Paid Help.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At my school, a few of us always helped with the classes. There was no charge, just our pleasure to do it. We were, after all, gaining something from it just for the experience. Now, we have high schoolers (and some adults) that are referred to as Staff, and get paid. Just doesn't seem right to me. Then again, maybe it just isn't right FOR me.

Is this normal? Is there a normal? What does your school do?

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No one but the sensei in our school ever got paid to help out. Helping out is part of being a good school member.

If we helped teach then we were learning the skills necessary to impart knowledge to future generations of martial artists.

The only difference is that black belts who were selected to be assistant instructors didn't have to pay for class. It was a priviledge of rank and a reward for being selected to teach.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would also depend on the size of the school/if it is the instructor’s sole source of income.

Generally at schools I have been at people that 'help' would obviously not get paid for it. However there may be a office administrator that gets paid..or assistant instructors that work on a regular basis that might get some kind of financial benefit (free membership/payment).

I dont think it’s a bad thing to be considered staff if you are there working for certain hours every day/week, but I do think there is a difference between someone that helps out occassionaly and someone who works there.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah said:
Would also depend on the size of the school/if it is the instructor’s sole source of income.....However there may be a office administrator that gets paid..
I should have included this scenario. If it's a school that has multiple full time instructors, or help up front, I would of course expect them to earn an income. My reference was mainly to those who work part time in the dojo assisting.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our instructors do not get paid. We're a little different in that becoming an instructor is a side path to the one that leads to a BB. A student of a certain rank who shows interest and ability is invited to join the "Intstructor Trainee" class. This is invitation only. These students are pushed harder, held to a higher standard, are exposed to more advanced material and are also taught how to be an instructor in our school. Believe me, this training alone is adequate payment.

Once a student achieves a higher rank and has satisfactorily completed the instructor training, that student is promoted to the instructor level. At this point, the paths are again one and the instructor now attends two classes per week (5 hours total) where you are now the student of our Grand Master with the BB staff assisting. There are minimum teaching hour requirements but no pay. Again, there is more than enough nonmonetary compensation. It's different but it works quite well for us.

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
In my "normal" cases, nobody got paid but the head instructor. The instance I'm in right now is I get paid and I have a secretary that also gets paid. My best friend teaches as the assistant instructor and his wife helps out where she can as she is a student herself. (It's a kids class) This is also not my school per se... I'm hired to teach this class through a main group. It's all done at my discression, but the pay coems from them.

So I would have to say that it's an issue of circumstance when it comes to pay.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a few people who got paid: the office admin, the head instuctor and then there was an instructor responsible for all intro lessons and he got paid, not sure if paid in cash or just reduced lesson fees...

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
It all depends on the size of the school, I suppose. How much has it grown recently?

Not much, but now it allows several smaller groups to work independently of each other. Before, everyone followed the one instructor and did the same thing. I know of larger schools that have multiple full time instructors. Those aren't what I'm referring to here. I'm looking at the part time students that are themselves being trained to instruct. They're not really making the head instructors job easier, but harder because besides teaching the students, he's now also teaching them how to teach. I couldn't imagine being given the opportunity and turning around and asking to paid for it. It's a privelege to be asked and the opportunity alone is reward enough.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When underbelts "assist" in classes here, they don't get paid. It's considered to be part of your training to learn how to teach.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gemini said:
If it's a school that has multiple full time instructors, or help up front, I would of course expect them to earn an income.

I agree! As for the instructors...usually the only form of 'payment' that I've ever seen has been free lessons.

Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well we do not pay our instructor, primary because we don't make any money. We train each other for the love of the arts.
Terry

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Just my thoughts on this, not knowing all the info's.

If some of the assistant teachers are getting paid, than anyone who helps as a teacher should get paid too!

Unless you are volunteering your time.

For my Instructor this is a business for him and a few times he is unable to show up (family things). He will ask us to run his classes. I do it as a volunteer and do not expect anything in return.

At the same time it gives me a chance to share some of my own things with the class as well cover the old stuff too. The experiences is great, should I ever want my own school.

But if some people are getting paid and you feel uncomforable about it? Trust your intrincts something is wrong here. Talk to your teacher about this and ask the WHYS?......Aloha

Latest Discussions