Police Baton too rough today?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not until it reaches the level of something like Star Trek's phaser. I think we will see some sort of Taser that is more self contained, no wires and longer range, in the next several years. Not fired out of a shotgun -- but out of a more standard handgun platform. But, just like so many generations have thought that they'd see the end infantry or the bayonet... but they're both still around... You won't see an end to batons or handguns. They all have roles in the use of force.

I have to agree that neither guns nor batons are going to go away any time soon. Police need to be able to, as best as possible, equal or exceed any force they may encounter. And as harsh as baton use may be, it is still non-lethal, used properly.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, I was talking with some of my coworkers the other night about Tasers. We were joking about zapping each other... and any cop here knows that if they ever did come up with a phaser/stunner gadget, there'd be unconscious precinct houses. 'Cuz you know we'd be zapping each other!

DSMartialArts

White Belt
Reaction score
God forbid we let the police do their job. The only people who get injured are those who resist. You can judge an action of a few and say all police are that way.

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using Tapatalk

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
God forbid we let the police do their job. The only people who get injured are those who resist. You can judge an action of a few and say all police are that way.

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using Tapatalk

This is the Main Reason I think they should Keep them. Since even if they do Pacify someone whos Resisting, the Officer is in a Good Level of Control of how much Force he Applies.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
no its not to rough, provided that the cops use it responsibly. I have watched the TV show cops a few times in the last month or two, and at least 80% of the time what I saw shown, the police officer was liable for arrest and should have been arrested at least as much as the suspect!

I do not have a problem with use of force when justified as in that film. none what so ever! I have a real problem with some of the officers out there as far as their attitude and conduct. I have a huge dislike for the 'use against them' attitude so many quickly seem to manifest. I also really dispise the attitude of 'if its a cop doing it it justified', and the tradition of the 'blue wall of silence'.

are cops always wrong or something? NO! are they always right? NO! but the attitude of I have a badge and a gun so I am THE LAW.. that is wrong. we need to somehow get back to the idea that they are servants of the public, and not bully boys with a badge. ( yes I have seen that happen in real life. I watched a cop lie through his teeth to the local police shooting team. { about shooting a dog next to a school with out cause! I personally saw it! I told the shooting team what I had witnessed and that it had endangered people with out cause! the animal was sitting there not even barking!!} and they did not fire him, but kept him on the force!)

so to rough? not at all.. except I would train them to stay away from the neck and head always as that is just to easy to kill some one that way. Killing some one with that tool would lead to problems and provably should depending again on the situation.

the only other thing is a shooting team review of such things with a real attitude of you don't use good judgment with it or any other weapon and your off the force. ( I am talking about egregious things like that one cop shooting the dog! he could have hit a kid if he had missed or what have you!! )

Latest Discussions