Organizations... I don't get it

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are many large tkd clubs (with literally thousands of members) who spar using olympic tkd ruleset but are not affiliated with the kukkiwon/WTF and therefore are unable to compete in the olympics. Many clubs were once affiliated years ago but chose to discontinue their affiliation due to the direction kukkiwon tkd was heading but still spar using the the same ruleset.
More specifically, they would be not affiliated with USAT. There is no WTF club membership or affiliation.

Same goes for the Kukkiwon. There is no club affiliation. You either use the Kukkiwon for certification or you don't.

Daniel

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Based on that it would appear that this would severely limit the number of athletes that could get to the Olympics and possibly impact the team’s ability to win, that is if other countries do not do the same thing.

And if this list is correct it does appear that the US does not do to well in TKD at the Olympics

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Based on that it would appear that this would severely limit the number of athletes that could get to the Olympics and possibly impact the team’s ability to win, that is if other countries do not do the same thing.

And if this list is correct it does appear that the US does not do to well in TKD at the Olympics

Taekwondo has its organizational peculiarities. The olympics complicate them further.

I find it interesting that this thread has become almost entirely about taekwondo and the olympics. The olympics big and flashy, but really are such a small part of taekwondo as to be, frankly, unimportant.

The major issue in taekwondo is that the largest organization, the WTF and the world wide recognized certification body, the Kukkiwon, have shifted the focus of taekwondo to sports. That is not to say that there is no focus on the art or on self defense, but the primary focus is on sport taekwondo at the present time.

I think that this illustrates the fact that organizations have much greater importance and role when there is a competition circuit.

If you're just teaching people to defend themselves, the organization issue becomes one of credentials. If you are not in law enforcement, the military, or already a recognized self defense expert, organizational ranking is your credential that says, 'I know what I'm doing.' Whether or not you do is another story.

Beyond that, if competition is not a part of your curriculum, then an organization is of little importance.

Daniel

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I find it interesting that this thread has become almost entirely about taekwondo and the olympics. The olympics big and flashy, but really are such a small part of taekwondo as to be, frankly, unimportant.

I find it interesting it became about TKD at all since my original statement was directed towards all MA organizations.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well it doesn't get much more twisted and involved than the IOC. The ultimate in Political Sport Organisations. As soon as Sport becomes Olympic the IOC can start making demands and the sport must change. Sometimes it gets better, sometimes it gets worse but it's allways evolving depending on what the popular culture is doing at that time.

I think it will be interesting when Karate gets to Olympic prominance. The in fighting should be enlightening to watch.

Lori

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That was why I found it interesting as well.

Not so strange. TKD is the poster child for having MA organizations, and there are lots of TKD participants on MT, myself being one of them these days. People talk about what they know.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score

Very true. I live in australia and many tkd clubs here are ceasing to be affiliated with the necessary bodies that would allow them to participate in the olympics. I have personally seen some amazing tkdists who absolutely kick *** at sparring under the olympic ruleset who will never be eligible for olympic selection due to the club they train at. I certainly dont believe the 'best' make it to the olympics, just the best of those who are affiliated with the right orgs.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very true. I live in australia and many tkd clubs here are ceasing to be affiliated with the necessary bodies that would allow them to participate in the olympics. I have personally seen some amazing tkdists who absolutely kick *** at sparring under the olympic ruleset who will never be eligible for olympic selection due to the club they train at. I certainly dont believe the 'best' make it to the olympics, just the best of those who are affiliated with the right orgs.

This is sooo true, only those few can get make it withen the right org.

Latest Discussions