Oww! Thank you sir!

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Must have the pain! I consider conditioning one's body against pain and hardship to be just as important as physical conditioning when it comes to fighting/sparring. Its the main reason why I do iron body, and the main reason why I prefer rougher sparring sessions than most. Naturally, I stop at the point of injury, since that has the side-effect of having to cut back on practice, but all said and done, I can agree with 47MartialMan's above statement.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One downside I have is there are certain kinds of pain I don't feel until a bit of damage has been done. For instance, I have a sensitive mouth ... but if I have a cavity, I don't feel it until the tooth is about to blow. Or, if I scratch my arm, I don't feel it until I look down and blood is dripping down my arm. Stuff like that.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Its weird. The same thing happens to me. I will not notice a contusion, cut, or pain, until way after their cause. Of course, this depends on the severity. Some people are "fast" healers.

In realtion to pain, on the subject of conditioning; from past experience, I do not see the need for extreme conditioning. The long term effects causes pain/discomfort decades later. Many body ailments I now have were caused by this. To de-sensitized from pain is not benefitial in the long run. Pain must be tolerated, but not attempted to have total elimination. IMEO