what in the world did I just do....

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ever agree to something and then go 'Um, wtf was I just thinking?' My other instructors and myself are holding a demo at the Y this saturday. I'll be happy if 20 people show. We've talked about getting out in front of some small groups, getting experience with the whole demo thing and then trying a big group. I called up the mother of one of my students tonight, she's a Cub Scout den leader, to talk about maybe doing some sort of demo for them. She was in a scout council meeting and put me on speaker phone. Long story short, I've got a demo for 60+ cub scouts in 10 days.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't get too worked up over it. Take some kicking pads and let them pound them. Show them some sparring. Break some stuff. :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great advice DD, kids love to get involved, adults, now there's a slight problem.

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's just the size of the group. I've never had more than say, 25 in class at once. It's not the material I'm worried about.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Remember, more people fear public speaking than death.

As far as I know public speaking never outright killed anyone. Just relax, use the material you are comfortable with. It sounds like you already have it figured out.

Just don't forget to breathe. :)

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
treat it the same as you would for say 10 kids, just more pads and perhaps a few upper belts to help... let them kick, and punch, and maybe show a little other stuff in demo with your upper belts.... its covered.

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lessons learned today - Hands on self defense = great, kids love it. Watching some self defense they can't take part it = boring. Seeing boards break = great. Watching Zack repeated throw me on the mat (he's studied Hapkido as well as TKD) = BEST THING EVER. Seriously, at the end when I asked if there was anything they wanted to see again, first hand up wanted to see me thrown again. Pics coming soon.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lessons learned today - Hands on self defense = great, kids love it. Watching some self defense they can't take part it = boring. Seeing boards break = great. Watching Zack repeated throw me on the mat (he's studied Hapkido as well as TKD) = BEST THING EVER. Seriously, at the end when I asked if there was anything they wanted to see again, first hand up wanted to see me thrown again. Pics coming soon.

Yeah, board breaking really gets people excited. Try doing some board break combos, if you have time to drill them. Do you teach weapons? Forms normally bore an audience, but if somebody's swinging a weapon around that's a little more interesting. Good luck!

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As a demo gimick, I've always loved the apple off a sword. Flashy, cool looking, explosive, and kids tend to love it.

Careful not to cut yourself though.