Streamlined stretches for kids

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone would do in a kids class where time is an issue? I've only got 45 minutes per class and depending on the how the kids' focus is that night stretching can go from 10 minutes (rare) to over 15 (run of the mill recently.) I've been thinking of different stretches that can incorporate a coule of groups simultaneously to help speed the stretching process up a bit. I'm not looking for shortcuts or ways to rush (as that would be counter productive to their safety) but stretches that would best prepare them for the class. Here's the current "playlist" of stretches...
  • Palm up, arm out. Use other hand to stretch fingers downward.
  • make a bird/butterfly and grab the meat of the thumb with the front hand and turn thumb away from you.
  • clamp hands behind back and have partner lift hands.
  • partner v-sit stretch.
Now due to focus and time I've trimmed these out just to make sure that I don't run over on time.
  • Lay down and have partner stretch leg toward head for hamstring.
  • Runner's calf stretch (push the wall)
These are all done to a 5 count. From what I understand, the other instructors (varying styles) don't even do stretches or very little. This was all taken from when we all gathered to our group's all-state tournament a couple of weeks ago. I was quite supprised! One thing that I was thinking of putting in that would take care of the calf and hamstring is the leg crossover and touch your toes stretch. Any and all thoughts appreciated. :D

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dalum said:
Any and all thoughts appreciated. :D

Only because you asked....

(To me) Stretching before class is a waste of time for a few reasons.

1. Cold muscles don't take to it very well. Better to stretch after the exercise if you feel the need.

2. Most people do it wrong anyway with all the bouncing I see going on. And then they wonder why they've pulled or minorly torn something.

3. Children are the last group to need stretching. All of ours are like little pretzel people already, and it's pretty boring. Their attention is lost very quickly.

We lean more toward rolls, ukemi, kihon for a more cardio warm up.

Respects,
Frank

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i agree with frank... but a little stretch after warmups could develop good habits that will benefit them later. just don't have to overdo it.

pete

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Warm muscles stretch, cold muscles tear. It's best to start easy and warm them up before stretching. Combine a stance drill with a punching drill, etc. to warm them up. You can also do that with stretches. Arm stretches can be combined with a bow stance which will stretch the calves, for example.

OP
Dalum

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
Awww man, this was moved from the Modern Arnis section... I was hoping to keep it to same style for specific stretches within the style. Oh well, no big deal. :)

I'm not doing the stretches really to stretch, more for the good habits behind it plus the focus and discipline part too. I let them run around before class starts so they get their heart rate up. It's fun for them and it's not a stressful warm up. Some of them are quite limber and then others I'm supprised that they don't cry when they sit down as they are that tight!

With the bouncing, I've noticed that too. We are far away from the "Jane Fonda Workout that slapping the floor and screaming as the pain feels so good" that I'm suprised that people don't understand that damage may be the reason that it comes on like it does.

What I'm really looking for are better ways to streamline the effort.

OP
Dalum

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I didn't want it to come of as some snobish eliteist when I said that above. Sorry if it came across that way.

SethG

White Belt
Reaction score
Well I don't think that came across as elitist.... Anyway, I am a fan of keeping our arm stretches to keep the habit for the amount of MA we'll be instilling next season, but I have also read in a couple of journals while in school (science dork here) the stretches are not all good... it's better to do cardio and warm the body and continue on from there...

I did SCA heavy weapons while at MSU and knew one guy who would faithfully stretch every day before combat practice. Let's call him Jeff.
So in his first week... dislocated shoulder. Not his first time... but still a lot of pain. Next week, dislocated hip. Then he went and saw his Dr. And guess what, the Dr. told him that people have fun lil chemicals and enzymes that help the body out in times of flight or fight responce to stay limber and get them out of harms way without hurting themselves too much. Some people have more than others, this was Jeff's problem. So no more stretching and he stopped dislocating joints.

Now the point of my lil story... Kids also have a lot of elastic enzymes that's why they are little monkey people... I am not a Dr. or even a true expert (I am just regurgitating a story) But I am curious as to how much stretching becomes dangerous.

Anyone else have knowledge of this? or am I mistaken... I will admit if I am wrong. -I'm good like that.
-Seth

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As others have said, cold muscles don't stretch. We just do range of motion stretches for kids, side bends, forward bend, waist twist, good to go. Then we do dynamic stretches, rising kicks-supposed to be a gentle progression as you get to your optimum level. Then side rising kicks. 15 of each. You can also do back rising kicks for the quads. Then pushups and start the workout. The important stretching is at the end of the class but mostly we just do hamstring stretches at the least. During the middle of the class, as sort of a break, you can have them do side and front split stretches. Kids are already pretty flexible. Its us older ones that need it more! TW

Latest Discussions