Poomse

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What would be the best way for the Art of TKD to deliver a set of new poomse that has more practical techniques in them than the Taegueks od the Chon Ji poomse have?
Terry

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Great question.....I feel you would need to add multiple partners for the practical application, but then you would have one or three-steps.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the first thing that one needs is the knowledge of actually how to use a kata for self defense purposes.

Here is a thread on that...and this is a helpful excerpt in my opinion.

a. The first thing a teacher must teach is a set of basics that corresponds to each kata. One that will allow a student to see and perform certain techniques therein and improve things like physical conditioning, balance, and efficiency of movement. Stances, transitions, punches, kicks, joint locks, throws, etc are all part of certain katas. This would be akin to throwing and catching a ball, swinging a bat, and running and sliding in baseball.

b. One learns the kata, memorizing the moves and details, and is able to perform it.

c. Traditional applications should be used as an example to teach anatomical knowledge and application mechanics...yet this information should be open ended. The student should eventually begin to "play" with the moves under the tutelage of the instructor, who gives insights into their multiple meanings. The teacher does not spoon-feed alternative applications, but rather gives clues and hints so that the student learns how to interpret the movements for themselves. The goal is for the student to learn the possibilities of each technique and understand their situational nature from a multifaceted point of view (this is the beauty of kata IMHO).

d. The true nature of kata is that they are a set of drills strung together by the creator so they can easily remember/transport/transfer practical knowledge regarding self-defense techniques. It is important for a student to eventually learn these because they provide a basis for understanding. Kata are not limited to these though (and I know many people who would disagree with that). Every student is different. They have different bodies and things work differently. The student must develop a set of drills that work with their body types...ones that they can practice repeatedly and relentlessly.

e. The student must learn how to apply in a "live" situation. Drills only take a student so far and eventually the student must transcend them. Application should "flow" from a student without thought and without hesitation and with no regard for "proper" context in the sense that one "waits" for certain things to happen. Drilled techniques need to be modified "on the fly" and altered to fit the situation at hand. This is a process of controlling the rules in sparring/randori/grappling and gradually removing them...but not removing so many that the training becomes overly dangerous.

The next thing one needs to do is reconnect the basics practiced with what is practiced in the kata. The kata should use the basics practiced in class.

Here is a thread on this...a helpful excerpt is here.

The theory behind the Kihon/Kata/Kumite concept is relatively simple. Basics prepare one to do the forms. The forms teach one how to spar. Sparring prepares you for self-defense. This comes directly from the Okinawan Te, but it has been changed as it was passed along. In Japan, for instance, the grappling techniques were taken out of the basics lists because they didn’t want it to compete with Judo. Another change was the mass marketing of Te to many people. Okinawan dojos are small and family orientated like ours. In Japan, however, Karate became big business.

Creating a kata should never be taken likely. They require alot of thought and work. Creating a set of kata is like making a set of crib notes that describe the whole of the martial arts you practice. The principles, the techniques, the theory and application, and sparring should all flow from it. A student, when practicing a set of kata you created for our school, should be practicing a memnotic device that leads to all of your hands-on MA knowledge.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
For new forms: Sport TKD people would have to insert the techniques they are using today in competition into patterns of movement that emphasize good principles of movement (body shifting, breathing, timing, etc.). Someone that practices sport TKD would have to step in here - I can't help with sport techniques. But, I think the forms should be the "encyclopedia" of techniques used in sparring for modern TKD - to be useful for these students.

Just to play "Devil's Advocate," I still don't see what is wrong with the older forms practiced in Korea prior to the creation of the Palgue, Tae Guek or Yudansha forms. Older forms such as: Pyung Ahn 1-5, Shipsoo, Bassai Tae & Sho, No Hai, Chulki 1-3, Ahm Hak, Kong Son Kun. They certainly have more thought put into them than the Palgue or Tae Guk forms.

But, I suppose these older forms really don't reflect the changes that have occurred to TKD since 1967. In that sense, they (older forms) may not be useful for sport practitioners, since the connection between form technique and sparring could be a problem. Perhaps this is why I haven't seen any techniques from forms being utilized in modern TKD sparring.

R. McLain

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know I have to agree with the sport application thought process. However, the sport aspect is just that an aspect or piece of the whole pie.

See you can break down Tae Kwon Do as the following general pieces to create the Tae Kwon Do pie: Poomse, basic moves, one step sparring, striking and kicking drills.

I know each school is a little different in cirriculum variation. The school my friend belongs to teaches the Tae Guek forms only. They don't even get into the ITF forms.

They have different one step sparring techniques. However the basic moves are the same. At least 1-6.

So what would be practical for a new set of forms? Who would decide this? The better question would be what is practical? How would it be defined? For what purpose would they be better suited? Tae Kwon Do: Sport or Tae Kwon Do: Self-Defense?

Just a little to chew on I guess.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
What would be the best way for the Art of TKD to deliver a set of new poomse that has more practical techniques in them than the Taegueks od the Chon Ji poomse have?
Terry

I guess to voice an opinion on your queston, I'd have to understand the question better.

When you say "a poomse that has more practical techniques" what exactly is practical? Practical for what level? Practical to simulate a certain aspect of the art, or the art as a whole? Remember, we're talking essentially about relative beginners here. Or do you also mean Koryo, Kungang, Taebeak, etc.

I think the Palgwe's did a much better job of representing the art as a whole, but not relative to the level they're taught, at least nowdays. Hence, the birth of the Taegueks. They're both practical, but each to a certain end. Because these are the only form sets I'm familiar with, I'm not sure I'm even qualified to offer an opinion. Maybe if I had a better understanding of what you mean by "practical".

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I guess to voice an opinion on your queston, I'd have to understand the question better.

When you say "a poomse that has more practical techniques" what exactly is practical? Practical for what level? Practical to simulate a certain aspect of the art, or the art as a whole? Remember, we're talking essentially about relative beginners here. Or do you also mean Koryo, Kungang, Taebeak, etc.

I think the Palgwe's did a much better job of representing the art as a whole, but not relative to the level they're taught, at least nowdays. Hence, the birth of the Taegueks. They're both practical, but each to a certain end. Because these are the only form sets I'm familiar with, I'm not sure I'm even qualified to offer an opinion. Maybe if I had a better understanding of what you mean by "practical".

Practical for todays vase stituation of everyday life. I remember the old sets like Pyung Ahn 1-5, Shipsoo, Bassai Tae & Sho, No Hai, Chulki 1-3, Ahm Hak, Kong Son Kun. More in line with these. Gemini you are ones opinion I would love to hear more so than others.
Terry

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
How did I get my question or point passed up. I believe I did in fact bring up some very good points.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I'll give it a try based on what we all understand is my limited knowledge of our art. matt.m, this is in response to your statement also, so please don't feel left out.

I believe any form/kata/poomse should represent the art. I think we can all agree on that. However, to say it should represent self defense or sparring or such would be to say, in my mind, the equivelant of the servant (a single faccet our our art, representing it's master that in this case is Taekwondo. That makes no sense to me. However, again, if you're focusing solely on the colored belt forms such as Palgwe or Taeguek, I think they do a pretty good job now. When you get into the Black Belt forms, which get progressively harder, I think that is also a good representation as I know them.

When I say limited in my experience, it's because not being familiar with the original forms or the mid-advanced Black Belt forms, my opinion can only be weighed so far. Limited opinion based on limited knowledge.

So to answer your question based on that limited knowledge, I would say, I wouldn't change a thing. I think they're right where they need to be to serve their purpose.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This entire question rests on the question..."what is the purpose of poomse?"

In my art, Tang Soo Do, they represent everything the art encompasses. Hwang Kee has written many times that the backbone of our art are the hyung. With that being said, I think that outlining your objectives is very important.

This must be the first step whenever you are trying to teach anything. If you are confused about this, then your students will also be confused. Creating a hyung should never be taken likely. It is like a haiku that describes who you are in respects to the martial arts.

upnorthkyosa

ps - the "traditional" forms are great, btw, there is nothing wrong with stepping back in order to step forward.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was told that the purpose of forms were to practice moves with out fighting. Traditionally warriors did not spar, they did forms and went to war. Did I hear wrong?

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
This entire question rests on the question..."what is the purpose of poomse?"

In my art, Tang Soo Do, they represent everything the art encompasses. Hwang Kee has written many times that the backbone of our art are the hyung. With that being said, I think that outlining your objectives is very important.

This must be the first step whenever you are trying to teach anything. If you are confused about this, then your students will also be confused. Creating a hyung should never be taken likely. It is like a haiku that describes who you are in respects to the martial arts.

upnorthkyosa

ps - the "traditional" forms are great, btw, there is nothing wrong with stepping back in order to step forward.
Very good point. I like what you said. It kind of drives everything home in a nutshell.

allpet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry
For a new set to be more practical you should learn the applications first before you learn the poomse. The applications should also be a part of the belt test.

Otherwise they will just become part of the "poomse-hoarding".

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do know all the applications and I still believe a better set could be done with more of the traditional side inserted into the poomse it self.
Terry

allpet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What is traditional?

A hundred years ago you learned the applications first and then you learned the poomse, and maybe you learned only two or three poomse.

Today you learn 15-20 poomse but you don't learn the applications.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
allpet said:
What is traditional?

A hundred years ago you learned the applications first and then you learned the poomse, and maybe you learned only two or three poomse.

Today you learn 15-20 poomse but you don't learn the applications.

Traditional is not sport TKD and for the record I was not around a houndred years ago, I know I'm old but not that old
icon14.gif

Terry

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
a 100 years ago there wasn't anything called TKD...nor were there any of the forms that we know as TKD forms in existence either.

allpet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Terry, do you want traditional kick-punch-block applications like this gawi makki

04_07_ex2_12-1.jpg

or untraditional traditional applications like this geodeoreo arae makki? :ultracool

04_15_ex2_20-2.jpg

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good question allpet and I would say more of the traditional way of old, with the application being updated for today world.
If that makes sense to you.
Terry

allpet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Then you should try to train with Patrick MacCarthy or Vince Morris or their students, then you will see that the techniques in the taegeuk are effective. Fx. bo joomeok is a very nasty shoulder throw and it can even be used in ground fighting... :ultracool

Latest Discussions