police abuse

H

hand2handCombat

i live in Los Angeles, CA and i seen police brutality on a handcuffed 16 year old, his head was slammed into the trunk then he punched in the face. the guy who recorded it is in jail now. who knows what the cops done before the guy statrted rolling the tape.

as a MAist, what would you have done if this was you?

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by hand2handCombat

i live in Los Angeles, CA and i seen police brutality on a handcuffed 16 year old, his head was slammed into the trunk then he punched in the face. the guy who recorded it is in jail now. who knows what the cops done before the guy statrted rolling the tape.

I hate to say it, but I would've taken the beating, regardless of
my skill level. Ya never know if there's a camera there or not. And
if you go to court with a bunch of bruised, broken cops in casts
there to testify against you, it's NOT a good sight!

Seen on a L.A. County Sheriff's vehicle:

Los Angeles County Sheriff
To Protect And Serve .... white people.

Note: The preceding statement was an attempt at humor, and
in no way was intended to be a racist comment towards non
white martial artists, their families, coworkers, or close relations.
Please understand that the joke was intended to poke fun at
the L.A. County Sheriff's office alleged racism. The
preceding joke was an independant comment of the poster, and
is not necessarily thought humorous by www.martialtalk.com, it's
webmaster, moderators, administrators, members or affiliates.
Humor was created by God, who himself has a sense of humor.
Just look at the platopuss.

Note: The preceding joke was an attempt at humor, and in no
way was intended to insult the plattopuss, plattopuss lovers,
their families, coworkers or close relations.

Note: This message has been brought to you by the FTITCTAJ
("Forget" Them If They Can't Take A Joke) League.

OP
H

hand2handCombat

Kirk,

the joke made me laugh my a$$ off, boy was that funny

OP
K

Kirk

heheheh .. thanks ... 1 down, 750 to go. *sweat*

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm giving all parties involved in this the benefit of the doubt. We have no idea what happened before the tape started rolling.

OP
H

hand2handCombat

We have no idea what happened before the tape started rolling.

ok, lets say something happend before it did, they should have taken action then. not take it when he's handcuffed. its not fair.

besides, what could have he done that was so bad, that he got a beating. its racial, because it happened to another black guy.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472

I'm giving all parties involved in this the benefit of the doubt. We have no idea what happened before the tape started rolling.

I live in Denmark, so I've only heard it mentioned on the news. I havn't seen the video.

But I have to agree with nightingale8472. No one knows execpt the invovled parties what has happend before hand; 5 min. or a day before.

There are a lot of 'what if's' in this.

Now I just want to state that I dont agree on beating up on people.

/Yari

OP
L

LanceWildcat1

hand2handCombat:

The first thing that I'll do is to wait until the whole story comes out, before jumping to conclusions. I heard that the kid kicked one of the cops pretty hard in the groin, but don't know for sure. If he did, the mistake the police made was doing what they did in broad daylight, instead of a dark garage! I, by no means, am condoning what the cops did, however! They are supposed to keep their cool in all sorts of situations, and this was one of those situations. However, given the history of the L.A. Police Department, I think that what they did was unprovoked. But, I will wait until the whole story comes out, if it ever does, before making a judgement. On the surface, it looks like a classic case of police brutality, in all its ugliness! :mad:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
on the surface, it looks like police brutality. however...
what if, after being cuffed, the guy tried to run? that would explain the slamming on the hood of the patrol car... and of course, the police's actions could have been totally, completely without cause.

I'm giving BOTH parties the benefit of the doubt until I know the whole story.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will not say anything onthat incident but I will say that I had an officer take about 14 punches at my face because I refused to let him search me without telling me what he was looking for. Yes there where whitnesses. No, it was not a LA cop but one from Orangre, county (anaheim, Garden Grove area)
NO he never touched me but he got so frustrated he did pull his weapon. AND NO I did not strike back I only fended off his attack with as little damage to him as possible.
If they dont like you your a dust to them. and they look at anyone not a cop as a criminal. At least in Southern Calif.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now that I have made my statement about SO. Calif. police, let me say that I have instructed police and law enforcement personal in other states. Not all officers are abusive,and mean. It's like any other profession, there are good, bad, and indifferent officers.
Without knowing all of the actions taken by each party in an incident it is verry hard to tell what really happened and what lead up to events that are only partily captured on film.

Shadow:asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't seen more than a brief clip from the video of the arrest. The whole story is always more complicated. One has to be patient.

OP
H

hand2handCombat

your probably right, based on a small clip like this. but its very hard to give the benefit of the doubt when it happend to another guy who happned to be black. but i understand your perspective on this.

OP
G

GouRonin

Not much you can do. Police do an art called, "Lotsa guys fu" which invloved them all piling on top of you. However when a guy is cuffed and custody a few shots to the head just can't be justified. But we'll have to see. If he gets covicted of a crime then he does. Police are held to a higher standard due to their job. It's part of the responsibility we entrust them with when we give them the badge and gun.

As for the guy who shot the tape being arrested. Well he had a warrant out for his arrest. Of course the police didn't bother executing this warrent before when he was taping prostitutes for them to prosecute because then it was profitable for them. However when the tape shows up on the evening news and everyone sees it then I suppose that you shouldn't have an excuse for not serving the warrant now would you?

OP
E

Eraser

Kirk...

You must have watched the movie Dogma a few times to remember that quote.. LOL:rofl:

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eraser

Kirk...

You must have watched the movie Dogma a few times to remember that quote.. LOL:rofl:

I saw the movie, and loved it, but can't remember the quote your reffering to.

/Yari

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV

Very simply, I would not have put myself in that situation.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Yari

I saw the movie, and loved it, but can't remember the quote your reffering to.

/Yari

The quote was only the plattopuss part. The rest was all mine
baby! ;)

It's at the VERY beginning, before you ever see a character.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok lets say they just arrested Manson, or Hitler or whatever the frick.... once they are handcuffed they are NOT supposed to be beaten regardless of their crimes. The slamming on the hood is no big deal as far as I'm concerned but punching the guy in the face while his hands are cuffed behind his back is waaaaaay past the line and that officer acted criminally, regardless of his reasons.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How ironic I should find this thread today when last night a friend that has become my adopted brother almost called to let us know that he was beated by an Athens, GA cop the night before.

While at a party he had gone outside w/a friend and the door locked behinded them. From outside he tried to get his roommates attention inside by yelling for him. Since Athens is a college town there are always parties and cops on the weekend. A cop came up behind him and put him in a choke hold and pulled him around to the back side of the building where he then started hitting and beating him with his club and a clipboard, that way he would not leave hand marks on him!!!! The cop then arrested him for drunkeness. Now I've gone out w/this friend when he has been totally wasted and never has he ever become violent in any way, just loud, and wanting to have a good time.

I can't even express how upset I am at the fact that this happened. My friend ironicly is going to college to become a lawyer, and the most trouble he's ever been in with the law is having a speeding ticket. Yes, he has taken legal action and has filed against the cop. I must say that before this I would say that I would be just upset in the way that the cop acted on the video mentioned, but now I am really enraged that someone can take their powers and abuse there powers like that. Sure sometimes it is nessessary but when it hits that close to your family and home you see it in a different light.:angry: