One step sparring - to step or not to step

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Given the title of the discipline, this sounds a bit strange, but there's a difference from club to club that I've noticed, and I'm interested in finding out what the majority of people here do:

At your club, during Hanbon Kyorugi, one step sparring, does the attacker take a step back and make a low block, or do they attack straight from Joonbi ready stance?

At most BTCB clubs in the UK the attack is straight from Joonbi, with a meaningful punch attack directed at the opponent's philtrum, stepping forward into long stance. The punch should be close enough that it would contact if the defender did not move.

At other clubs I've visited and trained at, including here in Germany, there's a step back with low block, meaning that we start roughly 6 feet apart, and the punch is typically directed at middle or high level (attacker's choice), still with a step forward into a long stance but at such distance that it is unlikely to make contact.

Pictures from the old Kukki TKD textbook I have suggest that with the step is the Kukkiwon way but I wonder what's in the newest edition. Are the BTCB in the minority here?

I'm not criticising the way in which anyone trains, but IMO the closer punching without the step back adds some realism, improves timing and also can preclude the use of some of the more fantastical techniques that are sometimes displayed during one step drills.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
At most BTCB clubs in the UK the attack is straight from Joonbi, with a meaningful punch attack directed at the opponent's philtrum, stepping forward into long stance. The punch should be close enough that it would contact if the defender did not move.

At other clubs I've visited and trained at, including here in Germany, there's a step back with low block, meaning that we start roughly 6 feet apart, and the punch is typically directed at middle or high level (attacker's choice), still with a step forward into a long stance but at such distance that it is unlikely to make contact.

Pictures from the old Kukki TKD textbook I have suggest that with the step is the Kukkiwon way but I wonder what's in the newest edition. Are the BTCB in the minority here?

I trained at a BTCB club until recently (for 25 years) and for coloured belts we generally did one-step by measuring an arm's length from your opponent and then stepping back in to to low block, then shout, when the defender shouts we then punch for middle section only. For black belts (and black tags) we'd go from Joonbi, only a single pair of shouts at the start of the pairing (this was to prepare for BTCB dan gradings) and then punch to the head only.

We'd never start 6 feet apart though - distance is the same either way, an arm's length, whether you step back from there (and then in) or just straight in. The only difference is to give the defender more time to react (which is expected of coloured belts, not black belts).

Hope that helps...

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, thank you. Interesting that you did it different for coloured belts -- we always did it without the step, but would initially for low colour belts have measured the distance arm to elbow.

We also did only a single pair of shouts at the beginning. Breaking both habits to go back to one steps with the step is proving to be very difficult - I keep surprising people with punches straight out of Joonbi with no shout!

By 6 feet, what I mean is if you begin at arms length then step back, the defender has much more distance to gauge the attack - about 5 or 6 feet if the fist starts at the hip.

I'm interested to figure out if the BTCB is the only org doing it this way.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
They just attack.
Both of You just stand facing each other with your hands at your sides, one attacks, the other defends.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No step, unless the followup technique requires it: one set of one-steps requires a step to sidekick. Naturally you need a bit more room for that.

So the attacker would step out into a long stance (we called it front stance) and aim the punch at the defender's nose.
Then the defender would block (depending on the set done atm) and follow with a kick/punch etc.

One required a step to the side to grab the punching arm...

But generally, no step back, but a nice big yell at the end (hey, you gotta practice breathing!)

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do one steps using the back step and the low block to then go with force forwards withe the punch aimed to the solar plexus or chin, and yes we do one steps using kicks as a atack and/or kicks as a conyer too.

We must realize one stpes ARE NOT self defense, one steps are just a tool to learn how to defend and counter using some set of rules.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Train both ways if you have the time and inclination. The added distance created by the step back provides a greater safety margin and this lets students focus on form and velocity when training. Removing the step back ratchets up the difficulty level somewhat, forcing students to react faster and have better recall of the techniques taught. It can be fun to take it one step further and have one person in the middle of a circle and have other students attack him in short order from all angles to make it even more challenging.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach one steps as a way to explain certain poomsae moves. I only teach them to blue, red and poom/black belts. I do not have them step back to ap kubi w/arae mahkee. They just stand at joon bee and yell. When the defender yells they step forward to ap kubi and punch at the face.
I personaly do not believe in one step training for self defense. We use a practical stance with a variety of punch/kick attacks for thAt.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We do one steps using the back step and the low block to then go with force forwards withe the punch aimed to the solar plexus or chin, and yes we do one steps using kicks as a atack and/or kicks as a conyer too.

We must realize one stpes ARE NOT self defense, one steps are just a tool to learn how to defend and counter using some set of rules.

Manny

Very true, they are not Self Defense. However, especially on the beginner level, they de-sensitize us for the fist coming towards your nose. A little.

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. Never seen one steps done straight out of Chum Bi. I've growing up in the ranks and now as an Instructor have always done it from the low block position. But now may play around with it with my higher ranks just straight from chum bi or a guard stance.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
In Kukkiwon Taekwondo, once you move from outside of Kibon-dongjak and Poomsae, there is no set standard, there becomes common practice with variants to Poomsae, in other words, a lot of freedom to do what the instructor likes.

Kukkiwon Taekwondo has the common practice of both starting in junbi, attacker steps back into apkubi, executes araemakki with a kihap and waits for the defender to kihap signaling they are ready. Then the attacker attacks with the pre-arranged technique (any technique), the defender makes either a defensive action (any defensive action) and counters with any techniques and finishes with the kihap.

Kukkiwon also has variations to this, such as starting from junbi, one or both partners starting from fighting stance, with back turned, and so on. There is a lot of freedom here.

Again, there is no one set standard way once you move outside of Poomsae.

TKDinAK

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Here's how it works in our school:

Three Step Sparring:
Attacker steps back with the right leg into a low block walking stance and signals "Hup!" (ready)
As soon as the defender, in junbi sogi, signals "Hup!", the attacker attacks.

Two Step Sparring:
Attacker steps back into a fighting stance and signals hup.
Defender in junbi sogi signals hup, and it's on.

One Step Sparring:
Attacker is in junbi sogi... does not signal hup.
Defender in junbi sogi signals hup and the attacker strikes.

EDIT: Just wanted to add... for Three Steps only, before we step back into the low block/ready position, with the defender in junbi sogi, the attacker measures the stance he/she is stepping into for the first movement. Once we start Two and One step, we are expected to know our proper distancing without measuring.

Last edited:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very true, they are not Self Defense.

The original purpose for five three and one step sparring was for "sparring". It was the rudimentary method to get people to use the kata movements within a structured sparring environment. From that, the students progressed to free sparring. If it were self defense, then the name would be "self defense" or ho shin sul, instead of sparring or kyorugi. All of these changes to karate, specifically shotokan karate, going from kata only to kata and sparring, happened in and about the same time as when the name went from karatejutsu (toudejutsu) to karatedo (empty hand way). Both the prefix and the suffix of the name changed at the same time; only the middle part stayed the same.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
We only do one steps as beginners, we stand relatively close together and the attacker steps back in to a front stance with a low block. The defender then stands in choonbi (spelling) and the attacker attacks as soon as the defender is set. By around blue belt all our self defence is done more realistic and one steps are virtually done away with.

Kempo-Jujutsu

White Belt
Reaction score
A friend was asking me about Ippon Kumite (one step sparring) this was my reply.

Ippon and Sanbon Kumite: What are they trying to teach us?
One of the first things I recommend to people asking about martial arts instruction is to consider everything a learning experience, and not take it at face value.
People often ask me about one and three step sparring; what are they for? they're so unrealistic! that is NOT how you fight!
How many people have asked why you do so many defenses against a lunging straight punch? (a lot I'll wager)
I too have often wondered what they were for, it wasn't until I asked myself the very question I tell others to ask that I began to gain some insight. That question is of course; What are these exercises trying to teach me?
Standard answers to this question include, rhythm, timing, distancing, angling etc, and these are great answers, and are indeed part of these exercises, yet I always thought they had to have more to them.
Another great answer would be available target areas, not only on the opponent, but on us as well. How many people neglect to see the "other side" of these drills? Do you ask yourself where and how YOU are vulnerable to attack while executing your techniques? A wise question to be sure.
To me it's important to understand "how" they teach, and not just know "what" they teach. One of the main ways I like to interpret them is that they each give you a set of circumstances. What do I mean?
Let's look at a typical Ippon Kumite technique. The attacker drops into a low front stance, gives a loud shout and procedes to "attack" you with a lunging right straight punch. You simply step to the outside of the attack, perhaps checking the arm with your right hand, and counter with a right roundhouse kick to the opponents midsection, very simple.
What does this drill teach us? And how does it do so?
As long as certain circumstances are met, this is a valid technique to attempt. Those circumstances are that your attacker has his right foot forward, his right arm extended toward you, and has yet to touch you; that's it. That's all that matters. That "punch" is simply a representation of those circumstances...how you get there is up to you to discover in your live drills and sparring.
That lunging punch could just as easily be a shove, an attempted grab, an attempted choke, a weapon attack, or it could actually be a punch. As long as those circumstances are met however, it (almost) doesn't matter! I know that if he ends up with his right foot forward and his right arm extended toward me in a thrusting manner, I can simply side step and (potentially) land a right roundhouse kick to his midsection. It can be as simple as that, or you can go much deeper.
They also allow us to "pause" the action and analyze the details of balance, posture, more specific target areas on both parties etc. and they are a great teaching tool that can be used to demonstrate concepts such as evasion, and deflection, as well as testing your root, and explaining why you use stances to shift your weight for increased power.
They also allow me to understand that if I do step to the outside (straight to the left) that I am too far away to use an elbow strike, or a knee strike therefore I will have to step somewhere else to use those techniques.
A concept I encourage people to use is what a Sensei I know calls "follow the path to the target" or; if you follow the opponents extended arm, you'll find a target to exploit such as the armpit, or neck/jaw. If it's a kick, the leg is a "path" that leads you straight to the groin, or the 'support' leg.
They also allow nervous or timid students to get used to a live person coming at them in such a way as to inspire confidence, which leads them to the next level of intensity and depth of study.

On a more strategic or philosophical note and perhaps most importantly: they teach you the concept of using the same or a similar technique to defend against a variety of attacks, thus insuring a minimum of confusion when the proverbial crap hits the fan. As well as paying attention to the angle of the attack, rather than focusing on whether it's a punch, shove, or grab.
If you wish to go deeper, you can also use each Ippon as a sort of miniature kata. To me the word kata simply means the "proper way of doing something"..regardless of what it is. Most people put on their pants the same way every morning, or tie their shoes the same way each time...this is kata. So rather than take the kata itself, or the applications at face value..simply acknowledge that they are trying to teach you the proper mechanics of the technique itself, not how to use it in a real fight, because that only comes through live training. A simpler definition would be that kata is the 'formal' version.
The Sensei I mentioned above also teaches a concept he calls "dependent and independent movement" where each "piece" of the Ippon (or kata, or self defense technique) can be a technique, or entry...a starting point if you will.
As an example let's take a look at an American Kenpo technique called "lone kimono" which is so named because it refers to a one armed lapel grab. There are multiple version of it, this is the one I learned.
Your opponent grabs your right lapel with his left arm, usually with his left foot forward. You trap the opponents arm to your chest with your left hand, take a step backward with your left foot and slam your right forearm/bicep into the opponents elbow joint, hyperextending it. You then circle your right hand over top the opponents arm, which is still trapped to your chest, and effectively 'bash' it off with your right forearm in an angular downward fashion toward your left hip, your right arm doesn't stop moving but circles up for a 'sandwich elbow' strike to the opponents jaw, smashing his head between your right elbow and left hand (similar to the opening movement of Naihanchi Shodan). Your right hand then arcs down for a hammerfist strike to the opponents groin as you twist your stance, all the while your left hand remaining up to protect your face. After the hammerfist, you take a small adjustment step forward with your left foot, and slam your right heel up into your opponents groin or solar plexus, and from there you step away and cover.
The technique (or Ippon) taken as a whole is "dependent movement" meaning each move leads to the next, or if you prefer, the last move is dependent on the previous move, which is dependent on the previous move etc.
But you can also practice a theory called "independent movement" and I'll explain. After the opponent grabs your lapel, you trap the hand, step back and hyperextend the elbow joint, now from here, you can play with it, you realize you don't have to do the technique as a whole, they are not, and never were carved in stone as the only thing you can do. For example rather than doing the follow up clearing motion with your right arm, you might instead turn the arm over and apply pressure to the elbow joint with your armpit and take the opponent down. So that one 'piece' of the technique/kata/ippon gave you a technique. Starting over from the beginning, your opponent grabs, you trap, step, and hyperextend, but this time you include the clearing motion and stop: from here what do you have available to you? A front kick to the groin? Other strikes? ..what about after the following elbow strike? Can you turn it into a throw? etc etc.
The technique I described has 5 basic movements, which means using 'independent movement' you now have 5 techniques, if you study each of those you'll have 25.
Of course you're thinking, why do we need all these techniques? We don't. You aren't trying to memorize them. Just create them spur of the moment, which even in slow motion can ultimately lead you to the ability to improvise, which is of course what we all want to be able to do.
Let's recap: these drills teach you, among other things:
*what weapons are available to you in any given position relative to your opponent, and what targets can be exploited with those weapons.
*how to adjust the position to allow the use of other weapons, and targets.
*where you yourself are open to attack, and which of the opponents weapons are most likely to be used to attack those targets.
*to get used to the idea of a live person coming at you, but in such a way as to allow you to build confidence slowly
*examples of how to defend against specific attacks.
*how to stop the action and pay attention to the basics of posture, root, stance, accuracy and balance as well as other attributes.
*how to 'follow the path to the target'
*the theory of using similar defenses to deal with a variety of attacks
*how to turn techniques, or ippons into miniature kata, thus ridding yourself of unrealistic expectations and understanding that the purpose of 'set techniques' is to teach proper mechanics, and combat principles.
*dependent and independent movement as concepts, and how to use them both to your advantage.
*how to look at the circumstances and positioning of the opponent as opposed to trying to predict which specific attack they will use..ie..how to improvise!
*a strategy for studying many other aspects of your art!
*hopefully a new found respect for the traditional side of the martial arts.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
By the way, kukki taekwondo still does have one, three, five or other types of sparring. We just call them hogu drills today. Hogu drills today serve the same purpose that the more traditional five, three and one step sparring served in earlier times, which is to familiarize ones self with common attacks and defenses.

Latest Discussions