoia-people are actually doing you wrong- (this is an illusion because one is not getting the drug one needs/wants!)
after this phase is over, one starts to become normal again. this can be noticed in that one tends to gain a little weight, becomes far more active, extroverted and able to epress oneself directly as well as harshly(i mena in a positive way).

all people however are just as addicted to food, society, tv, etc.

one can also distract oneself very effectively by fasting for 10 days or not having sex for 2 years.

i read on one website where the subjects of suicide and murder were being analyzed to great lengths. there i read that as humans, we eat to live. however, the sick aspect which is very strong in our societies, is that people are not eating to live, but eating as a way of escaping the unbearable pains of not eating. for someone who has been through war or seen really nasty things, it is quite a sad thing to notice. furthermore, if what you experienced is too much for society, then there is virtualy no place for you to express yourself-except at a therapist or something like that. - many of those war scared people put a great deal of trust into family and therapy. however, often, even the family or professionals are incapable of helping because they cannot/do not want to relate.

j

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have - else, how do you explain someone who is on mandatory UA's, being checked randomly for alcohol and drugs, who has already been caught once by court system for a dirty UA, who continues to use marijuana, including the night before his next scheduled UA - and whose excuse was "But, I was caught for DUI - they shouldn't even be testing for pot, because that's not what I was using when I was caught weaving across the road [under the influence of alcohol]" - who smoked pot the night before UA "to relax", and who smoked pot the night before his court date "to relax", knowing he would be tested at court that day. There are plenty of ways to relax that don't involve drugs or alcohol - why pick one that you know is going to get you in trouble, and rationalize it so strongly, unless you cannot be without it, because you are addicted?

From marijuana-addiction.net

There are plenty of people who say marijuana is not addictive - and most of them have reasons to want it legalized. There are legitimate medical reasons to use marijuana - to reduce nausea during chemotherapy, as a pain reliever for certain types of pain (i.e. arthritis), for glaucoma - but there are many medications that have legitimate uses that are controlled because of the risk of misuse. Were marijuana not used as a recreational drug, I think it would be in the same class as many other controlled substances... but then, so would aspirin, were it to be discovered today.

People I have met or known who were addicted to marijuana included those who were lawyers and nurses and teachers and ..., . They all claimed it was no big deal they could all stop next week if they WANTED TOO. But it seemed that no matter what they did they never truly wanted to stop.

Most of those who were into Marijuana also had tried some other form of drug such as Cocaine of Heroin or crack or what have you. All because they associated with people who did this first drug who also sold or did other drugs as well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lfao: :roflmao: :lfao:

Thanks for that! I really needed that.

Mmm and I'm sure we are pleased you shared that with us, a bit insensitive don't you think? Addictions of any type even being addicted to saying stupid things can be very painful for both the sufferer and those around them.

Latest Discussions