Pepper Spray for Self Defense?

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
... One reason many people, especially many women, look to things like pepper spray for self defense is that they want a quick fix that doesn't involve really addressing the issue of physical confrontation. I know people who carry spray precisely because they cannot come to terms with having to do real damage and "really hurt" another person. ...

Pepper spray is not "bug spray, for bad guys".

Female self-defense students and many others who are "peaceful and would never hurt an ant" think pepper pray is exactly that magic. Using pepper spray is obviously not as simple as people who never used it think. It can be a crutch to self-defense, but I found that educating people will slowly relieve them of that "ultimate pepper spray defense" idea.

Those that study with me and are interested in pepper spray, I show them a few kinds of pepper spray choices, such as the Kimber LifeAct, and pepper spray/kubaton, that they can see that pepper spray is more than "bug spray", and thoughts of how to use it are different, and methods of delivery have advantage and disadvantages. After some lessons, most feel that they no longer feel they need to carry that in many cases, as there are other tools to use which are more readily available and less likely to produce adverse effects. Using pepper spray for demo outdoors is one thing, but if had to use it in a confined area, a room, subway, bus, or if there are others around that don't need to be sprayed, those need to be considered ...

Most self-defense situations, usually there's no time to bring out the spray from it's hidden place in the purse, pocket, backpack... and if there is time to dig it out, shouldn't one be running already?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it can be okay if used in a similar application to metsubishi, as it shares many many principles in common.

I would hazard that its ideal usage in a real self defence type encounter is to spray the heck outta the other guys eyes, to create an opportunity to run like hell to a safer location.

Agreed. Pepper spray is at best a distraction to give them something to take their mind off of you for a brief second. If you have it in your hand I would actually suggest hitting them with the can by striking them with the edge of the can and then spraying them with it after you've kncoked them to the ground or thrown them, or just before knocking them to the ground or throwing them. Either way, pepper spray by itself is seemingly useless.

It's only even slightly useful if you have out before things get start which means walking around with it in your hand properly oriented in the right direction before the attacker even approaches you.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Be careful when you ask for directions :uhyeah:

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score

Be careful when you ask for directions :uhyeah:
I think He needs to take some Self Defense Classes, so that next time, He can redirect Her Arm, and use it to do a Takedown, face first into the Concrete.
Then I would giggle.

Last edited by a moderator:

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is possible to function after being hit with it, they had a demonstration on either 60 min. or 20-20 where a female deputy was told she was going to be attacked in this parking lot as she walked through it. she had the oc spray in her hand, and sprayed the other deputy playing the attacker. he still took her down and could have injured, killed her or what have you..

not a dependable against a determined attacker. if your really afraid, get a CCL and a gun, or some very good training in unarmed combat. I prefer Karate from Okinawa, but most of the traditional arts and some others are very good.