whose taken 2 free M.A. classes while being a trained M.A. already

Kenpo Missle 47

White Belt
Reaction score
i did it at tae kwon do school last year just for the heck of it , kenpo guys always talk mess about tkd how there style is weak etc etc , so i take the 1st class enjoyed it met some cool people , then took the 2nd class and people that didnt show up to the first one show up to the 2nd this time its sparring time , so i was asked if i would like to i said yes , match begins it took a few to figure each other out , then we had contact , i get kicked on the side of my face HARD ! daised me & surprised , for a second i went into full brawl mode but then i pulled it down a notch and showed some class & respect , wasnt able to join the school cause of work but i would really like to have some tkd in my life even if for just 6 months to a year i think its a cool stilo that offers alot.

shima

K3NPO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've moved states twice in my life, both times went and visited a couple schools in the new state before signing up for a new style. Already had rank in other styles each time I moved. Always interesting to switch styles and see how things differ.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In the same dojo where I'm learning Aikido, there is also a Brazilian Ju Jutsu class. My then boyfriend (now husband) was doing the BJJ class and he encouraged me to try the free 2 classes. I tried it and it was a lot of fun! I ended up becoming good friends with the only girl in the BJJ class. :) I would have enjoyed taking the class, but couldn't afford it. My husband had to stop training long ago due to work although he hopes rejoin someday.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to move around a little so I would take advantage of free classes when in a new area, usualy in systems I had not studied before. I like to get the feel of a class before i decide if I want to study at a new school.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've recently gotten into the habit of checking out local schools when I'm out of town on business (if I'm able). I've met some really great people by doing so and most of them afterwards have extended invitations to me to come back and train with them again if I'm ever back in the area. I actually even keep in touch with some via Facebook. It's also allowed me to catch glimpses of styles that aren't offered in my area.

Inkspill

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I take free lessons from places fairly often, though not so much recently. a couple years ago I decided to go on a martial art quest and check out as many other places as possible. helps to broaden the horizon and see how other arts express motion, plus I get to see their teaching and training methods and whether they are BS or not. I also think I checked out so many other arts because I had a lot of doubt in the training I was receiving.

while I was studying San Soo Kung Fu I visited a couple different TKD places, Krav Maga, Pencak Silat, Pai Lum (white dragon kung fu), Gracie & Behring Jiu Jitsu, kick boxing, boxing, Kyokushin, Bujinkan, Limalama, Arnis.

since studying American Kenpo for the past (almost) 2 years, I've visited 2 other American Kenpo schools, and a Kombatan Arnis school.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do periodically. Partly just to see how other schools do things and partly to see what other arts are like first hand.

Daniel

shima

K3NPO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've recently gotten into the habit of checking out local schools when I'm out of town on business (if I'm able). I've met some really great people by doing so and most of them afterwards have extended invitations to me to come back and train with them again if I'm ever back in the area. I actually even keep in touch with some via Facebook. It's also allowed me to catch glimpses of styles that aren't offered in my area.

This is one of the great things to do when traveling. :)

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I never took the "free classes" kind of thing but I rocked up to numerous different clubs in my surrounding area when I had more time and back when I was training and competing regularly; sometimes invited by others I had met from tournaments or gyms and sometimes just off the street.

I always went in with a respectful, and cautious approach (sometimes when you turn up to a club with the idea of doing some sparing, of varying intensity, you never know what can eventuate). And generally it was very beneficial training with different styles.

Some, generally the less commercial and more open minded, clubs would even let me spar pretty seriously with their practitioners. And with those minded types it was always good afterwards talking about pros and cons (or just different approaches) of my style and theirs. It was generally the more ego (reputation)-orientated clubs that would not let me actually spar with their high (bb+) students; but hey, it's their club.

It was nice when some, not many, would show interest and ask to visit my club for a look-see in return.

It's a great way of relating to other styles and clubs, be they in the locality or while travelling, and you may even stumble onto something that is "more you" than where you currently are...

I would definitely recommend doing this to any people just starting out to get a good feel for what is out there and in their area. As said earlier, try to avoid the strong arm "sign the contract" there and then or putting up payment for that first time you attend; I had one guy at a big school ask for $20 for a trial class; no thanks!

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I always wanted to a Mcdojo type place with nothing on indicating that I knew anything about Martial Arts at all, just to see what they would offer me, or what kind of contract they would try and lock me into.

but no I haven't taken free classes outside of my normal ones from my instructor. Although I have visited other schools at the residing instructors permission.

Trading knowledge is one of the best ways to learn.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I moved to my current city I went into severe Systema withdrawal because my current teacher only gives one class a week. <twitch .. sweat .. no I'm fine, really. :) >

So I dabbled, hoping to find something compatible to it. There's a lot of great MA in this town, but the only things that really grab my interest aren't compatible with my schedule. I was always careful to show up to classes where there were regulars there, so I wouldn't hog the time of some teacher who would otherwise go home. It was fun - I learned a lot, expanded my skill set, and spread the Systema gospel a little in the process. If I had more time, and a car to explore dojos further away, I'd keep doing it.

C Denny Run*

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think it's a fantastic idea. I sat in on a few different classes from local dojo's. Had I not have done it, I could have easily ended up in the wrong style MA, for my size, weight, and interests.

My Sensei actually encourages us to explore other arts, and see what else is out there. In fact, at a certain belt level, we are required to do improvised moves that are influenced by other arts. It's a lot of fun for the students, and forces you to keep an open mind. I think it's brilliant.

Kemposhot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I sampled a few in the area before deciding to join mine. It's a good idea because it gives you a good sense of if you want to do it or not. I found most dojos to be very friendly and welcoming to new comers.

Someday when I have the time, I'd love to take on a 2nd martial art.

Latest Discussions