Poomse

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
BTW, I believe that the ITF uses 24 poomse, but I'm not absolutely certain. If there are any ITF practitioners here on MartialTalk reading this thread please clarify this for us... :asian:

Depends on if you count Juche or not.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hey, i feel pretty dumb asking this here
when i saw the term "poomse" i wondered what it is, and i googled it but did not get a straight clear answer. my impression is poomse are forms or katas or equivalent?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
hey, i feel pretty dumb asking this here
when i saw the term "poomse" i wondered what it is, and i googled it but did not get a straight clear answer. my impression is poomse are forms or katas or equivalent?

Ding Ding give that man a prize!!

yes they are
Terry

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
Speaking from the perspective of a WTF affiliated Taekwondo practitioner, we have 8 Tae Guek, 8 Pal Gwe, and 9 Black belt forms, for a total of 25 forms. Poomse are a very important part of the curriculum at the dojang where I train. One must master, or at least commit to memory, each form before advancing to the next rank.

BTW, I believe that the ITF uses 24 poomse, but I'm not absolutely certain. If there are any ITF practitioners here on MartialTalk reading this thread please clarify this for us... :asian:

Thanx!

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
Forms, poomse, hyungs or kata, anyway you say it, they are one in the same and a great method to practice your MA especially if there aren't any of your training partners around. :asian:
ah
so poomse is what you do when you get to work and no one is there yet... i see....
how long are those sequences (poomse, kata, form...etc) usually?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
ah
so poomse is what you do when you get to work and no one is there yet... i see....
how long are those sequences (poomse, kata, form...etc) usually?

Poomses vary, especially the Palgwes, but generally speaking, they contain roughly 20 movements. The TSD forms that I've seen were considerably longer. I've only watched them and never actually done one, so I could be mistaken.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I will be learning the Pal Gwe's too. I know the TaeGueks through Kumkang and the Chang Hon forms through Po-Eun, but now even though I won't be testing for 3rd, he is beginning to teach me with the now 3rd dan.

Is there a manual for these forms? I would like a reference as I learn these. TW

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can find the Palgwe's and Taebeck (3rd Dan) in the Kukkiwon Taekwondo Text book. ISBN #89-7336-735-8

Edit: Many martial arts stores or conventional bookstores (Amazon, etc) carry it or can order it for you if you provide them with that ISBN#.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
I guess I will be learning the Pal Gwe's too. I know the TaeGueks through Kumkang and the Chang Hon forms through Po-Eun, but now even though I won't be testing for 3rd, he is beginning to teach me with the now 3rd dan.

Is there a manual for these forms? I would like a reference as I learn these. TW

A book which I found very helpful is Modern Taekwondo: The Official Training Manual by Soon Man Lee and Gaetane Ricke. It contains photos, diagrams and instructions on the Pal Gwe poomse movements. In addition, it also contains info on the Tae Guek and WTF Black Belt forms.

For video-DVDs on the Palgwes go to www.turtlepress.com They sell a variety of forms DVD/videos. It was really helpful for me when I was learning a new form to watch it on video, then start, stop and slo-mo the video to break down each movement in the poomse.

:asian:

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know I am glad to hear the fact that my school is not the only one doing the WTF and ITF forms. I have not seen but have heard mention of the other forms. I would like to see what they look like some time. Is there or are there links on the net I can draw upon to view them.

P.M. me the information if you could please.

Thank you,

Matt

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
A book which I found very helpful is Modern Taekwondo: The Official Training Manual by Soon Man Lee and Gaetane Ricke. It contains photos, diagrams and instructions on the Pal Gwe poomse movements. In addition, it also contains info on the Tae Guek and WTF Black Belt forms.

For video-DVDs on the Palgwes go to www.turtlepress.com They sell a variety of forms DVD/videos. It was really helpful for me when I was learning a new form to watch it on video, then start, stop and slo-mo the video to break down each movement in the poomse.

:asian:

I also have the book you mentioned here & the TurtlePress DVD's of the Pal Gwe forms. I highly recommend both options. Although I agree the videos were the most helpful.