I don't care about rank.......

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by karatekid1975
No, I don't think I'd wait 5 years. Now that is silly LOL. I may skip a test or two, but not wait five years. I'd be bored to death LOL.

I would too but apparently there must be something too it but no one wants to share.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score

My instructor allowed me to keep my rank from the old school, but they learned a lot less for it there. In this school, I have to play "catch up." There is a hell of a lot to learn even for my lowly blue belt. I WANT to drop rank. I feel that I haven't earned it (blue belt) here. So far, I am not allowed to drop rank, but I will talk to my instructor tonight.
How would that work? Do you just really enjoy paying testing fees or something?

OP
M

MartialArtist

I've never been worried too much on rank. Having a certain position used to mean something, nowadays, it's easy to become one. If everyone could be commissioned a Lt. General their second year right out of West Point or ROTC, then everyone would be in the military, right?

I could get a cheesy MBA in a year that doesn't amount to anything, but I'd rather have a real one, thank you.

It usually meant how much skill you had, but I see white belts that are more promising than 3rd dans, who just slack off because they're "living high"

OP
S

Shinzu

maybe its the fact that people get too "comfortable" in their training and are a bit scared to advance. if you know where you stand, you know what to do, and how to do it.

when you advance you are un-sure of yourself and your techniques. i think it's a whole comfort zone thing, but you need to advance to learn. whether it be by rank or not.

OP
F

fist of fury

So far the opinions on this seem to point to fear or ego as the issue.

OP
M

Mike Clarke

Experience has lead to believe that I have no choice about being tested. I test whenever I'm "invited" to by my sensei.
The invitation does not give me a choice as such 'invitations' are not really the same as we Westerners see them.
I 'invite' my students to test when I see in them an improvement sufficent to progress to the next level. The test is just an opportunity for failer due to over confidence or bad nerves.
When I invite a student to test they have no choice but to test and but grateful to recieve such an invitaion.

Some of the situations already explored on this thread could not happen in my dojo due to the way I teach and the reasons my dojo is open.

Mike.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
What test fees ;) I don't pay them. Tests are free.

Heh. I can see why it'd be more attractive to hop around the ranks then. ;)

All the same, dropping down seems like a bad solution IMO. I'd rather just drag myself up to speed rather than retreading stuff I already know just to pick up the bits I've missed. (Could just be that just I spent a year at 8th gup biasing me tho... )

OP
D

DannyE

As my instructor, Tony Blauer says, "a belt only matters, if it matters to your opponent".

IMHO, rank usually does nothing more than feed the ego, and give a lot of people a false sense of security. In reality, nothing matters more, than time spent training. Regardless of rank.

Go train! :)

Danny

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by DannyE
As my instructor, Tony Blauer says, "a belt only matters, if it matters to your opponent".

IMHO, rank usually does nothing more than feed the ego, and give a lot of people a false sense of security. In reality, nothing matters more, than time spent training. Regardless of rank.

Go train! :)

Danny

I agree but many systems use belts as a way to gauge where a student is at. A belt doesn't represent a persons but the level of knowledge within that art. So since there is more to learn why hold yourself back.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Marginal
Heh. I can see why it'd be more attractive to hop around the ranks then. ;)

All the same, dropping down seems like a bad solution IMO. I'd rather just drag myself up to speed rather than retreading stuff I already know just to pick up the bits I've missed. (Could just be that just I spent a year at 8th gup biasing me tho... )

Was it by choice? I had the choice to down-grade. All the stuff at this school that I have to catch up on is overwhelming. I'd rather down-grade and learn the right way, then try to cram everything up to blue belt and half-a$$ everything. Maybe it's just me. I'm bias on good technique. I don't just want to "go through the motions" so to speak, just for rank. That's not me. I'm there to learn.

OP
S

Shinzu

i hear what you are saying karatekid. when i converted from shotokan to TSD, they allowed me to keep the same rank but it took alot of cramming and an aditional 3 months before i could test for my next rank. i think it's not everything, but it is a good learning tool for students and teachers to judge them by. the higher you stand, the more you are expected to know... and rightfully so.

think of it more like a timeline.. it has more meaning that way.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was it by choice?

Not by choice. Just circumstance... Had to go back to school so I missed one testing date, then the college club couldn't locate space to hold the testing the fall semester, so no testing then either etc. On the bright side, I have a really good looking turning kick now. ;)

I had the choice to down-grade. All the stuff at this school that I have to catch up on is overwhelming. I'd rather down-grade and learn the right way, then try to cram everything up to blue belt and half-a$$ everything. Maybe it's just me. I'm bias on good technique. I don't just want to "go through the motions" so to speak, just for rank. That's not me. I'm there to learn.

Yeah, I don't really beleive in going through the motions either. (If I did, I wouldn't have gone to class every time despite no real prospects for advancement during that whole duration...) I'd just work obsessively on my own to get myself up to speed as quickly as possible and let the instructor iron the bugs out as they arose personally. If the instructor reccomended a demotion, I'd take it, but otherwise I'd trust the instructor's judgement...

Not sure how relevant it all is since I'm not you, but eh. :D

OP
A

A.R.K.

DannyE,

How long have you been training under Tony? I've trained under him down here in Florida at S.E.P.S.I. and have several of his tapes. I like his approach and the SPEAR.
:asian:

OP
D

DannyE

A.R.K.

I have studied his system for just over 2.5 yrs. My first PDR session, was in Aug.'01, and I've been a member of the PDR Team ever since. I have attended 2 PDR sessions, and trained privately, a few times, with one of the other Coaches, Mr. Eric Cobb, who is a Staff Trainer, and he is a very talented guy.
Mr. Blauers system is so solid, it covers every aspect of real world attacks.
So, has his system worked for you, in real situations?

There is a PDR Coach in Jupiter FL., I'm not sure if you knew that? I can get you his contact info., if you want it. They have a small LEO group there also.

Danny

OP
A

A.R.K.

There is a PDR Coach in Jupiter FL., I'm not sure if you knew that? I can get you his contact info., if you want it. They have a small LEO group there also.

That would be great. Drop me an email.

So, has his system worked for you, in real situations?

His CQ method of elbow strikes are far better than I've seen on most other styles. Lets just say I know it works in real life and leave it at that ;)

I attended his 40 hour officer survial course down here.

I've got three of his tapes, Rape-safe, teaching children and one other I forget the title of. In addition to a couple of his audio tapes.

Stay safe.

Latest Discussions