Spreading the MA knowledge around

K

Koga-Shinobi

Hey You All,

Really dont know how to start this forum, or if its ben done before, so bear with me please ;). For a while now I've been surfing forums like this up and down and one thing I've always felt I'd like to see is a forum where everyone participates, regardless of style, giving a little about them and their art (sort of like the General Martial Arts Forum, but in a thread). The reason of this is quite often I discover a new MA or style, and battle to find out anything on it, not specific details like particular technique as you'll most likely see in the dedicated forum sections, but a general overview of that art, as seen by the practitioners here :) :)

So what I'd really want is for everyone out there to say what MA they train in, why that particular MA (I'm NOT wanting to start a flame war here, so PLEASE, keep it cool :cool: ) ie. what attracted you to that art, why do you still do it, what in your opinion makes THAT particular art effective (in your view).

Really looking forward to hearing everyones story and finding out about the arts out there :)

S'pose I'll start off with myself as the guinea pig. I've just started training Jujutsu. The reason I chose JJ (close call over Aikido and Judo) was that I really enjoy the throws, takedowns, and joint locks. Personally, I really dont enjoy the prospect of striking an opponent (morals, sheesh ;) ) so I've steered away from the "striking arts". For me I find it really effective, and in a way very disciplined. You have the ability to cause much damage to an opponent, or none at all. So you always have this control (Morals again :) and its very technical ie. joint locks. Secondly, I'm not a very big muscular lad, tall yes but built I'm average...so I've always avoided direct conflict, therefore boxing and karate and TKD I've stayed away from. With JJ I find a reactive art (not defensive or offensive) which is effective (as you'll no doubt know when you've got a shoulder lock, elbow lock and wrist lock applied on you at the same time - Ouch!!), in a way no overly complex to apply..and very street effective.

Why do I still do it...the rush during training when you sparring with a partner, and during all the mayhem you can still pull your stuff off. Then you know it works :)

Will be great to hear from you guys out there :)

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ed Parker's American Kenpo

I wanted something that is effective for women and very street oriented. American Kenpo is practical, works for all body types and strengths, and is specifically geared towards self defense. Its got everything I need.

OP
K

Koga-Shinobi

Hey Nightingale :)

Just a question, sooooo many people here on the threads are kempo practitioners, seems to be incredibly popular particularly in the States. Whats it about really? Dont really want an essay, just a little line or two about what kempo is all about ie. is it a grappling, striking art? Focusses more on kicks, punching, throws, locks etc? Any art it similar too? Just a little bit to give me a bit of insight into Kempo would be great :)

Thanks ;)

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Koga-Shinobi

Hey Nightingale :)

Just a question, sooooo many people here on the threads are kempo practitioners, seems to be incredibly popular particularly in the States. Whats it about really? Dont really want an essay, just a little line or two about what kempo is all about ie. is it a grappling, striking art? Focusses more on kicks, punching, throws, locks etc? Any art it similar too? Just a little bit to give me a bit of insight into Kempo would be great :)

Thanks ;)
That, sir, cannot be accurately and fairly done. I suggest you get in touch with Golden Dragon.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GoldenDragon can explain it much better than I, but here goes:

Kenpo is more striking than grappling.
Kenpo is more hands than feet.
It is very self defense oriented... we have 24 scenarios (techniques) per belt for various attacks (someone punches you, this is one of the things you can do...)

Try reading Mr parker's infinite insights books. They're available through amazon. He can explain better than any of us.

OP
F

fanged_seamus

American Kenpo (flavor = AKKI)

I wanted to study something physical to improve my strength and speed, but that didn't require a huge amount of initial flexibility. As I got into it, the self-defense aspect began to take over and that's what keeps me with it.

Kenpo's adaptability, quick "skill curve" (even a beginner learns techniques that can be applied almost immediately in many different self-defense situations), scientific (rather than spiritual or philosophical) approach, and my phenomenal instructors make it all worthwhile.

As a side-note, I fell into MA accidentally late in life (age 28). Two guys I worked with trained in American kenpo, and one convinced me to visit his studio and watch the classes. After watching a few classes, I gave it a shot. My intro lessons were more than enough to get me hooked. Even after having to take a lengthy break or two from training, it never really leaves my mind.

Looking forward to reading other people's responses....

Tad

Latest Discussions