What makes a good TKD School?

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Besides the obvious and easier to point out things, an instructer who cares about the art that he trains in and the people to whom he teaches it. That is likely the most important thing to look for.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Let's start first with what, IMHO, to avoid:
<snip>

Much of what Jonathon wrote is right on the mark...but I disagree with him on these points.

A large number of belt colors isn't necessarily bad. At my school we use the same ten colors as were offered twenty five years ago by the master who was the major catalyst for TKD in this town. That was long before the term "McDojo" was ever coined.

For some of those ranks I've added stripes for the children so that they feel they're making progress while training...it takes typically five to seven years for a kid to make it to black in my school. Without those stripe ranks (which require a test, but no fee) the kid would burn out and drop out. As much as we might deride it our social structure is organized on heirarchies...and kids are very aware of that. They need a mile marker to let them know they're moving forward.

Sparring contact is subjective. How many times have we seen here on MT where people brag about their school sparring with "full contact?" When pressed, we find they don't attempt to drop the person with every kick nor knock the person out with every punch, nor for that matter deliver what would amount to potentially killing blows.

What pro fighters take during training is significantly harder (perhaps) than what others might advocate...but few would suggest that a mother of two or a child of eight should hit, or be hit, as proportionally hard as Ken Shamrock gets hit and hits during training. But Shamrock has to stay in one piece for the next day's session, and mom has to shuttle kids around...neither wants broken ribs.

We constantly bemoan how this attitude of scaled down fighting is watering down the martial arts...and this is nonsense. All across America kids are playing Little League baseball and middle aged men are playing pick-up games of basketball. They don't train with the intensity or commitment of professionals. Have those professional sports suffered? Not technically.

There will always be a high level of performance in the martial arts and combat sports. The mainstreaming of it into American culture will bring millions of people of lesser talent, but also provide a much larger pool of potential geniuses from which to draw. This mainstreaming also removes many of the ridiculous prejudices and notions held about the arts...though we still encounter people who think black belts ought to be able to kill a person with a mere touch after having done a back-flip.

Kukkiwon certification is essentially meaningless. The Kukkiwon has no system of controlling the quality of the instructors they certify. They can not and do not insure those they certify are apt instructors or sound technicians.

A black belt club could be easily structured to teach those things not found within a standard curriculum. One might have a grappling program or a weapons class as part of a Black Belt Club. The idea by itself isn't bad. If it is used to leverage parents into signing contracts and committing to thousands of extra dollars, then I agree its a scam.

Regards,

Steve

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kukkiwon certification is essentially meaningless. The Kukkiwon has no system of controlling the quality of the instructors they certify. They can not and do not insure those they certify are apt instructors or sound technicians.

Kind of a broard stroke statement, don't you think? I would suggest that the Kukkiwon has a better grasp on their membership than most other similar organizations. Firstly, they have set forth minimum standards, that most instructors exceed. Secondly, certification can only be secured thru an instructor of 4th Dan status or higher. A legit 4th has tested before a board of higher rankings from 2nd on up. I will grant you that todays TKD is very sport focused as opposed to that of the late 70's, early 80's, but that unto itself forces the participant to be more physical in applications than prior proponents. This should have raised the bar, so to speak, for those seeking Kukkiwon certification. In addition, the Kukkiwon offers, in some cases mandates, instructor courses to be taken to ensure the sound technician aspect. I don't know of any other organization that has such a requirement. Now, are there those that slip thru the crack or have been curved into acceptance? No doubt, for no organization can control human nature and the pit falls that accompany the greed jean. I have seen it myself, but that is not the fault of the Kukkiwon, but rather the fault of a less than honorable individual member.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Han-Mi said:
Besides the obvious and easier to point out things, an instructer who cares about the art that he trains in and the people to whom he teaches it. That is likely the most important thing to look for.

Totally agree Han-Mi! Martial arts instruction first and foremost requires someone who knows what they are doing on the mat AND can pass his/her knowledge to others. It matters not whether the instruction is in a 12 x 12 garage or a 5000 sq ft state-of-art dojang.

Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:

Sort of off-topic, but not entirely. I'd like to disagree Steve but need to distinguish between Kukkiwon-certified Instructors versus Kukkiwon-certified students.

In order to be certified as a Kukkiwon Instructor, you must go to Korea, spend a week training and pass a written and physical test at the Kukkiwon. It is not automatic. You can't buy the Instructor Certificate.

Unfortunately, any 4th dan and above Kukkiwon dan holder (regardless of whether they passed the Kukkiwon Instructor Course) in the USA can certify their students. This means there is a LOT of variation between the quality of those holding Kukkiwon certification. However, the Kukkiwon can suspend the rights of those whom the Kukkiwon find out are issuing rank to unqualified individuals.

In order to hold a high rank there is a requirement to test in Korea. The Kukkiwon newsletter mentions the numbers of folks testing/passing/ FAILING the high dan test. Again, it is not automatic and can't be bought.

Miles

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Miles said:
Sort of off-topic, but not entirely. I'd like to disagree Steve but need to distinguish between Kukkiwon-certified Instructors versus Kukkiwon-certified students.

Okay, Miles...I can see what you mean by that. However, the Kukkiwon instructors course aside, there are Kukkiwon certified black belts across the country who teach. They're instructors with the certificates on their wall. Those are the ones I'm referring to.

And I stand by my original assessment of the Kukkiwon certificate's value. Kudos to those certified teachers who maintain high standards...but I submit many with certification are not.

Regards,

Steve

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
Okay, Miles...I can see what you mean by that. However, the Kukkiwon instructors course aside, there are Kukkiwon certified black belts across the country who teach. They're instructors with the certificates on their wall. Those are the ones I'm referring to.

And I stand by my original assessment of the Kukkiwon certificate's value. Kudos to those certified teachers who maintain high standards...but I submit many with certification are not.

Regards,

Steve

Although I agree with you about Kukkiwon certification value. In today world you cannot be sure about if that certificate on the wall is real or not since you can buy them on e-bay for pennies. HA HA:erg:

Latest Discussions