Own nunchaku, go to prison - Felony in California

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then quite honestly, you are ill informed.

First, you should note that a significant fraction of actual NRA members are also advocates for any number of "weapons for self defense," most notably the knife, but also including sticks and such.

Second, you have apparently completely missed the fact that a fair number of NRA backed and/or NRA co-authored State bills, many of which have passed, have, in fact, broadened the language and definition of acceptable self-defense weapons. This is most notably true of various Concealed Carry laws, many of which now include knives, expanding batons, and various other of the otherwise "banned" instruments.

However, this effort is hampered by several circumstances. First, it is a State-by-State affair. In most cases, each individual State's laws must be addressed. Additionally, the NRA is first-and-foremost interested in specifically firearms rights. Their, quite understandable, primary goal is expanding firearms rights. If they can expand additional self-defense weapons along the way, that is good but secondary to their goal. Further, because that is secondary to their goal, often times NRA backed bills will have to choose between which advances they may make, easing of firearms restrictions or easing of non-firearms restrictions. This is a simple decision for the NRA. Finally, it is pretty common for NRA backed/co-authored bills to include eased restrictions on non-firearms self defense weapons after the highest priority goals have been achieved in earlier legislation.

Living in Ohio, myself, I've seen this slow progression and all of the mule-muffins that must be passed first before a reasonable CC law is achieved. Here in Ohio, for instance, the original CC law which passed included an insane requirement that the firearm being CCed must be exposed and plainly visible when the person was driving a car. <boggle> This was allegedly added in order to keep LEO's "safe" during a traffic stop, but everyone knows the real reason was just to make one more difficulty, one more hoop to jump through which might discourage people from CCing. We in the Ohio firearms for self-defense community accepted that we would have to deal with this goofball restriction in order to get CC passed in the first place. No one of us liked it. It took around 2 years, ims, to finally get just that part "fixed." And we still have a long way to go. I'd love to have expanding batons, bowie knives, slungshot, brass knuckles, gravity knives, and all of the other stuff currently outlawed in Ohio code added to the list, but we just aren't there yet.

Of course the desired end point is "constitutional carry" for all self defense weapons, but geez, it's been an upward battle just to get this far. And your complaint seems to be, "you guys ain't do'n it fast enough to suit me!"???

Well, gee willikers, friend. Join or start and advocacy group yourself. While I'm not familiar with any "Nunchuka Advocacy Group" I do know of one or two knife advocacy groups.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

not in my state, in my state any weapon that is not a hand gun is illegal if the blade is more then 3 1/2 inches long to carry concealed. they do not usually push that blade length with a folder unless your accused of committing a felony with it.. like robbery. but you may not carry a fixed bladed knife with say a 6 inch blade on the other side from the pistol.. it is a concealed handgun license only. I would love to see constitutional carry for all weapons and just hold those who misuse the any weapon responsible for their actions.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
The idea is not to make it harder for criminals to get weapons. The idea is to make it harder for law-biding citizens to get weapons. There is a idea keeping guns out of the hands of law-biding citizens could lessen "the need" to purchase weapons. The idea is to lesson the need, thus lesson the manufacture, thus lessen the amount of weapons available.

Criminals get weapons easier than the "law-biding citizens"

of course! even on Okinawa when they had the most draconian weapons laws in the world the criminals always had weapons!! weapon control has never worked!! never!! not historically and not now. and if they try much that way in the USA I HOPE and PRAY for major RESISTANCE in every form!

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Chinto,
Go back and read post #43. Since you're responding to others. Please respnond to my ****ing post!

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, We're all stupid clowns here in CA. Where are you from? Must be paradise. i was going to neg rep you for this but decided not to.

lol.. I was refering to the clowns in police who are so "no one but a cop should have any weapon!" group. I have relatives in Bazurkly! I have had a cop there actually tell me that!!! sorry I missed this one some how in the last week or two.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
not in my state, in my state any weapon that is not a hand gun is illegal if the blade is more then 3 1/2 inches long to carry concealed. they do not usually push that blade length with a folder unless your accused of committing a felony with it.. like robbery. but you may not carry a fixed bladed knife with say a 6 inch blade on the other side from the pistol.. it is a concealed handgun license only. I would love to see constitutional carry for all weapons and just hold those who misuse the any weapon responsible for their actions.
Like I said, here in Ohio, the CCW license does not cover expanding batons &tc. We, as a State, are late to the legal CC party. I look on with jealousy at other States who's laws are less restrictive. :)

But we're working on it. ...slowly. <sigh>

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Man, Illinois sucks. We can't carry hardly anything. We might be the only state in the union with no concealed carry law.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lol.. I was refering to the clowns in police who are so "no one but a cop should have any weapon!" group. I have relatives in Bazurkly! I have had a cop there actually tell me that!!! sorry I missed this one some how in the last week or two.

I know where you're coming from on this and I agree. I just felt like giving you a bad time :) . I'm allowed to call Californians clowns but you're not, LOL.

Last edited:

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I know where you're coming from on this and I agree. I just felt like giving you a bad time :) . I'm allowed to call Californians clowns but you're not, LOL.

I realise this may have some weird reply, but what does a "Californian Clown" look like?