How many of you cross train?

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
How many of you here cross train in another or several martial arts?
If so, which ones?

I train in BJJ, Judo, MMA and Muay Thai.
Although at the moment only BJJ. I usually add in the other arts for a few months throughout the year.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I study with my teacher Bagua Hsingyi and Taichi chuan.

I would like to get back in Jujutsu because it is fun..The internal arts are alot of work hard agonizing work lol.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
In a way, my whole MA journey has been about crosstraining...Aikido to karate to kung fu to karate to tai chi and most recently TKD.

However, I am also truly cross training. I'm in the middle of an 8 week boxing seminar and I'm starting Bujinkan Budo taijutsu on Sunday...in addition to TKD.

Peace,
Erik

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Cross training, IMO, is a must for the true "Martial Artist". I've always believed in being the eternal student over the eventual master, so I always look at other styles/systems for new insights. However, after almost 40 years in the arts, it becomes more of realizing validations through consistancies (sp?) instead of new "innovations". In other words, I've found that those who consider themselves as "innovators" are usually imitators who choose not to credit their influence.

Franco

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If so, which ones?

Although at the moment only BJJ. I usually add in the other arts for a few months throughout the year.

Kenpo is my base art. I cross train in BJJ and Arnis. The 3, IMHO, blend very well together.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I train in Wado Ryu Karate and Ju Jutsu.Wado is my main art but I will take at least one lesson a week in the JJ Norway system. Recently I have also started taking the occational lesson in Nihon Goshin Ryu Ju Jutsu.

I find training like this very rewarding as long as I am mindful of what I am doing.

Last edited:

thesandman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The majority of my training has been in Kinney Karate, a system comprised primarily of TSD, Aikido, Jujitsu and Modern Arnis. I did no cross training at first, but after reaching my 1st Black (and moved away from my primary school for awhile) I did quite a bit of training in other styles. After returning home and continuing my primary training I felt a need to continue my cross training as well. Currently I'm working on something called "Karat-jutsu Kenkyukai though I know nothing of it's origins. I find it challenging and fun.

I disagree that cross training is a must, but it's certainly fun.

Remember when it comes to cross training, the more you learn, the less you master.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
crosstraining is far from a new concept. fighters, warriors, etc throughout time have ALWAYS picked up whatever they could from anyone else, just like any other trade. the idea of crosstraining being revolutionary is more of a reaction against 20th century martial arts marketing where this or that style was the best ultimate secret the military doesn't want you to know blah blah blah.

jf

OP
SensibleManiac

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
crosstraining is far from a new concept. fighters, warriors, etc throughout time have ALWAYS picked up whatever they could from anyone else, just like any other trade. the idea of crosstraining being revolutionary is more of a reaction against 20th century martial arts marketing where this or that style was the best ultimate secret the military doesn't want you to know blah blah blah.

jf

I totally agree, that's why I'm absolutely for it.

sjansen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I currently am learning kenpo and escrima and have done karate for over 20 years.

zeeberex

Green Belt
Reaction score
If so, which ones?

I center on Ninpo, but dabble in Serak, and Arnis also.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
TKD, Jujitsu and now Kenpo.

"Remember when it comes to cross training, the more you learn, the less you master. "

Speak for yourself, Sandman. :) I think it depends on how you do it. The more I learn about other martial arts, the more I learn about my own native language, TKD. Until I learned about soft styles, I did not know what to appreciate about hard styles. Before I learned about circular movements, I knew less about linear approaches. My 2 cents. :) I think you are probably more referring to the style hoppers. I have seen some people who switch so fast, they never get any deep knowledge, they are so busy looking for new knowledge. For me, all the other things I do add to my TKD and that is my purpose in seeking.

Of course, I did not start cross training until about 8 years in.

CDA4555

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I started my martial arts training later in life (30s) and began with Jeet Kune Do. While Jun Fan JKD has specific tools for attack, I also liked the philosophy of JKD where a practitioner should look into other martial arts in order to find what is usefull for the individual.

I am still trying to get better at JKD while also cross training in other arts. I really enjoy Muay Thai for the conditioning and sport aspect and I enjoy Filipino martial arts for weapons and a variety of empty hand techniques.

Apart from that I am also very interested in the fitness conditioning that helps in every aspect of martial arts. CrossFit, Russian Kettlebells, and other types of "functional strength" training is a great addition to cross training in martial arts.

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Currently training in Kenpo, also started as a beginner in Kara-Ho Kempo, and my original system was yet another Kempo style.

I have in the past also trained in, but claim no mastery--or even competence--in Aikido, Arnis, and boxing, as well as various forms of Karate and other things called kempo/kenpo.

hpulley

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I thought I'd posted already but apparently that browser went away before I sent it...

I cross train in weapons (kobudo, escrima, iaido, dao), gojuryu karate and taijiquan with qigong and bagua. I used to do some judo but it was just too hard to get out of bed in the mornings even training only twice a week (I literally had to do a warmup routine before I could walk properly) so I had to drop it. I should get back into some weight training too for a few specific areas that aren't already improved by the great workout I get from karate and kobudo.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I train kung fu most of the time but I did wrestle in high school and studied BJJ for almost a year. I grapple a little bit from time to time just so that I don't get rusty with my takedowns or submissions.

Latest Discussions