Training Camps

G

Gumdomaster

I posted this on the begining corner, but didnt get too many responses. Hope I would find more here.

Does anyone know of any martial arts live in training camps? I am very tired of my instructors teachings, as he is a mcmaster of a mcdojo. I want more than what he, or any of the schools around me. I have herd of BudoKarateHouse, and am very deeply considering it. I have also herd of going to china and learning from the best, but what else is there. And finaly, I have herd of Martial Science, but I dont have 2o grand to spend. Are there any other serious live in training schools?
Gumdomaster

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
umm... all of the "live-in" stuff I've seen advertised looked... well... more like a cult then anything else.

There are lots of good places to train, you just have to know what you are looking for.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gumdomaster said:
I posted this on the begining corner, but didnt get too many responses. Hope I would find more here.

Does anyone know of any martial arts live in training camps? I am very tired of my instructors teachings, as he is a mcmaster of a mcdojo. I want more than what he, or any of the schools around me. I have herd of BudoKarateHouse, and am very deeply considering it. I have also herd of going to china and learning from the best, but what else is there. And finaly, I have herd of Martial Science, but I dont have 2o grand to spend. Are there any other serious live in training schools?
Gumdomaster

I suggest sitting down and writing up a list of goals, things you're looking for in an art, etc. Check out some schools in your area. I'm sure that there is something out there, but like Andrew said, you just have to know where to look.

Mike

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like your willing to relocate so thats your answer. Relocate to an area where you can train in the kind of school your looking for.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gumdomaster, if you are seriously willing to live the training than move to Thailand and live at a Muay Thai camp. It is very affordable, you live on the compound train all day. Muay Thai is a great addition to your martial arts skills, by itself its ok but as a supplement to what you already know or what you will learn in the future it is much better.

As an example, this is a typical day: Wake up 6am, run about 6km, depending on your fitness level and how far you can go before the morning training session starts. Training starts at 8am, you should be skipping or warming up if you need to, then you work on the bag before going in the ring and doing 5, 3 minute rounds with a trainer. You have to strike the pads with knees, elbows, kicks and punches while the trainer periodically hits you with the pads (they are hard enough to wind you or give you a black eye/bloody nose) but they dont do anything if you block properly. After the pad rounds you work the bag some more, than back in the ring and spar a retired professional fighter using various limitations (kicks only, or punches only or everything) and then usually a few rounds of stand up grappling which is one of the best martial arts skills I've ever learned. This takes about 2 hours, then you eat breakfast and rest. I usually do a few muscle groups in the weight room during the 6 hour break in the middle of the day and/or take a nap (it is VERY hot so they dont train during the 6 hottest hours). Then you do the whole routine again around 3 or 4pm until 6pm (run, followed by 2 hours of training) Dinner is about 6:30pm and then you are usually tired enough to go to sleep at 8pm. I was sleeping about 10 hours a night because my body needed to recover from all the work.

I loved my stay at the camps, but it is very hard. You get better VERY fast with that kind of regimen. It helped with all my martial arts training.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Latest Discussions