Oh yay: Earn Your Black Belt Online Anytime Anywhere

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm all for using technology (I work on it everyday), but what's next online dive certification via glubbglubbImoutofair.com ?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since I don't know his standards for promotion, I won't say the first things that come to my mind. But I stronly suspect my first impressions of shameless desire for money over desire to properly teach SD in general, and Karate in particular, are correct. It simply is not possible to correctly teach MA on line.

James HKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with oftheherd1. For myself, MA was about overcoming my fears and inhibitions. The whole "Strange facility" and unfamilar people is just one obstacle on the path to overcome. Perhaps his intentions as an instructor are legitimate but it is overshadowed by how much money he could profit off of this. The is no way to replace a good instructor with a third person point of view and no one to correct what is wrong.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm all for using technology (I work on it everyday), but what's next online dive certification via glubbglubbImoutofair.com ?

Technology is already a big part of dive certification. Most agencies offer everything from basic Open Water and Advanced Open Water through things like Nitrox online. You still need to do the dives, of course, but the classroom portion can be done online.

Ashida Kim has been selling junk BB's for years, so this is nothing new.
And if I recall correctly. at least one of the Gracies offers online/DVD training and testing.

That's not an endorsement, just a comment.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As long as there is money to be made, there will be people capitalizing on it. I on the other hand, would not trade the experience of training in a dojo, along with the camaraderie, friendships, and hands on training that I feel changed my life.
I'm with you , Bill, wow.........

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
As long as all the Risks were made Clear, I suppose it could Benefit other MAists who just want to see some base Karate stuff.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Besides - Ive already earned an Online Black Belt.
On this Site.

Out of Editing Time to Throw this In, so Double Post Ahoy :p

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Besides - Ive already earned an Online Black Belt.
On this Site.

Out of Editing Time to Throw this In, so Double Post Ahoy :p

Well earned, we're glad to have you :)

DSMartialArts

White Belt
Reaction score
I am part of the world hapkido association and they offer online classes you send a video of your test until you are ready to test for black belt then you must test in person at one of their 2 annual seminars.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

ShotoJon

White Belt
Reaction score
What good is a blackbelt - if no other organization will recognize it?

in my opinion, i dont agree with online martial arts training. nothing beats an instructor whos actually there. but on the other hand, who cares about the organizations? so long as you work hard and truly earn the black belt, no one can take that sence of accomplishment and pride away from you. i dont practice my art so ill be reconized. i practice so i can be prepared.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
in my opinion, i dont agree with online martial arts training. nothing beats an instructor whos actually there. but on the other hand, who cares about the organizations? so long as you work hard and truly earn the black belt, no one can take that sence of accomplishment and pride away from you. i dont practice my art so ill be reconized. i practice so i can be prepared.

I'm not getting into being prepared, or the validity of organizations, or any of that. Organizations are great for comparing yourself against similar martial artists graded to the same standards, in classes or competition. Also saves me a LOT of headaches when I have students transfer.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've got lots of uses for an unrecognized black belt. Skipping rope. Fashion accessory belt. Lynching. S&M toy. Head band. Dog collars. Leash. Replace handle on instrument case. Shoulder strap for guitars. Replace broken seats in wicker chairs. Decoration for wooden chests or footstools. Tourniquet. Pressure bandage. Extra rope. Curtain ties. Hairclip holder. Restoring area rug. Novelty size shoelaces. Miniskirt (warning won't cover much). Pulley. Bracelet (rip in two and you get matching sets). Add to basket or storage container for instant flare. Bottle holder (place baby on couch, tie belt around bottle and use safety pins to hold end in position).

Any other ideas?

ShotoJon

White Belt
Reaction score
I've got lots of uses for an unrecognized black belt. Skipping rope. Fashion accessory belt. Lynching. S&M toy. Head band. Dog collars. Leash. Replace handle on instrument case. Shoulder strap for guitars. Replace broken seats in wicker chairs. Decoration for wooden chests or footstools. Tourniquet. Pressure bandage. Extra rope. Curtain ties. Hairclip holder. Restoring area rug. Novelty size shoelaces. Miniskirt (warning won't cover much). Pulley. Bracelet (rip in two and you get matching sets). Add to basket or storage container for instant flare. Bottle holder (place baby on couch, tie belt around bottle and use safety pins to hold end in position).

Any other ideas?

makeshift swing, childrens scarf (probably wont work well but you could try it) lol

Latest Discussions