The most expensive

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is the most money you have spent on a seminar, private lesson, or year of training? I'm looking for Martial Talk's loosest wallet. :ultracool

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Uhhh ... does that include a test fee?

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, my double promotion the other week in jujutsu cost me $16 dollars...

Probably the most would be $100 for a one day taekwondo seminar, but it included 3 square meals and training with Coach Han Won Lee and Master Geoff Booth from Australia. I also got to witness, and participate in, the two people testing for 4th dan. The meals were actually quite good, so I'd only put the actual cost of training at around $50-$60. And that alone would have probably been worth hearing Coach Lee, the 2000 US Tae Kwon Do olympic coach say that I'm a big boy and "kick hard" and should start competing...

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've paid $75.00 for a one hour for a private lesson; on several occassions. Once driving three and a half hours each way to the seminar, and paying $50.00 for the seminar.

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Probably the most I ever spent was when I attended the 1st Gathering of Eagles in Vegas. I don't recall the exact amount I spent, but figure on round trip airfare, hotel, seminar weekend, food, and a lil gambling ;)

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For myself and my three sons, Monthly costs + Testing fees + Competition costs generally run around $4200/year.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Upper rank tests (6th and above) in Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan can cost up to $12,000 dollars, I've heard.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
International Martial Arts Symposium, in Columbia, SC.

$200 for Friday night, all of Saturday, and Sunday morning. I stayed with a local friend, so hotel costs weren't an issue.

I'm not complaining one bit, though. It was worth every penny, and I intend on returning year after year.

I probably ran into some of y'all on this forum, over there. :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Upper rank tests (6th and above) in Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan can cost up to $12,000 dollars, I've heard.
:eek::erg::anic::uhoh:
That's disgusting. Cho Dan goooooood.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:

I've heard the same thing in some systems. Once you reach a level where they know you're going to benefit financially, they want a cut.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
£25 for a seminar - a really awesome one!

£22 assessment - in my organisation they rise in small increments, i think my next for will be at about £25 or maybe they will hold at £22, i'm unsure.

I pay a small monthly fee to my teacher for lessons, i get privates for free within that, its just a case of arranging them, i get between 2 and 6 privates a month on top of 8 regular lessons.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've spent more than $300 (not for seminars, or training) but rather to volunteer to judge at a national kickboxing event on more than 1 occasion. Airfare, hotel, food, etc.

I'd gladly do it again, if I could find the time.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The most I've paid is $60 for a 2 hour form seminar. Well worth it. Private lessons are included in my tuition.

My biggest capital outlay (other than silks for competition) has been tournament feels, which usually run about 130 and includes 6-7 events.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, We have an annual Seminar-Kempo training (three days)in Las Vegas every year. Seminer fees are $275.00, plus cost of air fare to and from Hawaii with rooms is about $700.00 for one person, (my son and I -$1,400) Meals? Hum? (buffets) Yes!!!!!.

It is using the Hotel machinces that creates the most cost? Especially the one with one arms. ( weight training for the wallet)

Ice machines are free!

We try to go everyyear and it seems worth it!

Next year it is at the "Plaza Hotel" Jun 29- Jul 3-2006 (one is a free day with a night Banquet. ....Hope to be there next year.........Aloha

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel sorry for anyone that tops me.

monthy training costs, NOT including replacement sparring gear or tournament fees - just lessons and class - $329.50 a month.

It's worth every penny and then some though.

EDIT - and I still find the cash for supporting membership. I'm a good person, what can I say? And cute. and modest, too.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Then that's all that matters isn't it?

It's one thing to know that logically, its another to do the math and realize how much I've spent... :shrug:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a lot of money. I assume you get a massage and gourmet meal after every class? Is there valet parking?

Latest Discussions