Pot withdrawal similar to quitting cigarettes; Study

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
but i find that it far more mentally addictive. just like any ritualized actions involving substances. one gets accustomed to the feel of it.

I knew an old guy who smoked half the year. Same time every year he would take up smoking... same time every year he would quit. He believed that smoking was not physically addictive, just habit forming in the sense that you became mentally addicted to the activity itself, the process of smoking

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mmm and I'm sure we are pleased you shared that with us, a bit insensitive don't you think? Addictions of any type even being addicted to saying stupid things can be very painful for both the sufferer and those around them.
Well I for one am surprised that he's laughing at a typo, which I've been having quite a few lately on this board. But s'ok...

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Most notably, it can be used as a nasal anesthetic. Such as when you might need your broken nose set.

That's when I was first exposed to cocaine, the packing in my sinuses was soaked in a cocaine solution, basically pharm cocaine and sterile water.

I couldn't feel a thing, so I suppose it worked.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Mmm and I'm sure we are pleased you shared that with us, a bit insensitive don't you think? Addictions of any type even being addicted to saying stupid things can be very painful for both the sufferer and those around them.

Thank you.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Most of those who were into Marijuana also had tried some other form of drug such as Cocaine of Heroin or crack or what have you. All because they associated with people who did this first drug who also sold or did other drugs as well.

Oh, don't start with the whole "gateway drug" thing. Please. Legalize everything, I say, & let the weak cull themselves out of the gene pool.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh, don't start with the whole "gateway drug" thing. Please. Legalize everything, I say, & let the weak cull themselves out of the gene pool.

Gee Doc, that makes me feel so much better. Knowing that if I continued the path that I was on (using/selling drugs) ... I'd be out of your precious gene pool.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Gee Doc, that makes me feel so much better. Knowing that if I continued the path that I was on (using/selling drugs) ... I'd be out of your precious gene pool.

No, you pulled yourself out of what was, in your opinion, a self-destructive behavior. If you truly feel better about yourself & your choices, then good.

& the human gene pool is very precious. In this synthetic environment we've created, we have nothing to fear but ourselves and illness, & we do our damnedest to eliminate those threats. Nature tries hard to clean our gene pool, and we fight it. Nature will only get worse...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, you pulled yourself out of what was, in your opinion, a self-destructive behavior. If you truly feel better about yourself & your choices, then good.

& the human gene pool is very precious. In this synthetic environment we've created, we have nothing to fear but ourselves and illness, & we do our damnedest to eliminate those threats. Nature tries hard to clean our gene pool, and we fight it. Nature will only get worse...

Yeah I did... but how many of my friends are still out there? How many have died thus far? A lot of them I knew were pretty decent people. Just had that stinking addiction, like I still do. I'm always going to be addicted but make the choice daily not to use/drink.
I do feel better about myself? Of course I do, and I didn't mean to come off as harshly as that may have sounded, but had to pause to wonder if I didn't make that choice 19 years ago would I still be such a flawed person that it'd be better that I wouldn't breed to contaminate the so called gene pool?
Some of the brightest, most innovative, intelligent and talented people have come out of dysfunctional homes and had dysfunctional (addicted/alcoholic) parents breeding/raising them.
So perhaps weeding out addicts and alcoholics might not be too bright an idea, eh?
But as you said... Nature knows best and nature... can be a *****.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

So... one of my very good friends, a Ph.D. in Physics, who was killed by a driver high on meth (he lived; seems he was so limp at the time of impact that he avoided life-threatening injuries) - by your statement, she was "culled" from the gene pool because she was "weak"; after all, her death was directly due to drugs... just not drugs she was using. Too bad the meth-head who hit her had already reproduced - she hadn't, because she wanted to finish graduate school first, something she had done the previous year.

The problem with your argument is that drug users don't just kill themselves; they kill others as well - and many of those others are not the ones that need to culled from the gene pool.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So... one of my very good friends, a Ph.D. in Physics, who was killed by a driver high on meth (he lived; seems he was so limp at the time of impact that he avoided life-threatening injuries) - by your statement, she was "culled" from the gene pool because she was "weak"; after all, her death was directly due to drugs... just not drugs she was using. Too bad the meth-head who hit her had already reproduced - she hadn't, because she wanted to finish graduate school first, something she had done the previous year.

The problem with your argument is that drug users don't just kill themselves; they kill others as well - and many of those others are not the ones that need to culled from the gene pool.

I agree with that. However, the other driver could have just as easily been under the influence of alcohol, pharmaceutical meds, glue, whippits, or whatever. The addictive personality will take whatever they can. Driving "under the influence" is the crime, it doesn't matter what the substance is as long as it is intoxicating enough.

Sorry about your friend, though. I've lost friends to drunk driving and drunk drivers, but I still think that there are too many restrictive laws. Drugs aren't going anywhere. Prohibition in the 1920's didn't work, they tried to enforce it for 13 years. It will never work. It's better to make everything legal, let those that are going to OD take as much as they want & hopefully they'll take themselves out before they're a threat to anyone else.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry about your friend, though. I've lost friends to drunk driving and drunk drivers, but I still think that there are too many restrictive laws. Drugs aren't going anywhere. Prohibition in the 1920's didn't work, they tried to enforce it for 13 years. It will never work. It's better to make everything legal, let those that are going to OD take as much as they want & hopefully they'll take themselves out before they're a threat to anyone else.
Ok, gonna try to put this as gently as possible as a means of giving you something to quietly think about... Apply that philosophy/viewpoint to a family member you care about who isn't doing drugs just because they're illegal.
Again... legalization is NOT the topic here. Addiction is... now if drugs (all of them) were legal then we'd have a higher addiction rate, thus a higher death toll of those who use and those who do not.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Statements that make one think, Hmmmm.

I like this statement.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Would you like to explain to me from your sources those who started with something besides Alcohol or Marijuana first?

Those I know who were into drugs, all started first with Marijuana and then went on to others. All of those I know form HS and College who were involved in this "scene" started here.

As to cull the weak.

In many times in the past those who disagreed with those in charge were culled.

Those who were stupid and insulted those more skilled or larger than them or had more friends were culled.

Should we legalize fighting as well. I personally think we should. If I could hit people who make comments I disagree with, and explain to them how wrong they are, by using brute force. You know the old proven by skill on the field so therefore it must be true. I mean no one would be insulting or flipping fingers if they were called out on the floor for their actions.

But in our more civilized society these things are not legal as people think it is not acceptable. So, I support it just as I support other actions of the law. But when people speak of culling I always wonder if they truly understand the door they are opening.

I really wonder.

**** Note this is not a challenge towards you. This is not meant as insult to you. This is not meant as a threat to you. As not only is that against the rules here it is against the law in many places. I just ask the questions to you and this thread to truly understand why people think like this.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i know many people who used weed and drinking and never went on to anything harder (myself being one of them and no i don't anymore just an occasional drink ) I also know just as many who have. Perosnally i think everything should be useable but you have to be put on a list to get them. So you will know if the lawyer your paying an obscene amount of money is gonna blow it on drugs and you know that your babysitter isnt a stoner (or maybe is and your ok with that)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've kept silent on this thread for a number of reasons. Suffice to say that I'm not at all surprised that there's withdrawal effects from marijuana, and that I'm definitely against legalization of any drug.

But I do want to address the gateway drug issue. It's metaphor; it's not perfect. I've come across a very small set of people who started with a so-called hard drug like cocaine, and never used marijuana. I can't recall any who didn't drink. We are seeing more whose first drug is either MDMA (ecstasy) or LSD; lots of these folks are, worryingly enough, bright high school and college kids - but lots of them also don't see a problem with "a little weed". (Prescription drug abusers are another category, as well, that often didn't start with marijuana.) And there are plenty of people who never move beyond a gateway drug like alcohol or marijuana. Using a gateway drug doesn't guarantee you'll move onto harder drugs anymore than entering the gateway of an exclusive college means you got a degree there. However, with all of that said - we tend to find that most people using the "hard drugs" like cocaine, heroin, and LSD started with marijuana and alcohol, and moved on seeking a "better high."

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, gonna try to put this as gently as possible as a means of giving you something to quietly think about... Apply that philosophy/viewpoint to a family member you care about who isn't doing drugs just because they're illegal.

I don't know of anyone that decides to not do mind-altering drugs simply because they're illegal. I have a hard time contemplating such "imaginary" scenarios when we have reality to consider.

Again... legalization is NOT the topic here. Addiction is... now if drugs (all of them) were legal then we'd have a higher addiction rate, thus a higher death toll of those who use and those who do not.

Sorry. I don't buy that. I hope you have a study to back that claim up. There are studies, however, held in Europe and Canada, that show that "drug addicts" can hold jobs and contribute to society when provided with drugs.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
However, with all of that said - we tend to find that most people using the "hard drugs" like cocaine, heroin, and LSD started with marijuana and alcohol, and moved on seeking a "better high."

I've never experienced heroin, but all of the drugs above give various different "highs". So different, in fact, that I'd say the drug user finds a "high" they prefer, not a "better" one.

Also, the "gateway" effect is by no means etched in stone, it's simply a theory with experts on both sides. In fact, the Institute of Medicine in 1999 found no evidence of a link between cannabis use and the subsequent abuse of other illicit drugs on the basis of its particular physiological effect. In 2006 the Karolinska Institute tested the "gateway" theory by administering marijuana to rats and then heroin to both the first group and a control group that hadn't received any drugs prior. The finding was that the marijuana group consumed more heroin since it was an at-will lever administration. However, the marijuana-exposed rats, despite being desensitized to heroin, were no more likely to get addicted than the controls. Addiction was subjective & not a result of prior drug use.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
As to cull the weak.

In many times in the past those who disagreed with those in charge were culled.

Those who were stupid and insulted those more skilled or larger than them or had more friends were culled.

I'm not talking about being "culled". I'm talking about "self-culling".

Should we legalize fighting as well. I personally think we should. If I could hit people who make comments I disagree with, and explain to them how wrong they are, by using brute force. You know the old proven by skill on the field so therefore it must be true. I mean no one would be insulting or flipping fingers if they were called out on the floor for their actions.

Agreed. An armed society is a polite society.

But in our more civilized society these things are not legal as people think it is not acceptable. So, I support it just as I support other actions of the law. But when people speak of culling I always wonder if they truly understand the door they are opening.

I really wonder.

**** Note this is not a challenge towards you. This is not meant as insult to you. This is not meant as a threat to you. As not only is that against the rules here it is against the law in many places. I just ask the questions to you and this thread to truly understand why people think like this.

Please, I hope that you're not trying to put words in my mouth. Letting those that will overdose overdose is not the same as one individual or group "culling" another.

buddah_belly

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
All I know is when I quit smoking the weed, no problems at all. When I quit smoking the ciggys...holy cow...pure torture. I still dream of ciggys sometimes. But I'm glad I quit.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
im thinking, it has to do with how much you smoke...i don't smoke that many cigs, maybe more in public or going out. i smoke on average about 1- 3 cigarettes a day. when i am talking with smokers or in a smokers room, i can easily end up chainsmoking. although i try to inhale only half the smoke and not that deeply. once i smoked 3 packs in one night- but that was like 12 years ago
cheap cigarettes and bad weed are added health problems and make the unhealthy action downright stupid. this is sometimes impossibe to know. same with food i guess. sometimes, you cant know what youll get.

j

Latest Discussions