Other Hobbies

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hobbies...hmmm....I put my B.Mus. to good use by playing bass in a classic rock cover band with my friends ;)

My serious hobbies are photography and hiking, preferably combined. I'm not a particularly good hiker, but I think I'm turning in to a decent photographer. I love northern New England, esp. the White Mountains region. I love it so much, I'm trying to position myself as a local artisan for the area, trying to get my captures of local images in to local hotels and restaurants. A major restaurant in the region has my work on permanent display and a couple local hotels/inns have been expressing interest. My 'dream' is to promote not just my art but the region/state as well. I'd like to help keep our economy strong, and perhaps someday work with the state's department of tourism.

Its probably not a "typical" track for a photographer to take, but when you do what you love, it feels less like work and more like fun. I'd like to give a shot at having fun with this for awhile. If it doesn't work out, I may try something different. :)

What is a "not particularly good hiker", Carol? Do you fall down a lot? :)

I try to do some woodworking on occasion, limited because my shop is my backyard, and I have a 2 and a half year old... I mountain bike, occasionally, more occasionally than I'd like because I have a 2 and a half year old. I work out; fortunately the gym has a child sitting service because I have a 2 and a half year old. I read, mostly SF&F, though far from exclusively, but not nearly as much as I might like because I have a 2 and a half year old.

Oh... and I have a two and half year old to keep me on my toes!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is a "not particularly good hiker", Carol? Do you fall down a lot? :)

I try to do some woodworking on occasion, limited because my shop is my backyard, and I have a 2 and a half year old... I mountain bike, occasionally, more occasionally than I'd like because I have a 2 and a half year old. I work out; fortunately the gym has a child sitting service because I have a 2 and a half year old. I read, mostly SF&F, though far from exclusively, but not nearly as much as I might like because I have a 2 and a half year old.

Oh... and I have a two and half year old to keep me on my toes!

I actually do fall down a fair bit...LOL. I'm very slow on the trail. I've seen people march past me, summit the peak, turn around and come back while I'm still creeping my way up. I still get out there tho. :) And more conditioning during the week will help a lot.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually do fall down a fair bit...LOL. I'm very slow on the trail. I've seen people march past me, summit the peak, turn around and come back while I'm still creeping my way up. I still get out there tho. :) And more conditioning during the week will help a lot.

Why would you consider this a bad thing? Slow down, and you can actually enjoy the scenery. Same thing happens to us when we're jeeping or hiking. I just figure they're missing out.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why would you consider this a bad thing? Slow down, and you can actually enjoy the scenery. Same thing happens to us when we're jeeping or hiking. I just figure they're missing out.

LOL, I had a heck of a time enjoying the parking lot at the beach while I waited for a tow to pull my truck out of the sand....cured me of offroading....:D

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I enjoy writing stories. I do some fabric art, dying and batik. Omar, sounds really cool. My dad has been restoring old string instruments for as long as I can remember. He is primarily interested in pre-WWII era tenor and plectrum banjos, but also like old ukuleles, banjo ukuleles, mandolins and guitars. It's a cool hobby.

Sounds great man. My hobby started fr4om the fact that it's so hard to find a good, solid guitar that has the feel I like. Started with me changing the pickups and neck on my first solidbody (a Jackson PS4). After that I got into custom built Carvins then after I've become quite the gear snob.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL, I had a heck of a time enjoying the parking lot at the beach while I waited for a tow to pull my truck out of the sand....cured me of offroading....:D

Wasted money... any offroader would have been able to tell you that the trick to sand is to let the air out of your tires. :)

Also helps with traction in other situations. That's why I installed the beadlocks. And an onboard air compressor.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wasted money... any offroader would have been able to tell you that the trick to sand is to let the air out of your tires. :)

Also helps with traction in other situations. That's why I installed the beadlocks. And an onboard air compressor.

:lfao:

I shall keep that in mind for the next trip, though I doubt I will be allowed to drive! :D

(FWIW, the tow cost us only 40 bucks and a dinner...I got lucky...minus of course the shredded mat and the trailer plug that got busted off...)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I play Scrabble. I read a lot, I like fiction best. And movies, anything that has to do with movies. And dogs, dogs are the best.

decepticon

Green Belt
Reaction score
I used to have lots of hobbies, but now I have a 13yo daughter, so trips to the mall and endless conversations about hairstyles, makeup, and who said what to whom take up much of my time ;)

The hobbies that I do still try to make a little time for here and there are fiber work and primitive survival skills. We used to keep sheep and I learned how to shear them, process wool, spin, weave, felt, and crochet with it. Also, as a result of a school project a couple of years ago, I got involved in learning about primitive lifestyles and have since spent a fair amount of time learning to throw atlatl, brain tan deer hides, do leather work, a little flint knapping, foraging for wild edibles, etc. My two current efforts in this area are learning to make fire with a hand drill ("rubbing two sticks together") and Cherokee finger weaving.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Its a lot harder to find people to hike with. Many of the more "beginner" (for lack of a better word) hikers don't have the stamina I have and can't handle the distance. My regular hiking buddies have the stamina but also have speed much of book time. We typically only go out together when someone wants a slower day.

As a result, I hike alone quite a bit. Yeahyeahyeah the hiker code says you should never hike alone. I do anyway and I like it :lol:

Had a few..um...interesting days of saving myself. So far I've dragged myself of Mt. Osceola when a fast moving strain of strep shot my temp way up to a level that made an urgent care nurse a bit concerned. That was probably the worst. Next worst was spraining my ankle on the Hi-Cannon Trail, taping my ankle with duct tape (it fixes everything!) and having to limp off Cannon mountain. Bad as that was, that still wasn't as bad as the fever with strep. Not sure what a hiking buddy could have done differently, I still had to drag my *** back to the trailhead.

I have a passive avalanche reflector sewn in to my parka, but should really get more for the winter. Probably going to pick up a GPS SPOT....grumble grumble. Atsa hefty amount of base weight for something that still has bugs, but the fancier beacons are just not in my budget.

kegage

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ohhhh, I am so inviting myself over for a tasting!
Cooking and brewing! I need to dust my pseudo japanese cooking off again!

You're more than welcome. For the mead and the cooking. Depending on where you are in tornado alley it might not be that far of a trip.

The mulled spices mead I have in secondary fermentation/ aging won't be ready until January though.

Kevin

kegage

Green Belt
Reaction score
i love to BBQ. I've dabbled in the competitive BBQ local circuit and BBq catering I love it. Nothing better then some ribs on the smoker cold beverage in your hand and good friends.

You must have seen that I am in Memphis. The above is definately one of those "It don't get better than this." things.

Kevin

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I started thinking of business ideas years back and began slowly putting myself through my PPL. I am just a few hours remaining until I gain my licence in one of these R44.

http://www.blacktomato.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/heli.jpg

Though I have been a few hours short for really QUITE A TIME now since I can no longer afford the stupidly stupid rates :( So now I just fly my ANCIENT and horribly abused Carrera 911 around town. Well, when I say fly, I mean in 100yd inter-traffic-light dashes ha :D.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started thinking of business ideas years back and began slowly putting myself through my PPL. I am just a few hours remaining until I gain my licence in one of these R44.

http://www.blacktomato.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/heli.jpg

Though I have been a few hours short for really QUITE A TIME now since I can no longer afford the stupidly stupid rates :( So now I just fly my ANCIENT and horribly abused Carrera 911 around town. Well, when I say fly, I mean in 100yd inter-traffic-light dashes ha :D.

Aye, I hear ya about stupid rates. I've been 5 classes away from a 2nd Bachelor for the same reason. Hope you get it at some point tho!

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Aye, I hear ya about stupid rates. I've been 5 classes away from a 2nd Bachelor for the same reason. Hope you get it at some point tho!
SECOND Bachelor? Wow, you are a boffin!!: :D Will this qualification Carol be in the same area or does this widen your expertise in yet another field? Can I ask what your qualifications are specifically Carol please? :)

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
My main hobby would be trackriding, love it :)

my track mule CBR600FV (F3 steelie)

5822650784_919bc03da5_z.jpg

6046068656_7660053e5b_z.jpg

me on bike 23 at Ron Haslam Race School earlier this year
5978375881_9e920acf07_z.jpg

and finally my baby, my road bike. CBR900RR 954 FireBlade
5998408682_0e435903c5_z.jpg

money allowing im on track every couple of weeks. its off the track now partly as its getting to winter and partly as i've taken the forks and shock off to be re-conditioned and setup ready for next season.

one of my mates races and his race owner as asked me if id be interested in racing. definitely but my plan is to do some solid training next year as i know i can go a lot faster if i iron out some of my bad habits and then sign up :D

my other hobby would be playing with my car (Civic Type-R EP3). like to keep it looking normal so no silly bodykits etc.. but i like to tinker underneath. its got an LCD, uprated suspension, rollbars, brakes and a few engine bits. needs mapping but should hit around 250bhp when done. not half bad for a n/a 2.0l engine. dont think you get these in the US. closest would be the Si

5195320113_53987235d3_z.jpg

5340065774_d73ee1fa65_z.jpg

so i guess overall im just a bit of a petrolhead :D

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Back home I was always into hiking, and working with my hands ( woodworking and knifemaking). But when I cam e to Japan there was no way to haul my tools with me and no where to keep them if I had. So here I cook anything and everything, especially baking. The internet was a godsend. If I couldn`t find it at a local grocery, I learned to make it.I also read alot if I can get my hands on something in English.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SECOND Bachelor? Wow, you are a boffin!!: :D Will this qualification Carol be in the same area or does this widen your expertise in yet another field? Can I ask what your qualifications are specifically Carol please? :)

Same field :D All the computer science courses I took in the Continuing Ed department brought me very close to another degree. My Bachelor's from Berklee was academically rigorous enough to supply the supporting liberal arts and general ed requirements.

I'm a telecoms engineer. VoIP, Cisco, Linux, Security. In the US, manufacturing of equipment for the service provider and carrier space has become such a race to the bottom. All the remaining American manufacturers/assemblers are being bought out by larger corps that decimate the company, offshore the manufacturing to China and the testing to Vietnam, then keep a few remaining Americans around to clean up any mess. :( I've been though that twice so far and I'm done. Even though my new corporate overlords asked me to stick around after they took a hatchet to the company that employed me for 5 years, I decided to take a hike.

So, now I work for a company that makes a specialized communications system for military/law enforcement/public safety uses. We help people finish up their day with the same amount of body parts they had when they started it.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Same field :D All the computer science courses I took in the Continuing Ed department brought me very close to another degree. My Bachelor's from Berklee was academically rigorous enough to supply the supporting liberal arts and general ed requirements.

I'm a telecoms engineer. VoIP, Cisco, Linux, Security. In the US, manufacturing of equipment for the service provider and carrier space has become such a race to the bottom. All the remaining American manufacturers/assemblers are being bought out by larger corps that decimate the company, offshore the manufacturing to China and the testing to Vietnam, then keep a few remaining Americans around to clean up any mess. :( I've been though that twice so far and I'm done. Even though my new corporate overlords asked me to stick around after they took a hatchet to the company that employed me for 5 years, I decided to take a hike.

So, now I work for a company that makes a specialized communications system for military/law enforcement/public safety uses. We help people finish up their day with the same amount of body parts they had when they started it.
Though it sounds like corporate gaming with people's livelihoods is the order of the day I hope at least your "overlords" (goodness, that sounds ominous!!) realise the dedication you have to your field of endeavour! I bet there are not so many women doing what you are doing? Or maybe that is an old view? Oh and can I ask you about something too please Carol? I asked this recently and it was suggested that you would know about it... http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=55722 Does this emergency test in a few days include internet providers?

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hobbies...hmmm....I put my B.Mus. to good use by playing bass in a classic rock cover band with my friends ;)

The more bassists the better. I knew you were a degree'd muso, but not that you were a fellow bassist. :)

I've been taking my bass playing more seriously of late, having taken on a couple of students again also. I've decided to finally take up double bass and have found a very reputable classical instructor. Now I just need to get myself a good bass and a decent bow. After that, I'm off to tackle some Oscar Pettiford bass solos.

Asides from MA and music, I'm also an old school pen and paper rpg'er (Hârn, Tekumel, C&S) with some more current rpgs thrown in. Pass the Cheetos and the Mountain Dew:

My wife and I also enjoy the Xbox and are trembling in anticipation for Skyrim.

Asides from that, we have two large dogs (English Mastiff and a Great Dane) that require a fair amount of time. Totally worth it, though.

Best regards,

-Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions