Defensive first strike

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ummm...I think he means that you are basically pivoting around your left foot...and your left foot is not in the center, it's on the left side. So you will always be on the right side of your left foot, but as you pivot around, and as your left foot goes from facing forward to facing backward, this brings your body around, effectively displacing your body, your center, by one body's width.

If this is what he means, then it fall in with what I mentioned earlier that depending on where you start out, you will be either moving into or out of the path of a roundhouse kick, and will be off-target of a sidekick either way

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, actually you can learn chamber a roundhouse kick in almost the same position as a sidekick, with both the lead and rear legs. This can confuse your opponent so that they don't realize which kick you're throwing. I find that chambering a roundhouse this way doesn't take away from the kick's power either.

I don't get that at all....

AS far as my understandng goes, a roundhouse gets power from the speed of the whip effect of bringing your hip, knee, and foot in line. A side kick gets it's power from the forward (along the axis of the kick) explosion of the hip, thigh, and rear. Bringing a roundhouse in to chamber like a sidekick would seem to rob it of much of the speed, and therefore power. I know that happens to me when I accidentally get my knee ahead of the hip rotation

I happen to like the sidekick for it's direct drive into the target. Drawback is that it's slower than a roundhouse. I'm not sure I would want to slow down the roundhouse by bringing it into the body like a sidekick

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
FearlessFreep said:
I don't get that at all....

Chambering your roundhouse kick this way will slow down it's execution, but the advantage is that your opponent will expect a sidekick and may be unprepared for the roundhouse.

You're right that you don't want to put your knee ahead of your hip's rotation. Remember, I said chamber it almost like a sidekick. Play around with it slowly. I think you'll find that some of the movement we tend to put into a roundhouse is superfluous. The power comes from the hip, and the pivoting of the supporting leg. A really wide swinging motion isn't absolutely necessary.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Ummm...I think he means that you are basically pivoting around your left foot...and your left foot is not in the center, it's on the left side. So you will always be on the right side of your left foot, but as you pivot around, and as your left foot goes from facing forward to facing backward, this brings your body around, effectively displacing your body, your center, by one body's width.

That makes sense. But what I thought Spookey was saying originally was to use the spin to move your entire body (supporting foot included) to a different angle with your opponent. But maybe I misread.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sorry for any confusion I caused. I set my frame of reference at the start of the kick with the pivot foot to the left of the centerline of the body. I also made the poor assumption that everybody has the same fighting position. My fighting position starts with feet about 1 1/2 shoulder width, feet so that a line can be run through the ball of the lead foot and the heal of the rear foot. Feet will angle from 25 to 45 degree's from target. Shoulders try to maintain an interior postion toward the body's center line.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

Regarding TX-BB's comments...

Bare in mind that you may be facing two different directions and this will dictate which direction you spin.

From TX's "direction" you will have to take a small step-over in order to send the kick in the proper direction. Therefore the target will be moved.

This does however differ minimally from my original thought. The center mass (target area) of the body is different from your footing as your stance is generally more broad than the center line. Based on this alone you must move to bring your mass over either the left or right foot. thus moving the target!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great discussion about the back kick as a counter, but what about a much easier kick, such as cut kick? If you are in open stance (i.e. opposite legs forward) as the opponent starts to do his/her back leg roundhouse kick, you "cut" it with your front leg-sort of like a left side push kick.

BTW, Zepp, you may not be a KukkiTkdin, but you sure think like one in terms of getting the target off the line.

Miles

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Miles said:
BTW, Zepp, you may not be a KukkiTkdin, but you sure think like one in terms of getting the target off the line.

Well, I have done a bit of Kukkiwon-style sparring. :ultracool Besides, our different styles still share common strategies and ideas, as we've seen on other threads. :)

Question for ya Miles: When using the "cut kick," are you actively kicking your opponent, or are you just getting in the way of their kick?

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Silly me...this came up tonight that a hop-to kick closes distance as does a rear-leg roundhouse (in turning the body around). So if he's positioned to throw a rear-leg roundhouse against me, I will be too close to him to use a closing manuever like that (I don't need to, a quick snap quick will do the same thing I was thinking..

I did, however, use the hop-to front kick against an opponent tonight as an opening attack at the very start, which caught him completey off guard, scored a point, and knocked him back a few feet, so I guess practicing it recently in preperation for sparring worked out anyways

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sorry for the error:
TX_BB said:
No step should be necessary. If you are standing left foot forward and spin on the ball of the left foot you have no choice but to move the body from the right side of the left foot to the right side of the left foot. To throw the spinning back kick you need to be committed and confident with the kick.
should have read as:
No step should be necessary. If you are standing left foot forward and spin on the ball of the left foot you have no choice but to move the body from the right side of the left foot to the left side of the left foot. To throw the spinning back kick you need to be committed and confident with the kick.

Who said I could handle english.

Latest Discussions