Opinions on 1step sparring?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Trying to sound like what?

If you do both slow training (I do slow running too) and fast training, we have nothing to argue about here. I just don't agree with 100% slow training and 0% fast training. I also shared my fast training experience.

In the past 36 years of my throwing art teaching, there was no injury from the throwing training. We trained in the university big wrestling hall with good wrestling mat.
I was concerned that I might come off sounding like a "rectum" the curse was Auto-blocked. My point was regarding throws, unless you teach the new student how to fall and the principles of the throw first people can easily get hurt, even on a mat. My first TMA was Aikido so I have a fair bit experience with throws.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really. Some traditional schools outright replace sparring with it.
You can't replace sparring with it (which, if I understand you, is your point). Some traditional schools don't use sparring and do use one-steps. Some use both. Some probably have sparring and no one-steps.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
My thinking is complete the opposite. I prefer to be

- fast and 50% correct, than
- slow and 100% correct.

I prefer a different approach.

- Do as fast as you can with good technique.
- When your technique starts to suffer slow it down and improve your technique so that you can do it faster.

Sacrificing technique for speed could lead to something like this:

The best product is not a product that has 0 defect. The best product is a product that has the least amount defect but affordable.

The best product is always the one that works the best.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can't replace sparring with it (which, if I understand you, is your point). Some traditional schools don't use sparring and do use one-steps. Some use both. Some probably have sparring and no one-steps.

That's what I'm talking about. They believe that sparring is too dangerous, or whatever and point to one steps (and kata) as their valid alternative.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm talking about. They believe that sparring is too dangerous, or whatever and point to one steps (and kata) as their valid alternative.
It's a tool, but I don't think it can serve the same purpose. One-steps, by definition, cannot have active, responsive resistance. If they had that, they would rarely be one-steps. Some form of sparring is always possible, and some techniques are too dangerous for sparring (I'll never allow wrist locks, etc. in sparring/randori), but it should always be possible to find some form of sparring to include.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well some techniques are actually too dangerous for sparring. Certain joint locks can cripple if someone zigs when they should zag, as an example. Heck many professional fighters, including MMA fighters, are stopping full on sparring due to concerns over concussions.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well some techniques are actually too dangerous for sparring. Certain joint locks can cripple if someone zigs when they should zag, as an example. Heck many professional fighters, including MMA fighters, are stopping full on sparring due to concerns over concussions.

Once talked to a guy who assisted with seminars at YMAA (Long Fist, Qigong, Taiji, Qinna). He said the Qigong people, tended to be a bit spacey, the taijiquan people pretty level, the Long Fist people pretty aggressive and the qinna people belonged in prison :D

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"One step" may be a good training for beginners. But after that, one should move to "combos".

- Your opponent attack you.
- You counter it (so far, this is one step).
- He counters your counter.
- You then counter his counter again (now it's combo).

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
"One step" may be a good training for beginners. But after that, one should move to "combos".

- Your opponent attack you.
- You counter it (so far, this is one step).
- He counters your counter.
- You then counter his counter again (now it's combo).

This is basically what we have all been saying. That one step forms the initial base and you build upon it.

Latest Discussions