Opinions on Taekwondo?

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I have about 5 years of Taekwondo experience. What do you guys think about it? I hear people say it has weak hand techniques which to this day I disagree with. Do you guys think Taekwondo works in fights against martial artist? My brother and I, both Taekwondo fighters, had to fight 2 guys and school and they both ran away in seconds so I know it works against street fighters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
had to fight 2 guys and school and they both ran away in seconds so I know it works against street fighters.

Er, I don't think they can be classed as 'street fighters' lol.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Er, I don't think they can be classed as 'street fighters' lol.

I know right! I was sitting here trying to pick out a name for them and that's the best I could come up with. I guess I should've called them punks.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know right! I was sitting here trying to pick out a name for them and that's the best I could come up with. I guess I should've called them punks.

I have a few English slang names I could call them but they'd probably get censored lol!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I always got a kick out of it.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I have about 5 years of Taekwondo experience. What do you guys think about it? I hear people say it has weak hand techniques which to this day I disagree with. Do you guys think Taekwondo works in fights against martial artist? My brother and I, both Taekwondo fighters, had to fight 2 guys and school and they both ran away in seconds so I know it works against street fighters.
Try.
You may ask a friendly sparring in 'any' gym and deduce from there, or jump into MMA competitions that are happening in every corner these days.
No one here knows you, neither the 'martial artist'. Even in that case, predictions would fail sometimes.
What do you expect we can tell you?
Try.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Most of the people who say that Taekwondo has weak hand techniques are the same people who watch Taekwondo in the olympics and think that's the be-all and end-all of the art. It's very sadly misrepresented in the wider sports community.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Most of the people who say that Taekwondo has weak hand techniques are the same people who watch Taekwondo in the olympics and think that's the be-all and end-all of the art. It's very sadly misrepresented in the wider sports community.

True

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well to be honest there is some truth I did about a month of taekwondo when I was younger I don't count it as part of my training that's why I never list it but in a punch of training and 3 classes a week I never got shown how to through one punch there. Of course all schools vary and I was probably at a rubbish dojo that's why I never stayed but it's not just ignorance that causes those claims if I based taekwondo on my experience I'd be saying they don't throw punches at all which I'm sure they do but some schools don't teach it so don't just go saying it's people who've never done it who think that.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well to be honest there is some truth I did about a month of taekwondo when I was younger I don't count it as part of my training that's why I never list it but in a punch of training and 3 classes a week I never got shown how to through one punch there. Of course all schools vary and I was probably at a rubbish dojo that's why I never stayed but it's not just ignorance that causes those claims if I based taekwondo on my experience I'd be saying they don't throw punches at all which I'm sure they do but some schools don't teach it so don't just go saying it's people who've never done it who think that.

That's pretty crazy that your school didn't do any punches. My school talks about hands a lot especially to Red belts and up.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's pretty crazy that your school didn't do any punches. My school talks about hands a lot especially to Red belts and up.

I think there's a few like that I saw one guy on here's videos and saying he's not really taught how to punch in his school sorry can't remember names and to lazy to go look

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think WTF and ITF styles suck for fighting due to the blitzing making-contract nature of it. However those competition habits can be fixed with study and common sense. Of course taekwondo is great to learn, especially as a prerequisite for transitioning between martial arts. Taekwondo is good in MMA too since it's still pretty uniquely seen (but often by the best fighters).

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD, like any MA,is only as good as how it is trained. I personally like the fighting style of Hee IL Cho. His flavor of TKD would be very effective on the street, IMO.
upload_2016-8-28_15-53-50.png
upload_2016-8-28_15-55-13.png

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends who you get. There is a guy Jamal hassans who is a tkd instructor who also managed to train elite kick boxers. And probabaly half the hard men in Melbourne at one time.

Tarik solak was a jemal hassans trained guy. Who could be described as colourful.
Tarik Solak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
My opinion on Tae Kwon Do, please take in my mind that I am still a beginner,and this is simply an opinion. My background in the art: I am a First Dan in traditional TKD, and I have been practicing the art for about 20 months. I received my First Dan, form an independent TKD school. My instructor received his certification from the formerly known ITA, and offshoot form the more popular association ATA. So I am taught a variation of both systems with a strong influence form my instructor's own philosophy.

Now to my opinion of TKD. In my limited experience, in my cubicle of a school, I find Tae Kwon Do useful. I have been taught to kick from nearly every angle imaginable. I can fire these kicks of fairly quickly. I am taught punches, but not combinations to help set up different hand strikes. Something that you would see in boxing and kick/thai boxing. I may be taught this in future, I do not know as I am still a beginner. Most of the students in my school spar with 90/10 percentage. 90 percent kicks and 10 percent punches.

That being said we practice a variety of hand techniques well beyond punching. We practice these frequently in different self defense situations. I may not be able to throw an elaborate hand combination, yet, but I can throw a knife hand strike to the temple or throat. We conditions these strikes frequently threw hitting bags, targets, boards, etc. A knife-hand strike is one of the many versatile hand techniques we are taught.

TKD in MMA? Yes any traditional Martial Art can work in MMA. The issue is, you would have to practice sparring with MMA rules. I will tell you right now I would be at a flat out immense disadvantage in an MMA fight. For one I have only sparred with the rules my school allows. These include things such as: no knees, elbows, take downs, submission, grappling etc. Secondly, I have never sparred in a cage. I don't know the spacing well, I have never been pinned against anything during sparring. Thirdly we are allowed only light to moderate contact. I have never been struck by someone intending to put me down or KO me. All these things would put me at a disadvantage in an MMA fight.
--- Does taht mean I don't stand a chance? Not necessarily. Who am I Fighting? An Average Joe, an MMA fighter with same experience as me? Is he gassy? Nate Diaz? God? unlimited variables.

If I wanted to use my TKD in MMA, I would train MMA and combine the tools I gained in TKD to better prepare myself for that type of Sport. MMA is sport although there is a misconception that it is two guys street fighting.

Finally, TKD for street fighting. Like most martial arts TKD has strikes,techniques, etc. that can end a fight quickly. With the endless amount of variables that can happen in a street fight. Just know that you are better off than the guy who knows nothing. No matter what the aggressor MA background is. This is coming from someone who has never been in a street fight or ever plans to be in one. If it happens, I'll do what I have to do.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well to be honest there is some truth I did about a month of taekwondo when I was younger I don't count it as part of my training that's why I never list it but in a punch of training and 3 classes a week I never got shown how to through one punch there.
In any of the schools I am in punching is something you learn in the first 10 minutes of the first lesson.