The Controversy of Cross-Ranking

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Case 1: ok

My master achieved 1. dan hapkido (he never trained it) after he achieved 5. dan in taekwondo. I think this is proper, because those two arts are perfect for cross training. Now my master is 3. dan hapkido.

Case 2: ok NOT

But, i get pissed of when 18 years old achieved 1. dan taekwondo (he is wtf), and like a gift received 1. dan hapkido. Jesus, i left half of me on mat to achieve green belt!!

I asked him to show me some hapkido moves and advices (well, he is few grades higher, right) - and he didn't know even how to start. When he started i suspressed my self laughing, some white belts are better then him.

But that doesn't touch me much - i am here to beat myself, not others. His problem and shame.

I'm confused here. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Are you saying you're ok with your inst. getting his 1st degree in Hapkido, never training in it, but you're not ok with the 18yo kid? Explain to me how thats any different than your inst?

Kenpo and Arnis, 2 of the arts that I do, blend very well together too. But that doesn't mean that my Arnis teacher just handed me a black belt. No, I busted my *** for it.

TigerLove

Green Belt
Reaction score
Again, not true.

I hope that I do not come across as picking at your posts; that is not my intent.:)

Daniel

Thanks again. No, i don't mind it - well isn't the goal of the community tu pull out something constructive from conversations?

You helped, your story is pretty similar to what my master told me year ago (obviouslly i didn't listen then).

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, he couldn't not know when hapkido has so many similaries with taekwondo.

As i know (but through fog) hapkido is delivered from Tekyon and Yoo Sool, and Tekyon is ancient part of taekwando. And also, most hapkido tehniques also can be found in some ancient taekwondo style, but forget it's name.

If i am wrong correct me..

I dont know what you're looking at, but TKD and Hapkido look nothing alike. As I said, Tracy and Parker Kenpo are pretty much the same, but as I said in my post, they do have their differences. That being said, why should my teacher rank me in his school, giving everyone the impression that I know all the material, the way that they teach it, when in reality, I dont? I started from the beginning and moved thru all of it. I still kept my BB from my last school, but I never gave anyone the impression that I knew the techs and katas from this new school. I took private lessons and group classes, to learn all of that. And I took a BB test in the new school. Its easy to take something thats just handed to you. Its better to humble yourself and start from square one and actually earn it.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

If the arts are VERY similar (say, two Parker based Kenpo systems), and closely related, cross ranking may be considered to be OK. Perhaps not at the practitioner in question's present level. But it is possible...

If that criteria cannot be met there is a good chance that the ranking will not be recognized as legitimate by most.
Who wants ANY ranking not considered to be legitimate by most?

All ranking is JUST a piece of paper, if the knowledge base is not there. Bad for you, and bad for the art/s in general. Paper is easy to collect... Knowledge, on the other hand, more difficult.

Thank you,
Milt G.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Perhaps I have been cross ranked, and perhaps I mis understand the term. I, of course, find the way the process worked for me acceptable whereas many other's may not.

After achieving a 2nd Dan in my initial system of Karate, I moved (military) to another part of the country. Studied at a TKD school. Learned the material, the forms, the curriculum, etc, but based on prior rank, experience and demonstrated skill, the time in grade requirements were waived for my testing to first degree black belt, which I passed.

After leaving that school and moving again, I began studying at another school of karate similar to my original one, but not the same. Again, I trained, and was tested for rank relative to my experience and passed along with completing the instructor training program.

My original black belt took 6.5 years to earn. Because of "Cross ranking" my TKD rank took under a year and my next system took about as long.

My kenpo rank was earned after training in it (concurrently with other arts) for almost 6 years, but according to the association's bylaws, previous rank was recognized and assigned due to performance and demonstrated ability during those 6 years.

Maybe that's all cross-ranking, and I don't deserve it. Maybe it's something else.

Either way, I can only wear one belt at a time...and right now it's a cargo belt in my ACUs.

My .02

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
sounds like someone gets mcdonalds coupons for coming to class and participating like a good lil boy & girl :wavey:
dont let me catch you slipping son cause ill roundhouse that burger out your mouth ... homeslice

Not coupons...rank.

If you haven't studied the curriculum and been tested to show you meet the standard...then it's BS politics. Period. And no...it's not fair nor is that persons rank legitamate IMHO. It's no different than ordering a belt and certificate out of Century catalouge and claiming that it's legitamatly earned.