Favourites

M

Master of Blades

what is your favourite Martial Art or whay Martial Art fascinates you the most. What made you choose the Martial Art you do?

Me personally I chose Kali/JKD because my father wanted to teach me it. I originally wanted to do Muay Thai but decided against it cuz the class moved to far away. I dont really have a favourite Martial Art but I do like the ideas behind 5 Animals Kung Fu and I HOPE to be starting Wing Chun cuz that just rocks!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I fist started in the arts I studyed with the only local instructor. As I got to see the other arts (at tournaments) I found out who the most respected and feared instructors where. WHich seemed to have the most knowledgeable students (and then I let my wife tell me who I would study with next;) )
My choice was a combination of all three roled into one. I had 2 choices actuly and my job moved me north to the town one lived in so I studyed with him . Still do 30+ years later. Oh yes I studied with the other one for a while also the two where like brothers in their thinking and the way they choose who thewy would teach

Shadow:asian:

OP
H

hand2handCombat

well i do muay thai because it has a history that amazes me. it has so many moves and its very effective. i wanted to learn the ancient art but there was no gym i know of that teaches it. so i learned the ring art. it would be great if someone linked me to a site with info on the ancient arts.

bjj is the best for ground fighting. its good for me when im not in the mood to fight.

striking works on timing and relfexes, grapple is just needs techniques. both are great

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
My start was similar to tshadowchaser's. I was interested in learning tai chi, but didn't know of any group on campus offering instruction. When I found out that the Chinese Martial Arts Club was started back up again after something like a 5 year hiatus, I checked it out. They were going to teach mainly northern Shaolin long fist kung fu (which is mainly what I'm doing), but the teacher also planned to do tai chi a little later on. Since I'm a grad student and planning to finish soon, the teacher started teaching me tai chi in the spring to make sure I got it before I leave. He wants everyone to learn some tai chi before they graduate and leave. But that's how I got into it. The CMAC was going to teach tai chi, so I joined and got to learn kung fu as well.

Oh, as for a favorite art, I don't think I have one. My knowledge and experience of martial arts is really too limited to play favorites now.

OP
L

LanceWildcat1

Master of Blades:
what is your favourite Martial Art or whay Martial Art fascinates you the most. What made you choose the Martial Art you do?

I chose Shaolin because, after doing much research, it came out as being the one that taught what I was looking to learn, and was compatable with my body dynamics. I have studied jujitsu in the past (30+ years ago!), and enjoyed the hard physical workouts. I find that the workout's in my chosen 'Art', help me, at age 53 and with my disability, to maintain flexibility and strength, while enjoying working in the genre of martial arts study.
:soapbox:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started MA cause of a job I had (security). I wanted to learn self defense. But I fell in love the mental side MA as well as the physical. I studied the history, meaning of forms, ect. It's a part of me now.

OP
M

MinnieMin

Amercian Kenpo is the only marcial art that I've been in and I love it at the FREE introduction class when I went with my husband to the class. Before that, I have no idea of what Kenpo is

OP
M

MinnieMin

Ooops, first time. Don't know what I was doing. But you got the idea -- I love Kenpo art very much, and I am so glad that I went with him. He was the one acturally wanted to learn it and I was just went with him. Tell you the truth, I love it more than my husband.

Hehe...
MinnieMin

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

LOL...I hope he's not reading this. Back on topic, my favorite martial is kenpo as well. I chose it because I'm not much of a kicker and the flow and hand speed that comes with kenpo is awesome. I also favor muay thai and modern arnis since they compliment kenpo rather well.

BTW, from one newbie to another one, welcome to the board

Latest Discussions