Opening a school

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If my ultimate goal is to pass on my knowledge of TKD to others.. what kind of preparations would I need to make? I haven't attained my black belt, yet I have been training for longer than alot of black belts I know. I'm going back into a structured learning environment soon to move the rest of the way up the ladder to attain the coveted rank. But, whats acceptable rank for a teacher? I know that the color and rank of your belt doesn't = skill level or expertise in teaching.. but what does one do to become a teacher of martial arts.. and a legit one!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most head instructors I've seen in schools that charge money are 3rd dan or above. That said, I didn't even know what rank my sensei was since he just wears a simple black belt and he doesn't brag about his rank. I was his student for three years before I even found out, and that's only because one of my sempai told me.

Really the answer to your question depends on what kind of school you want to run. If you want to run a commerical studio, I'd suggest learning how to interact with and coach kids and their parents, since this will be your primary clientele. As an instructor, your actual martial skill will be surprisingly unimportant compared to your ability to teach, coach, and motivate others. Read a few books like How to Win Friends and Influence People. When you are ready to move on, there's a plethora of material about performance coaching in the sports section of the book store and even in the business section. The last source of knowledge (and perhaps the most in-depth) will come from a university. There are entire fields of inquiry devoted to teaching science.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some good comments above.

I'm going to assume you want to make a living teaching martial arts. (There are a few differences if you're just looking to teach as a hobby.) The first thing is that you have to understand IT IS A BUSINESS. You need to be reasonably conversant with accounting practices, employment practices, advertising, and more. You need to know how to put a business plan together, how to present it, and how to sell your product in order to get a loan. Because unless you're independently wealthy, you can't open a commercial school without some serious money. (Even teaching non-commercially, I average spending around $1200 or so a year on various things for my class. And that's IF the class fees cover the rent.) On top of that, you need to know your martial art -- in your case, TKD -- well enough to teach it, and you need to know how to teach it. The two aren't the same.

I would suggest focusing on your training now. As you do that -- take college business classes. Take some education classes, too, so that you can learn how to teach. Once you've got your black belt (and maybe a second degree, too), I'd suggest starting with a non-commerical or club-style school; in other words, part-time. When you have a decent core of students and the club is supporting itself, then you can go bigger.

And, quite seriously, develop a fall back idea, too. Because your school just may not make it.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing you need to find out is what rank you can promote to. In some styles, a 2nd degree black belt can make someone a first degree, but in most others, one would need a 3rd degree to promote someone to 1st degree.

In the big picture, I would suggest a 3rd degree in your ma style and take some non-ma classes like public speaking, cpr/first aid, and some small business courses (or at least seminars).

Next, go ahead and find out how much it is to rent a building in your area. That should give you some good heads up info. Around my neck of the woods, one would pay AT LEAST $2,500 per month for a small storefront in a decent part of town. How many students do you want, how many days a week do you want to teach, then figure out how much you would have to charge per person per month. Make sure you add utilities and insurance to your rent.

Now, can you just open a school in your style, or do you have to get permission from your teacher or organization to open and run it using their name? Do you have to pay a yearly associational due to be a branch of that school? If that is too high, would you be willing to drop your association with that teacher and organization and become and indepedent school? If you go independent, how would you get higher rank over the years (if that is a concern for you)?

All of that would be a good start.

AoG

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
BTW, $2500 per month was a serious lowball figure. You would need to think much higher realistically.

AoG

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jks9199 makes some very valid points - especially about knowing your art and knowing how to teach it; many very fine martial artists never learn how to teach. Teaching requires that you not just know the techniques; you have to understand them, at a level that allows you to break techniques down into their smallest parts, teach those parts, and then teach your students how to recombine them. Along with that, you have to teach your students how to apply the techniques, singly and in combination, and how to modify those techniques for different situations.

If you want to teach a class in another facility, start checking into community centers, recreation centers, YMCAs, and athletic clubs. Many of them have outside instructors come in to teach anything from martial arts to aerobics to swimming to coaching a wide variety of sports. Be cautious about what the contract requires, and be sure you know what your compensation will be. For example, the YMCA I teach at starts new instructors at an hourly rate; once the class is established (if it becomes established) to the point that a percentage of the dues generates more income for the instructor than the hourly rate, they give you the option to switch over. Be sure you know beforehand if you are required to carry your own insurance, and if so, how much coverage you need, and what it will cost. Find out if you are going to be a regular employee or an independent contractor; there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

In the meantime, while you're training, take any opportunity you have to teach where you currently are. Find out if you like it, ask those you teach for feedback on what in your teaching style works and what doesn't, and being to develop your own style. Take notes on EVERYTHING - if you've ever wondered about it, or other students around you have wondered about it, chances are one of your students will wonder about it in the future. You're still going to miss things - but it's a place to start.

If you start an independent school or work for a facility as an independent contractor, talk to a tax professional; things you would never think of are deductible, and you need to know what they are so you can keep proper records.

Good luck with your training and your goals!

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Market Research. If the area doesn't need another school of what you offering, you won't make it unless you are very lucky and very good

Latest Discussions