old school/clasic tkd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will take the full contact competitor over the self defense focused guy ten times out of ten. Full contact competitor (which is what we train for in the modern training methods) trains to go all out and hit full force
This is the second time I've read that, but having followed the whole thread, I haven't seen anyone, regardless of position, dispute the full contact issue. Regardless, having been both guys, I'd rather face the competitor any day. The guy I will never want to face is the guy who does both. That's why I teach that way. :)

something that self defense expert peyton quinn advocates is one of the most important aspects of self defense training. If you go to one of his camps, a large portion is devoted to defending against the bullet man, striking the bullet man as hard as you can. peyton is an advocate of high adrenaline full contact training.
I don't know Peyton Quinn, but I like his thinking based on what you've stated.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admin Note:

There are a number of threads that have been brought to our attention. Lets return to the topic and stop the hot pursuit of various members. This topic isn't about a particular member.

MJS
MT Asst. Admin

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
My post was closed, it seems it went wrong and I didin't want it to be that way, so sorry folks, please acept my apologies. Well somebody asked how is the class in JDK headquarters in my city. Well the class is very rounded, it has nice warm up/stretching/conditioning in the begining and it does not FOCUS ONLY in kicking drills, JDK teaches basics and advanced techs,one steps and three steps, ho-sin-sul,poomsae and kyorugi in a regular basis not only one week before the kups tests.

The average class I have seen in other dojangs (sport oriented) is good cardio for sure and mostly kicking drills and sparring (WTF), very few self defense techs, etc,etc.

I am not a sport TKD guy, I do TKD because I love the martial side of it, when I was teen I do competition, maybe I went to no more than 8 tornaments most of them as a red belt and all consited of local tournaments, I won some medals and I lost many fights but competition was not the driving force that keep me learning and practicing TKD.

I love the old way and the old methods, simply as that, maybe I am too square and maybe I am too old to change or become a super duper TKD man like Steven Lopez, or maybe because I've never succeded in TKD competition.

here in this forum thare are many sambonims that feel the new methods are better and TKD is better today than ever, and there are a small group of old f.....rts that love the way TKD was a few decades ago. Something that drove out of TKD in the 90's was all the efforts to do TKD an olimpic sport, the trainings become oriented to the olimpics and slowly things changed the way I don't liked it.

The above is my way of thinking, I won't change my feelings, I will keep trying to teach the way I like and that's all folks, a medal or a trophy never represented too much.

Manny

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its not your fault manny. The thread was obviously closed because of the same two people responsible for every closed thread. I really think its time that the tkd section was split in two. One section for those wishing to discuss sports tkd and another for those wishing to discuss sd/old school tkd. Keep those two away from the old school discussions and everyone will be happy. I started coming here 3 years ago and I can barely remeber a closed thread or people crossing the line or "investigating" other users. These two joined and its never been the same since.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok here you have a videoclip I found in youtube even this is a ITF clip I think it shows what I like of the old days, in this clip you will see TKF drom the 70's till 2006 if I recall, you will see one stpes, hoshisul,kyumpa and even kyorugi in fact the kyorugi you will see in this vid is the one I like the most and it's not Olimpic/WTF style please see the clip it's about 30 minutes but it has nice music too and let me know what you think about.

Manny

Last edited by a moderator:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Manny,

It was not your fault the thread was closed. Some posts were removed and we'll be reading thru the thread again to see if there was anything we missed. Most likely by tomorrow, it'll be reopened.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here you have guys a clip that shows modern TKD kicks,combos and footwork, this is for me sport TKD and this is the TKD I can not do, because of age,because of time, etc.

This kicking drills are awesome for sure and yes a good kicker like the ones that plays in the vid can kick bad *** too and for sure thay can end with a street fight in a dark alley but to achieve this kind of level the student has to train very hard and focus in sport TKD, I mean this is the type of training olimpic Mexican fighters do, the ones that are part of the Mexican TKD team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=Z7AJ5seXpVU&NR=1

Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny,

It was not your fault the thread was closed. Some posts were removed and we'll be reading thru the thread again to see if there was anything we missed. Most likely by tomorrow, it'll be reopened.

I think the point was made, we don't need to go on on endless discusions, don't you think, let's talk about tkd, the old one and the new one, some techs and have a nice chat too.

manny

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the point was made, we don't need to go on on endless discusions, don't you think, let's talk about tkd, the old one and the new one, some techs and have a nice chat too.

manny

Yes sir, I agree with that. Sadly, some can't do that. Like I said, your thread will most likely be reopened. Minus the off topic garbage, it seems like a good thread.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here you have guys a clip that shows modern TKD kicks,combos and footwork, this is for me sport TKD and this is the TKD I can not do, because of age,because of time, etc.

This kicking drills are awesome for sure and yes a good kicker like the ones that plays in the vid can kick bad *** too and for sure thay can end with a street fight in a dark alley but to achieve this kind of level the student has to train very hard and focus in sport TKD, I mean this is the type of training olimpic Mexican fighters do, the ones that are part of the Mexican TKD team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=Z7AJ5seXpVU&NR=1

Manny
I have never doubted the skills of an elite sports tkdist Manny, I certainly wouldnt want to come up agaist one in a dark alley, thats for sure. I also wouldnt want to come up against an elite capoiera practitioner or an elite rugby player in a dark alley either. The problem is, a very very small percentage of sports tkdists are elite.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have never doubted the skills of an elite sports tkdist Manny, I certainly wouldnt want to come up agaist one in a dark alley, thats for sure. I also wouldnt want to come up against an elite capoiera practitioner or an elite rugby player in a dark alley either. The problem is, a very very small percentage of sports tkdists are elite.

Yeah I am only one mortal not blessed by the gods of speed,acuracy,power and balance, I'm just a regular guy who does TKD because love it. I like to see TKD matches like the one in the olimpics cause it's a a nice game, I am starting to lyke the UFC and MMA even I think sometimes it's just so brutal, in the past and even now I enjoy a lot fullcontact matches you know like the ones of the past with guys like Super Foot, Don Wilson, Brad Hefton and all thet guys.

I can remember when I was a teen in high school some guys who took karate lessons got togheter to do some kind of full contact bouts in backyards, I was invited once but declined because no one know the rules set and I always think that if you want to match another guy in a sport way it's better to that in a dojo/dojang below the eye of an experinced sensei or sambonim.

Manny

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah I am only one mortal not blessed by the gods of speed,acuracy,power and balance, I'm just a regular guy who does TKD because love it. I like to see TKD matches like the one in the olimpics cause it's a a nice game, I am starting to lyke the UFC and MMA even I think sometimes it's just so brutal, in the past and even now I enjoy a lot fullcontact matches you know like the ones of the past with guys like Super Foot, Don Wilson, Brad Hefton and all thet guys.

I can remember when I was a teen in high school some guys who took karate lessons got togheter to do some kind of full contact bouts in backyards, I was invited once but declined because no one know the rules set and I always think that if you want to match another guy in a sport way it's better to that in a dojo/dojang below the eye of an experinced sensei or sambonim.

Manny
Yeah I have to agree Manny. When I was in highschool we had the "zendokai guys" and they would get together on a saturday in a backyard and have full contact fighting matches, real full contact, face punching, knees, elbows, basically anything. I was a shotokan guy and always fought under strict rulesets in a supervised setting and was not stupid enough to go along and fight. Many guys (from arts other than zendokai) did try their luck though, and it never ended well for them. This is where I first realised that "sports" fighting and "less restrictive" fighting are two very different beasts. Like you though, I have come to enjoy MMA/UFC but the ground game bores me to tears. Usually when the fight goes to the ground, I wander off and get a beer and come back when they are on their feet again.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok here you have a videoclip I found in youtube even this is a ITF clip I think it shows what I like of the old days, in this clip you will see TKF drom the 70's till 2006 if I recall, you will see one stpes, hoshisul,kyumpa and even kyorugi in fact the kyorugi you will see in this vid is the one I like the most and it's not Olimpic/WTF style please see the clip it's about 30 minutes but it has nice music too and let me know what you think about.

Manny

Nice video, Manny. Master McPhail is a very impressive Taekwon-Do technician and I remember seeing Mr. Pellow test for IV dan back in 1993. His ho sin sul was pretty cool. Dangerous man.

Pax,

Chris

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Manny, saw that the thread was closed and sorry that it happened. Like MJS, I thought it was a good thread overall and you know it was my intention to add what I could. We've talked off board about this and you know where I'm coming from. But Chris makes a good point, "Until the next time". I don't want to be a part of that. Like others, I would like to post my opinions without the same two people doing the same things over and over. There needs to be some give and take, but it is either their way or no way. I'm just tired and rambling so just wanted to say sorry it got off track and hopefully it can be continued in a better way.

And hey, be safe down there partner. We think of you often. :)

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Man you're not kidding about those rugby players!

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Manny

FWIW I am acquainted with Master McPhail. We trained together at some events, one of which was the 1993 camp which is part of the video. Good guy, good athlete. In fact I joked that on those rare occasions he had difficulty performing some techhnique, i didn't feel bad if I had trouble as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions