Politics in M.A.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think part of it is knowing who certain people are and understanding what motivates them. If you know what motivates people then you can use that when needed to get things done.
For example, some people have larger egos. Therefore, giving them public thanks and making them feel special is important to get them to do something.
Part of politics is also tit for tat. You help me, I'll help you.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Why do you think there are so many styles and offshoots within those styles even? Politics. I hate it and I try my best to stay out of it.

F

foggymorning162

I try very hard to stay out of the politics but it isn't easy. Some people are very politically motivated and see everyone as a threat to their climbing the ranks. Being that I train at Federation HQ and the GM is there often it makes it especially hard. God forbid someone sees you talking too him, the conversation could be about the weather, traffic or the color of the sky and they think you are talking about them or sucking up etc. etc. I keep my personal life very personal and separate from MA but even a casual conversation with a parent about kids or work or the weather makes some people think your trying to get something that they don't have. The funny thing is that these are the same people who are in every body's business. It makes me nuts because I'm about the least politically motivated person around. I don't care about rank as long as I'm constantly learning new things you can give me back my white belt.

Politics almost made me quit about a year ago. Someone whom I had been close to, we started training at the same time, managed to get on the GM's sh_t list and was looking for someone to blame. She is very politically motivated and power hungry. She tries to run everything which is what pissed him off, but she can't admit her own mistake and issues so she needs someone else too blame. I was just the scape goat for that particular incident, I have a lot of company on the scape goat list. But we are just barely on speaking terms now.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In 31 years in the Chinese martial arts, under 3 really great teachers, I have seen politics almost crush our great art as the two main organizations, one run by an East coast person, and another run by a West coast person, splinter things to the point where the wushu team finished terribly in the last Asian games. Just so you know, one of my three teachers tried to democratically take over the East coast fed awhile back and due to the autocratic leadership of those installed, failed. He is now totally out of the political end. Within my three schools, there is political infighting, who is what, etc. In one, some of the "masters" under our Master had not seen me in almost 20 years before a gathering this year for everyone and were puzzled when both my training brother and I were hugged by him. They do not know that, while training under my two other masters, I trained under him yearly with my training bro in another city. Some were accepting of me, others not. As long as my teacher knows, that is all I care. He did ask my training brother, who I am senior to in kung fu overall by 6 years, but who is now my senior in this style, to bring me up to a certain level so others will respect me...LOL! I do not care about that, and my only "political" motivation after all this time is to honor my three teachers and the styles they taught me. I believe, from my observation in competing in both open and kung fu tournments for 18 years and judging the last 10-12, that kung fu overall is the most politicized due to the insistence that one always states their lineage, their teacher's background, or both. I have observed certain tae kwon do orgs down here in Texas be this way, but overall not that way. Though, I must admit, since I live in Houston, that the appointment of the last tae kwon do team to the Olympics seemed dominated by one family and very much political in a couple of instances on who became part of the team.

Frankly, all I care about is legitimacy, learning under good teachers, spreading the art that you were taught in an honorable fashion, and recognizing the debt you owe your teacher (s). Everything else is unnecessary, redundant and not part of what I personally consider the martial arts' code of protecting the weak and spreading the art.

Just my quarter's worth, since 2 cents does not buy anything anymore.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have seen people in organizations get promoted to teacher without even obtaining there first level!!

Now a days I try to stay out of politics and focus more on training.

You and I both....A lot more people need to to the same...

Agreed, I learned my lesson with Yang politics and I do my best to stay out of it these days.

Latest Discussions