One leg spinning back kick

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We've been using that kick for well over forty years.

And the best counter to that kick, which you have to watch out for when throwing it, is the person holding the foot or the leg - let's go when you throw it. You usually screw yourself into the ground, hard.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I learned that kick when I was like 9. Thought it was fun at first, then thought it was silly, then thought it was a balance exercise. Cool to see it actually used.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We've been using that kick for well over forty years.

And the best counter to that kick, which you have to watch out for when throwing it, is the person holding the foot or the leg - let's go when you throw it. You usually screw yourself into the ground, hard.
ha ha ha.. soooooooo True. I actually have a video of this exact same thing. The key to prevent that is to not depend on the person holding the foot. Think of it as putting as much weight on one leg to escape the grip and the other leg to kick. If you do the kick as if the person is going to continue to hold you, then that's when you get that nasty fall.

john_newman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The knock-out kick really impressive even the opponent was not expecting it.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nothing new, but Wow! Great clip. It was wonderfully executed however in a combat setting. I have practiced this move on the heavy bag, but never threw it in sparring as was worried about controlling power. Nice to actually see it put into action. A great example turning what most would consider a defensive situation into an offensive opportunity.

I agree with JowGaWolf that the guy made a big mistake holding on to that foot, rather than using it to immediately further his own ends. (see my post on "Guard vs Block." thread)

If you change that roundhouse kick into a crescent and recover from the back kick in a crouch, you have an application from Kusanku kata's signature move.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When training for the Nationals and upper level tourneys we do a drill call "tap-tag". It is a sparring drill where one person calls "tap" when doing a move that should be seen as a setup or opening. One of many is to hold/grab a kick. It will really test the kickers balance, position bias, and vision/awareness.
A common offensive setup is to get an opponent to grab/reach for a lead leg kick and having the spin kick quickly follow.
As others have said, you cannot count on the lead kick to actually be held up, so the spin has to be done on it's own merit.
It is illegal now to outright grab and hold in TKD tourneys but it was often masked and effectively done.
In that "be ready for anything" category.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is the detailed information with pics of how to initiate the Spinning Kick.
If I have not already said it, welcome to the forum John. It is great to read new perspective. I look forward to hearing more from you.

A spinning hook kick is one of many to have in the tool bag. But I would say it is a more advanced kick that can be done well by fewer practitioners.
I have to disagree with the wiki when it mentions "the aftermath" after throwing a spinning side kick. I assume if you know and are very comfortable with spinning hook kicks that you know there are several different variants of the spinning side kick, some returning to the original foot back some moving you forward and at various heights along the recipients body.
To get really specific, the modern spinning hook kick isn't thrown the way the wiki tutorial describes and is definitely a kick more geared for tall, long legged people.
I would argue it is a more useful kick selection as a disabling move.

Just out of curiosity, how would you describe the path that the foot takes on a hook kick?

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The success of this kick has more to do with how someone grabs your kick and less about the kick itself. In short, the type of foot grab dictates the type of kick you can use to get out of it.

The foot grab that the MMA guy uses should not have been a grab at all. That grab should have been carried out as a scoop which moves the foot out of the way so you can advance and attack. But it's not enough to just move the kicking foot out of the way. You have to move that foot/leg so that it creates an imbalance which prevents your opponent from countering. If you just swipe it out of the way then your opponent will still be able to turn into the kick. The sland thing you want to do is hold onto the foot without pulling it, pushing it, throwing it, lifting it or locking it. He would have been safe had he done one of those things.
Yes especially if he had pulled and then gave him an uppercut. It was really unlucky from the dude who caught the kick

Latest Discussions