police abuse

OP
R

Rob_Broad

In Canada the Criminal Code states an officer may arrest by any force neccessary, which actually means the least amount of force to get the person subdued. Unfortunately there are people who resist arrest, and they can be dangerous to the arresting officer, bystanders and themselves. I am not advocating police brutality but if I had to punch a suspect and knock him out for my safety there would be no second thought. One of the duties of a police officer that people rarely think of is to go home at the end of their shift.

Police officers in Ontario get 13 hours of unarmed combat training at the Police Academy and must take a 4 hgour refresher course every other year. We do hold them to a higher standard but we must rmeinder they are people just like the rest of us first and foremost. I say bring back the Tazer and light them up like a Christmas Tree and we will have fewer cases of police abuse.

OP
D

DWright

I have had the experience of testifying at excessive force cases, and have watched this incident with great interest.

I have watched this tape repeatedly, and watched the officer accused. I would like to hear his side of the story.

Watch the clip very closely. This officer is standing straight up, then doubles over rapidly, then slams this guy to the car. The suspects hands are handcuffed behind him at the officers groin level. Judge I think we may have a defense.

I can hear it now. "members of the grand jury. I slammed mr. so and so the the car to force him to let go of my groin, when he didn't, I punched him. I could not pull away because........"

This is only speculation. However I have sat on many cases that were first tried in the media, that had a reasonable explanation. I have also seen cops out of line.

Don't overlook what you can't see. Watch the tape again keep your eyes on the officers bodylanguage. Gentlemen, do you move like that when someone nails you in the groin?

Just my point of view. I wasn't there so I don't know the whole story.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by hand2handCombat

i live in Los Angeles, CA and i seen police brutality on a handcuffed 16 year old, his head was slammed into the trunk then he punched in the face. the guy who recorded it is in jail now. who knows what the cops done before the guy statrted rolling the tape.

as a MAist, what would you have done if this was you?

H2HC,

Did you see the whole event from start to finish? In Person???

I one of my previous jobs that was required more physical interaction then my current profession. I called the cops to deal with someone, I had a 'feeling' about. This punk was high on so many things it was hard to believe he was alive. Well when the cop showed up he tried to run. No biggie,
but straigh inot a locked door. The door one round one. He then tried to hide. Cop walked right up to him. He then calmly walked outside with the officer. Where he then proceeded to attack the cop. He bit him once in the thigh, just missed the testical, bit the officer in the kidney region, and he also bit him on the neck/shoulder. This is not to mention the scrathes and hits the officer was taking. This all happened before I could get outside and lend a hand. After a couple of minutes, (* seemed like a life time *), I was able to hold the guy for a couple seconds for teh officer to ask for assistance. When the other squad cars came in, a beating took place. I rolled up into a ball and did not move. Did the cops do anything to me until the first officer could identify me? No, I was not a threat. Finally after standing on the punks head while in the parking lot, they were able to get cuffs on him. Note: He had bit the other three cops, etc., ..., . One just said enough is enough. Once they had the cuffs on him, they tried to get him into a car. A faught back again including kicking him. He kicked an officer in the face, the officer instinctively let go of him, as did the others based on his cue. The punk fell to the ground, his head hit the door jam of the car on the way down. NOte: He was calming for this but still not out. He finally agreed to get into the car if they would stop standing on him.

Now is you had seen the 'wrong' 30 second video tape of this one could assume that a bunch of cops were beating a hand cuffed man.

Sorry for the :soapbox:

Rich

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Seig

Very simply, I would not have put myself in that situation.

Add to that, carry on you, and read your ACLU Cop Busters card. Stay silent, and comply. Always be smarter than the next guy!:asian:

OP
S

samuraijack

this is a very complicated issue. I myself as a martial arts instructor teach non aggressive attitudes to my students on the other hand i as a police officer myself, i do understand that alot of times there's a long history between the criminal and the officer and the public may not understand what went on behind the scenes. but to awnser the question what would i do? i would never recommend anyone interfering in a arrest situation, regardless of your skill level, your not a super hero sent out to right the wrongs of our society, and you could end up in serious legal trouble that is concidering that you don't get shot during this whole thing. if the officers are indeed doing something wrong and someone has it on tape then that is a differant story, but the police have a hard enough job trying to stay alive and come home to our families without citizens taking it upon themselves to enforce any wrong or presumed wrong situations

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seems sensible samuraijack. It's easy to forget that the police collectively have dealt with these situations many times, gained much experience by trial-and-error, and codified that in standard procedures they follow which are likley to be the wisest course of action, considering all exigencies and also legal issues. A civilian bystander wouldn't know what these were.