One punch and knock your opponent out

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I cant comment on grappling. I don't practice grappling arts. Not enough experience...

Being able to one punch knock out doesn't mean too much if you can't land a hit. Means even less if your opponent catches your arm and hyper extendeds it... It seems kinda silly to rely on one thing, even if its effective...

Would be funny if their opponent one hit knocked them out first... or grapple them before they can land a one hit blow.
I don’t think anyone is advocating that it should be the only thing to rely on, or that it is to be expected. I’ve only said that I believe it is possible, and I believe it is within my capability. Never once claimed it would be my automatic go-to.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sigh. The problem I'm starting to see here now is that we're either acting like landing a punch is some high-level talent that only an elite few can do, or as though it's common to run into people that can dodge your punches like Mayweather.

Neither are true. If you can punch hard, you have an advantage on the streets. Point, blank, period.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sigh. The problem I'm starting to see here now is that we're either acting like landing a punch is some high-level talent that only an elite few can do, or as though it's common to run into people that can dodge your punches like Mayweather.

Neither are true. If you can punch hard, you have an advantage on the streets. Point, blank, period.
I can agree with that.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It can be interesting academically. But it only tells part of the story.

Im not convinced the numbers are terribly meaningful however. If landed cleanly on a good target and with good timing, a less powerful punch can be more destructive than a more powerful one. My punch does not need to be more powerful than my enemy’s. It only needs to be powerful enough to be effective in combination with my skill to land it.
At last the main point is made. If that punch lands and is strong enough to render the opponent unable to effectively continue, even for a couple of seconds (allowing an easy follow-up) it has done its job - regardless of how strong the other guy's punch may be. It doesn't have to be stronger, just strong enough.

Most moderately trained (or well-conditioned) people have enough power to potentially stop an attacker with a punch, so power is not the main issue. Skill in delivering it to a vital target - accuracy, tactics, timing and speed - are the more important concerns, and should be one's focus in training.

P.S. Skill in NOT getting hit is good, too.

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
“Skill in not getting hit”

“don’t always work out that way”

Yeah, it’s something we are always working on.
well i think it´s better to train to take some punishment . The Dojo Queen thinks the Sensei knows it all goes out & gets punched in the teeth. not used to any pain crumbles & loses. sorry but seen it so often.
I sort of understand you bro ....but.......................................

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well i think it´s better to train to take some punishment . The Dojo Queen thinks the Sensei knows it all goes out & gets punched in the teeth. not used to any pain crumbles & loses. sorry but seen it so often.
I sort of understand you bro ....but.......................................
I don’t think we are disagreeing, actually. Getting hit is part of it. Not getting hit is better, if possible. We always strive to be better. We are not always successful. Such is life.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Depends on if you have the cardio. If your cardio is bad then that hard punch drops off in power really quick.

Not trying to nick pick or be a jerk.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Depends on if you have the cardio. If your cardio is bad then that hard punch drops off in power really quick.

Not trying to nick pick or be a jerk.

Not with the first punch, unless you have a disability.

I seriously doubt Goldmouth could even run an eighth of a mile, but a punch from him when you're trying to hold onto your cornbread is probably going to be pretty hard one.

Nobodaddy

White Belt
Reaction score
1. You might miss.
2. You might get taken to the ground.
3. You might not WANT to knock someone out. Your drunken mother-in-law tackles you at a funeral? Probably not a good time to knock her out.

Nuuli

White Belt
Reaction score
Should people train the striking art before the grappling art?

IMO, since you have to deal with your opponent's punch, it makes no sense to jump into the grappling art without first train the striking art.
IMO, I would agree to a point. Now for kids, I would strongly encourage grappling arts over striking. It avoids, the automatic suspension they can get from a fight at school.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not with the first punch, unless you have a disability.

I seriously doubt Goldmouth could even run an eighth of a mile, but a punch from him when you're trying to hold onto your cornbread is probably going to be pretty hard one.
Just keep moving so he doesn't take your cornbread. Lol. Don't let him take your cornbread lol

gillpad

White Belt
Reaction score
If you can knock your opponent out with one punch, you don't need to train any grappling art. What can be more important than this in your MA training?

Because you say opponent, I assume you mean someone who is ready to fight you, not someone who is just standing there doing nothing. So unless you are skilled boxer, this is probably out of your reach. Those who think they can knock someone out with one punch just because they have taken martial arts have never actually been in a fight. Being a black belt in in any martial art doesn't mean you can actually knock out or even beat up a good street fighter. I know this because I grew up as a street fighter - and was a good one, able to wrestle (since I was a wrestler) and to box, which I always chose in any fight, since I didn't have to get dirty taking the fight to the ground. Its not easy to knock someone out -- and I'm guessing most of the 'skilled' martial artists out there have never actually been in a street fight, so its easy to let your imagination run wild with how effective your punching skills are. They probably aren't. The way to really test yourself is to work out with someone who is good at both standing and ground fighting. If you haven't wrestled for at least 3-4 years, or done judo for the same, you might be very surprised at how ineffective you are once you leave your feet. The skilled judo dudes will gladly go to their backs as they choke you with your own collar. Try knocking that out.

(Mod edit: corrected quote tag)

Last edited by a moderator:

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Alright, everybody, this question goes out to everyone here that is not trained in MMA:

You versus an MMA fighter. The MMA fighter has to follow the rules. You don't. The only thing you can't do is pick up a weapon. Other than that, you can do whatever you want.

Again, this question goes out to those of you who are not trained in MMA. Who here thinks they would win?
Why would you pick an MMA fighter? Especially if they need to follow the rules.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would have absolutely no worries, concerning fighting anyone that trains in MMA.

Latest Discussions