As this sparring drill being tested?

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend of mine and we were discussing the drills in a dojo and real life. The problem as I see it is that you expect the opponent to attack you, even tho you don't know how, you know it is gonna happen.
We were thinking how this can be overcome and I figured out a way...but not sure if it is a good training drill or not.
What I was thinking is:

The teacher places a student on the mat and takes 3 other students on the side. He will tell one of the students who will attack. Then one at the time they go up to the defendant and simulate a fight (in a bar, car rage or whatever). 2 of the attackers will be calmed down by the talking of the defendant while the third one will attack (which doesn't have to be clear to see, he can also pretend to be fine with the talking and then attack, typical "sucker" punch). Or the drill can also be 2 defendant and 2 attackers, which 1 might not be attacking, or attacking only later on when the fight has started.

My friend says that there shouldn't be any difference in the drill, because theorically you should always be ready to fight. In my opinion instead, when you see in real life the other person tunring on a good side your reflexes tend to become slower because you feel "safer".

What do you think?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In a training hall it is sample to practice this. In real life...all alone facing one big guy or multiple attackers in a dark place, parking lot, sidestreet,etc.

Your heart pounding,adrenline kicking in, the fear factor...heart is racing...You are not sure what there intentions are? .....You mind is going thru several things at once? .should I run? ...will they have a knife?..gun? ..clubs? ...

What do they want? ...if I give them my wallet will they still let me go? ...what if? ...

What happens for REAL....each and everyone of us...will NOT know for sure? ..how we will react and perform? Like a car accident...most of know what to do before it happens......When it is for REAL accident....most of us are shaken-up...and our minds racing...heart pounding.......Aloha

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend of mine and we were discussing the drills in a dojo and real life. The problem as I see it is that you expect the opponent to attack you, even tho you don't know how, you know it is gonna happen.
We were thinking how this can be overcome and I figured out a way...but not sure if it is a good training drill or not.
What I was thinking is:

The teacher places a student on the mat and takes 3 other students on the side. He will tell one of the students who will attack. Then one at the time they go up to the defendant and simulate a fight (in a bar, car rage or whatever). 2 of the attackers will be calmed down by the talking of the defendant while the third one will attack (which doesn't have to be clear to see, he can also pretend to be fine with the talking and then attack, typical "sucker" punch). Or the drill can also be 2 defendant and 2 attackers, which 1 might not be attacking, or attacking only later on when the fight has started.

My friend says that there shouldn't be any difference in the drill, because theorically you should always be ready to fight. In my opinion instead, when you see in real life the other person tunring on a good side your reflexes tend to become slower because you feel "safer".

What do you think?
Done right, you've got a good exercise there. In law enforcement training, we'll often set up various scenarios for trainees to go through. Some will be resolved by talking; some can be resolved by talking; and some WILL NOT be resolved by talking. The trainee obviously doesn't know which one is which -- and good trainers will even do things like put a guy in a Red Man suit (padded suit) in a talking solution so that the trainees don't key in on him as a signal that it'll be on.

The only catch is that you have to do it right; it has to be a reasonably realistic scenario and the role players have to do a decent job, and understand and play by the rules. Otherwise -- it's just another dojo game of tag...

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cognito argo sum. The normal translation of this is "I think therefore, I am". What it acctully means is "IDOUBT therefore, I am". Descartes (who came up with this during the European Enlightenment) meant that in life you can doubt literly every thing, expect one. You're doubting.
My point? Smple, everything can be questioned. So, don't look at whether or not it's effectice, but how can you be make it efective. If you question it's effectiveness, it becomes in-effective. But if you look to make it effectice (through application and understanding) it will be effective.
A hint though, work on reading body langauge to decet angressers.