Banned by Taliban, Judo Teacher Instructs Troops in Afghanistan

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thought this was a good read; a champion Judoka who had his bones broken by the Taliban in his native country now teaches US troops on base in Afghanistan.

http://www.cjtf101.com/regional-com...y-taliban-judo-instructor-teaches-troops.html

KUNAR PROVINCE, Afghanistan - Every night, among the hum of tread mills mixed with the tang of sweat in Forward Operating Base Wright’s small cardio room, Soldiers, Sailors and local nationals gather to practice Judo Karate with instructor Dr. Shams Kamalpuri, Speer clinic doctor.

Prior to Taliban rule, Kamalpuri had built a reputation for himself in the country after creating five Judo clubs with more than 800 Afghans participating in them -- before seeing everything he worked for whisked away by the imposing Taliban regime.

“When I was in the fourth grade I started training in Iran because there were no martial arts instructors in Afghanistan,” said Kamalpuri. “I competed in the surrounding countries like Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan and Iran, and I won 32 tournaments.”

In 2000, the Taliban arrested Kamalpuri for teaching martial arts and beat him to the point that metal rods now hold together the bones in both of his arms.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now that's transcendence. Bravo for him!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This shows as much as anything the mindset of the Taliban, all other Muslim countries value martial arts and encourage them even for women. Iran has a good female TKD team yet the Taliban can't stand the thought of a good man teaching Judo. Totally pathetic tbh and how pleasing he has managed to overcome his injuries and resume teaching. That's bridge building between communties at its best.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
This shows as much as anything the mindset of the Taliban, all other Muslim countries value martial arts and encourage them even for women. Iran has a good female TKD team yet the Taliban can't stand the thought of a good man teaching Judo. Totally pathetic tbh and how pleasing he has managed to overcome his injuries and resume teaching. That's bridge building between communties at its best.

I remember seeing reports on the Taliban in the late 90s and thinking "Man there is a bunch of Rock eating cavemen."

One of the positive factors of this war, the killing of Taliban personel, send them to Hell for trying to make everyone else live like its 800 AD or more like 5,000BC.

Big respect to this man.

Latest Discussions