The "wrong" Opinion could get you Committed

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
imagine prescribing marijuana, alchohol and nicotine...etc. and then when people notice the negative effects, get angry and shrug it off. continuing to reap the profits of the lucrative drug operation.
crazy. but in my opinion, i think many of the phychodrugs are much more powerful than alchohol -or pot could ever be. with deepreaching effects
also, im not saying that alchohol or tobacco or whatever are completely evil and wrong, but without any instilled guilt, i don't know if i feel up to telling someone else what sort of chemical alterations they need to make in their brains.-
hardly any natural substance has the capability to alter the brains chemistry in such ways as the drugs in question. i definately think that such substances must be very controlled and used sparingly in only the most extreme cases.
back in the day, they would have herbs and tonics to 'cheer one up'. and nowadays, many people can be seen taking modern psychodrugs with the same carefree spirit. but i think that can be dangerous and i don't see how it's helpful in the longrun.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
She wasn't committed. She was ordered to consult with a senior psychiatrist in order to improve her professional standards.

Right or wrong, there is a universe of difference between the two.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
She wasn't committed. She was ordered to consult with a senior psychiatrist in order to improve her professional standards.

Right or wrong, there is a universe of difference between the two.
Ordered to seek psychiatric help BECAUSE of her professional opinions. Senior to her thirty years experience...

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ordered to seek psychiatric help BECAUSE of her professional opinions. Senior to her thirty years experience...

Psychiatric "help" is a misnomer, because it implies therapy. From the article: "she was ordered to see a board-approved senior psychiatrist "for the purpose of seeking and taking advice with a view to improving some aspects of her practice of medicine"."

That is not therapy, and it certainly is not committal. Claiming that it is so is misleading.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
changing something from the outside, is next to impossible. if there is no possibility for change to take place from within, then it is a sign of an unhealthy enterprise and warped views. just like any tyranical entity such as dictatorships, spiritual institutions. when the system desperately struggles to maintain its infallibility at even great costs, it's usually a sign that there is something else wrong.
in the case of such tyrany, the effective force is very subtle. just as invisibly as the drugs alter the 'normal' balance of the brain, tyranical systems and those that support them, are often not even themselves aware of the scope of their actions. often, it's much more confortable to ignore the truth, however, that can't go on forever.

ok, it's good to stay objective and not get too emotional. however, the world of experts seems to me to utterly dread the possibilty that the actions of mankind have reasons other than 'mental illness'. it's so comfortable. it feels almost good(in a nasty way) to say it.
'you have problems. you need help. you are not normal. you are nothing but normal. you are mentally ill. you are disturbed. you are socially incapaple.' you are simply negative as well as spiritually ****ing incompetant! i say to those types. in order to listen it helps greatly to have a brain and a heart

no point in lying to oneself.

i will make it a point to remember the name of the therapist in question and take refuge in her expertise.

j

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The ideas behind this are nothing new... going back to ancient times thinkers, scientists, philosphers, religious leaders, and even doctors have been shunned and persecuted for their beliefs if they were out of line with the majority... and then in many cases they were later proven correct, or even on the correct path.

Ego interferes with mankind's growth and development.

Hell, look at Dr Rous who was almost laughed out of the field of medicine in the early 1900's for claiming the Cancer was caused by Viral infections... EVERYONE KNEW THAT WASNT POSSIBLE... yet he was given a Nobel Prize for his work in the 60's just before his death... and we now know that HPV causes cervical cancer and may be the cause of prostate cancer as well. But no one took him seriously...

Coperinicus was persecuted for his Heliocentric beliefs, as was Galleleo for supporting the same beliefs they Copernicus laid out...

You see it all the time (especially on College campuses) "I'm very Educated, therfore, you are beneath me, I am absolutley correct and you, wrong."

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You see it all the time (especially on College campuses) "I'm very Educated, therfore, you are beneath me, I am absolutley correct and you, wrong."
My little sister has a master's, so, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I have been talked by a few PhD's at work who think their degree and no experience in application give them the right to yell or make statements that are just not feasible. I have had to go real slow and go at them with small questions. Like asking them about the cost of the sensors involved. It is not a good idea to build a plan on using a $1,000 sensor in a car when there is mark up for the customer on top of that. Many times they look at infinite resources in a perfect world with perfect conditions. It takes time but you can bring them around in the business world. In academia you can do what I did. I would prove them wrong at every turn. But this is negative for your grading so be willing to take the hit or willing to know the system and how to appeal to get it reviewed. After a while the instructor realizes it is not good to challenge you or insult you as you will take it back to them as an equal. I always give them the utmost credit and respect with the proper words but get your point across.

As to the article, it is one thing to get reprimanded and to get better at talking or making a statement but to be put under lock and key or forced to get corrective treatment (* Not from the linked article just for reference points *) then this is wrong in my opinion.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hiedi Cullen of the Weather Channel said, last year, that weather forecasters who do not belive in human caused global warming should be stripped of their credentials and (preferably) their jobs.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like they are suggesting she get some conformity training to me... ;)

I have to say that this is exactly what it sounded like to me. Her psyche was not being called into question, but her professionalism as an expert witness in forensic psychiatry. Maybe the board thought she was not properly toeing-the-line and have made her have a sit down with an elder to set her straight, that is conform to their way of doing things..

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like they are suggesting she get some conformity training to me... ;)
The term I believe you are looking for is Reeducation, the Vietnamese (Communist) government ran delightful little camps for it...
Yeah, this smacks of reeducation and New Speak.
Newspeak is closely based on English but has a greatly reduced and simplified vocabulary and grammar. This suits the totalitarian regime of the Party, whose aim is to make any alternative thinking ("thoughtcrime") or speech impossible by removing any words or possible constructs which describe the ideas of freedom, rebellion and so on.
Thoughtcrime? Describing freedom being wrong? Is it just me, or is this MORE like the DNC than the RNC?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The term I believe you are looking for is Reeducation, the Vietnamese (Communist) government ran delightful little camps for it...
Yeah, this smacks of reeducation and New Speak.
Newspeak is closely based on English but has a greatly reduced and simplified vocabulary and grammar. This suits the totalitarian regime of the Party, whose aim is to make any alternative thinking ("thoughtcrime") or speech impossible by removing any words or possible constructs which describe the ideas of freedom, rebellion and so on.
Thoughtcrime? Describing freedom being wrong? Is it just me, or is this MORE like the DNC than the RNC?

That will work!
icon14.gif
And in the end, she will profess her love for big brother! ;)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is it just me, or is this MORE like the DNC than the RNC?

How about both? When political discourse is reduced to soundbytes and slogans, what use is democracy? Our whole political system is just like point sparring. The real fights take places in places the general public has not stomach to see.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How about both? When political discourse is reduced to soundbytes and slogans, what use is democracy? Our whole political system is just like point sparring. The real fights take places in places the general public has not stomach to see.
Ah, but, it is the Democratic party who champions hate crime legislation (basing punishment not on what physical crime was committed but, rather on what the offender thought of the victim) that is clearly inline with Orwellian thoughtcrimes...
The movement of political correctness, saying one thing to hide another, has always been the child of the Left.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The left/right paradigm is just another method of control. The more you buy into it, the more you give up your freedom.