FIU judo club makes short work of carjacker in L.A.

M

Monkey King

FIU judo club makes short work of carjacker in L.A.
August 19, 2002, 6:03 AM EDT

LOS ANGELES -- Florida judo club members beat and doused an alleged carjacker with gasoline then handed over the grimacing, moaning 20-year-old to police officers.

Tyrone Jermaine Hogan, of Los Angeles, held his ribs Sunday and winced in pain as TV news crews recorded his arrest.

``The boys are punching him in the face and I wanted to go around for a choke, to choke him out, but I didn't want to risk getting punched in the head, so I started pounding him from the back,'' said Christina Baldacci, a Florida International University judo club member.

The Florida judo club members weren't Hogan's first alleged victims.

At 1:30 p.m., Hogan allegedly carjacked a couple, punching the driver, in the face, pulling him out of his Nissan and driving away with his wife in the passenger seat, said police Sgt. Karlene Gibson. Hogan allegedly tried to steal the woman's purse.

Failing, he shoved the woman out of the car. Witnesses followed him but lost sight of him.

Hogan reappeared about six blocks away at a Hollywood gas station.

Meanwhile, the athletes, who were in town to teach a self-defense class, had taken a tour of Hollywood just before stopping for gas on their way to Los Angeles International Airport to return home.

One of the student athletes told police Hogan began harassing another couple before making eye contact with him.

Hogan then asked a team member for money and reached into their rented minivan to try and steal the car keys.

But the match was a mismatch.

``We had this guy like a pretzel on the ground,'' said Nestor Bustillo, the team's judo instructor.

During the scuffle that broke out between Hogan and a half-dozen team members, the nozzle of a gasoline pump broke off, making the situation dangerous, Bustillo said.

``We were wrestling around, there was gas pumping out and we were trying to subdue this guy,'' he said. Hogan was arrested for investigation of felony carjacking, kidnapping and robbery, said Sgt. Allen Hamilton. He was held in lieu of $1.2 million bail.

Some of the judo club members who were doused with gasoline during the scuffle took showers at the LAPD's Hollywood station before the club caught a flight to Miami.
Copyright © 2002, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

OP
H

hand2handCombat

i wanna see the security cam vid. thatll be cool:D :p

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, see how whacked out we are in Florida? Only someone who's spent some time in this nutty state would continue trying to subdue someone while being doused with gasoline.

:D

Cthulhu

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Those Judo students probably never had any self-defense lessons per say; however, it shows that pure sport Judo has some aspects of self-defense inherent in it. I suspect that if the Judo girl on TV had actually choked the guy every sleazy lawyer in California would be calling him by now. She showed she was prudent and exercised good control.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of the news stories said they were teaching self-defense but who knows if they got it right.

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

One of the news stories said they were teaching self-defense but who knows if they got it right.

One of the first rules in self-defense training is to avoid situations as best as possible. When confronted, as the kids were, then they seemed to do what ever was right. I suspect they did approach the guy with some caution but then let loose. Good for them. If they had some self-defense training it paid off.